Sign in to follow this  
bmwrider

Who has some good Tie advanced x-1 lists

I was wondering about sensor jammers. TIE advanced have the edge in durability, so there's some mileage in taking systems which boost this further.

Tempest Squadron Pilot with TIE/x1 title, Sensor Jammer and Proton Rockets is a nice cheap unit - the agility and jammer keep him safe, but the Proton Rocket demands people actually shoot at him - at least enough to make him spend a focus token and disarm the rockets.

the problem with the tie advance was that its damage output was absolutely garbage for its price, which made it not worth taking despite its solid defensive profile

SJ does not help alleviate that problem in the slightest, and apparently neither did prockets

Edited by ficklegreendice

Why does everyone prefer an Advance Targeting Computer over Accuracy Corrector for Vader? An extra crit is nice of course, but with the Accuracy Corrector you gain close to maximum efficiency from those humble 2 attack dice, without needing to pay any attention to (modifying) your roll. Meaning you can use all your actions for positioning or defense, particulary if you also get the Engine Upgrade.

Well people seem to like both accuracy corrector and adv targeting computer on tie adv.

However personally I prefer the adv targeting computer for several reasons on vadar.

One is he garaunteed crit helps against the current large ship meta.

Two you go from a garuanteed two hits to a garaunteed 1 crit and possible 2 more hit/crits for 1 pt more.

Three on vadar you have two actions meaning you are already likely to have a focus and evade/EU each turn. The focus only helps to make your two red dice work.

Finally vadar is already ps9 this vi is not needed and so there are still several ways to help his offense with his pilot talent such as predator, lone wolf, ptl or whatever you chose. It's not actually hard to find a way to modify dice with vadar making the sole benefit of accuracy corrector redundant.

Why does everyone prefer an Advance Targeting Computer over Accuracy Corrector for Vader? An extra crit is nice of course, but with the Accuracy Corrector you gain close to maximum efficiency from those humble 2 attack dice, without needing to pay any attention to (modifying) your roll. Meaning you can use all your actions for positioning or defense, particulary if you also get the Engine Upgrade.

2 hits are solid against low agility targets

2 hits are going to wiff against 3+ agility if they have any measure of defensive tokens

you want the potential 3-4 dice with any ship that can enable it efficiently. The low PS generics can't because low PS target-locks are incredibly unreliable and leaves them naked/unable to roll, but the PS 9 double action Vader has no excuse :P

Yeah.  It sounds cool, but the problem is that your opponent can basically make your ability worthless (and leave you with stress to shed) by just shooting at someone else.

Also, green dice are just generally inferior to red dice, making it (even if they were both used every bit as often) weaker to begin with.

?

if your opponent doesn't shoot you because of your ability, you just got the best ability ever. I'll never understand why people look at pilots like Xizor and then come to the conclusion that his ability never comes into play just because your opponent won't shoot him instead of thinking "well ****, never thought they'd introduce a reverse Biggs because that ****'d be broken"

the weakness with that hypothetical ability is that your opponent will shoot you...with tactician

To me, the problem with it is that Xizor, for instance, doesn't leave you carrying around a stress die because you never got to dodge.

I don't mind a passive ability never being used because you don't get shot (like Luke, or whoever).  Those're still awesome, and as you say, not getting shot at in the first place is way better than getting shot at and getting to use your cool trick.

The problem with this suggestion, though, spending stress in order to modify defense rolls, is that it removes your ability to predict when you'll be stressed and when you won't.  You can use Keyan's ability any time you shoot ("spending" the stress even if you don't get any eyeballs, just to let you shed the stress, which is a real strength!).  You only get to shed the stress, with this defensive mirror-ability, if your opponent chooses to shoot at you.

I'm not saying it'd be worthless, I'm just saying I wouldn't like it nearly as much as I like Keyan's, where you, the player, have control about when it triggers (as opposed to your opponent).  I feel like half the merit of Keyan's ability is being able to shed stress at will (especially with that B-Wing dial), not really the actual die-roll modification.

I'm waiting for a pilot to have an anti-Keyan ability. He gets to spend stress as a focus when attacking and I'd like to see a pilot be able to spend a stress as a focus token when defending. That would be a very powerful ability on a 3 agility Tie Advanced.

That would be a super cool pilot ability for Juno.  I'd definitely love to fly her with that.  With accuracy corrector giving 2 guaranteed hits, or ATC giving the extra crit, she'd be able to dish out consistent damage and have a high chance of turtling up to avoid attacks.

I think in practice this ability would be way inferior to Keyan. 

Yeah.  It sounds cool, but the problem is that your opponent can basically make your ability worthless (and leave you with stress to shed) by just shooting at someone else.

Also, green dice are just generally inferior to red dice, making it (even if they were both used every bit as often) weaker to begin with.

I would happily pay 1 stress for not being attacked in the round...

Well, depends on who.  The Tie Advanced doesn't have a lot of green. 

