Sign in to follow this  
Wes Janson

Victory Star Destroyer repaint

I don't have the vanilla model in front of me... but, what have you done? 

Just using my eyes, it appears that there has been a degree of careful drybrushing, or edge highlighting? 

Or have you repainted the entire model ? 

Whatever you've done, what I am looking at looks great.

Malev

Norsehound; they come with a very plain grey with a few dark grey random panels and a simple aqua blue engine paint. Thats is 1 too many greys for my liking :P I also wanted to it to look brighter. The Empire is a beacon of hope in these dark times, and with near purity in style and color, how could you argue?

Malev; Painted the dark panels Administratum Grey, which was almost identical to the main base grey. Not the case with every model though, my second victory was darker and required more work. After that it was a matter of drybrush with the same grey to bring the colours that were out of line together. Drybrush white on the high edges being careful not to g too heavy. The engines were a different story and took the most time.

Maccrage blue base, blue wash, then white mixed with neon blue 50/50 for the outer engine glow and drybrush, followed by more white added for the internal engine nozzel and ribs.

Edited by Wes Janson

You don't need to convince me, I'm an Imperial Navy fan and will most likely be keeping my ships in standard livery. I'm just lamenting that the result is rather plan. Then again, I've been staring at garish 70s space art recently and that could be influencing my judgement :P

I am debating adding Imperial logos to the ships, even if they are small. Especially since these are older clone wars era vessels. I will debate that.

70s space art is so... funky.

Edited by Wes Janson

I wonder how long it will be until someone does a Republic scheme on a Victory, speaking of painted logos on ships.

I don't typically paint Imperial ships beyond their standard colors because I'm a fan of Standard Equipment and the lowest-common denominator guys carrying the day. But the Rebels? I love painting their craft, my only disappointment is that I can't have more ships to paint in exciting ways.

At least... Yet....

The thing about a good imperial paint job is, its not that noticeable XD

it is rather a good job. For my own purposes i think the vanilla paint jobs are great! though i may eventually do a Corvette and Neb modification thread. Probably will do mon cals too :) but im more interested in the variety and sexiness of the fighters!

The manager of my work is an insane modeler (Seth Amsden, if that name is familiar to anyone) and I pointed out LED engine possibilities. He said the model was too small, but you could get an airbrush in there and do a short blast of white into the cones to make it work.

I had thought about doing one of my Victories in Ivory, like the Devestator was in one shot. I also thought about something like an orange tint for the Fairlight, but though I can visualize it my head I don't quite know what it would look like in reality. And I'm not even sure I'd want to make one of my victories that permanently.

The manager of my work is an insane modeler (Seth Amsden, if that name is familiar to anyone) and I pointed out LED engine possibilities. He said the model was too small, but you could get an airbrush in there and do a short blast of white into the cones to make it work.

I had thought about doing one of my Victories in Ivory, like the Devestator was in one shot. I also thought about something like an orange tint for the Fairlight, but though I can visualize it my head I don't quite know what it would look like in reality. And I'm not even sure I'd want to make one of my victories that permanently.

Unless you make use of the underside of the base, sure.  I think you could pretty easily attach batteries/switch on the bottom of the base and run a thin wire up the back side of the stand into the model.  That should give you enough space since the only thing inside the model would be the LEDs.

Would work especially well if you painted the stand black, like many have done already, since the wire would be harder to see as well.

I haven't done it, mind you, but superficially it looked possible.

Anyone ever tried fiber optics as apposed to individual LED bulbs?  Makes for a smaller installation, I'd imagine.  Still have to drill the channels to the engines.  Lots of flat panels on the ship, so maybe opportunities to drill holes that are easily repairable?  I don't know, I've never done it before, but I totally want to try on these big SDs, though I imagine the ISD might be easier?  If I wind up doing it for one, though... I'm going to have to do it to all of them.