====

As for the idea of ATC with Vader....I think having someone with a higher attack value is needed for those high agility ships.  Otherwise you are just waiting until he flubs some rolls.  I think it's possible to do Accuracy Corrector on Vader and some will see it when people start to target Vader rather heavily.  When that starts happening, though, I might be tempted to just turtle up with Vader until the late game.  Arc dodge...or failing that, Evade and Focus.  Forget the TL until you can live to use it!  Or maybe boost and barrel roll out of the way, even if it doesn't give me a shot, just so I don't get hit and leave someone looking at space. 

No one is going to target AC vader first. At 2 damage a shot for at least 29 points, he is a very minor presence. He could become more intimidating with outmanuever, but he gets terrifying with outmanuever + ATC (especially with the guaranteed crit result).

I don't see much reason for AC on Vader when the tempest will output similar or the same damage for 8 points less. Sure, you can't catch arc-dodgers very well, but you're also not forcing 2 damage through high agility very reliably either.

I like the idea of Outmaneuver, but it's situational.  Predator works always.  If I were always flying vs. Fat Hans or Super Dash, I might want Outmaneuver more, but he's not seen in my neck of the woods much.  I do see more generics, though.  Man, Vader with ATC and Predator on a PS 1-2 guy? 

What's also great about Predator is that it works like a TL for someone with only 2 attack dice.  I mean, averages are you will be getting 1 hit in each time you fire.  You re-roll that miss and a good chance of getting a hit.  That's without any actions and any time you fire. 

Man, I can't wait for my 4 Tie Advanced to hit the table!  I used to love using Vader in Waves 1-2.  He even worked in Wave 3 for a bit, but not stellar.  This will just put him back on top.

I like the idea of Outmaneuver, but it's situational.  Predator works always.  If I were always flying vs. Fat Hans or Super Dash, I might want Outmaneuver more, but he's not seen in my neck of the woods much.  I do see more generics, though.  Man, Vader with ATC and Predator on a PS 1-2 guy? 

What's also great about Predator is that it works like a TL for someone with only 2 attack dice.  I mean, averages are you will be getting 1 hit in each time you fire.  You re-roll that miss and a good chance of getting a hit.  That's without any actions and any time you fire. 

Man, I can't wait for my 4 Tie Advanced to hit the table!  I used to love using Vader in Waves 1-2.  He even worked in Wave 3 for a bit, but not stellar.  This will just put him back on top.

you're quite right about outmaneuver being situational (it's undisputedly conditional, just read the text :P) and 9 times out of 10 I agree with predator being the superior choice

there are two exceptions, in my book

1.) Jake Farrel, who possesses the perfect mix of maneuverability and two ept slots to get reliable use out of the ept without sacrificing accuracy (PTL's target-lock covers for that). His crappy 2 dice offense practically begs for outmanuever to even have a prayer of scratching ships like soontir or fat han.

2.) maybe Vader (need to try it)

The guaranteed critical leaving only two rolls to the whims of the dice + focus make me more comfortable with the idea of leaving predator at home. High agility (both mine and my opponents') has been my nemesis since before turrets farted themselves into the meta, and with Soontir or Aggressors becoming more popular Outmanuever could earn itself a place on Vader.

I'm waiting for a pilot to have an anti-Keyan ability. He gets to spend stress as a focus when attacking and I'd like to see a pilot be able to spend a stress as a focus token when defending. That would be a very powerful ability on a 3 agility Tie Advanced.

That would be a super cool pilot ability for Juno.  I'd definitely love to fly her with that.  With accuracy corrector giving 2 guaranteed hits, or ATC giving the extra crit, she'd be able to dish out consistent damage and have a high chance of turtling up to avoid attacks.

I think in practice this ability would be way inferior to Keyan. 

Isn't Soontir the Anti-Keyan? Got a stress? Gain a focus!

Sure you don't dump the stress when you use the focus but with all those greens and Boost+BR you dont really need to. Also, you can use that focus on defense when needed.

"An extra crit is nice"

Understatement of the year, mate. You're rolling a third die with crits on all eight sides. Chances are you'll get a hit on your attack roll without modification (75%) which leaves AC beaten outright (hit crit versus hit hit) and that's without modification. ATC is incredible, Accuracy Corrector only becomes better when you struggle to target lock and keep target locked. Vader has no issue with actions or pilot skill.

It's hard to overstate how much of an advantage 3 dice is over 2.

Isn't Soontir the Anti-Keyan? Got a stress? Gain a focus!

Sure you don't dump the stress when you use the focus but with all those greens and Boost+BR you dont really need to. Also, you can use that focus on defense when needed.

Nah, the anti-keyan would be "[insert activation condition, if any] whenever an enemy [insert range limit] spends a focus token, give it a stress token." Similarish to Carnor, but the difference in potential range and specification (focus only rather than focus or evade) and the mechanics involved (stress versus "can't be gained/spent") would make for a fascinating, different pilot

(get to work on it, FFG)

(...or maybe it's Juno's ability :o !!!)

Math. Lots of numbers here:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/128417-mathwing-comprehensive-ship-jousting-values-and-more/