Sign in to follow this  
Malev Da Shinobi

Base and Tree Painting

Hey this is off topic, but since it's used in your photo...

..how are the squadron ID markers supposed to be used?  They are all the same...except some are grey and some are black...

They are for mirror matches. Rebel v Rebel or Imperial v Imperial

You are a  beautiful, brilliant Irishman. Thank you.

(and sorry for threadjack...the stands look very nice.)

I personally don't like the painted mounts very much as i think it's distracting. That said i really like the addition of stars on yours very creative. Might i suggest if you color your arrows alla corver's technique you go for blue on imps and orange on rebels (empire at war colors) I think it may look cool.

Lookin good though :)

Thanks all for the words and thoughts ! 

I have since scrapped the idea. (unfortunately, only AFTER i sprayed 1 core set box content black). 

I'm going to be keeping the bases black, and painted, they really help the look and blend in nicely with my mats. 

But the trees gotta go.

The black tree/stands break the silhouette. At certain angles, with the stands painted up with the stars you can get some achieve some great camouflage results, but ultimately in different lighting the solid peg/stand makes the silhouette of the model look like an entirely new thing. 

Rather than just a translucent stand meant to convey an effect. (not a 'floating' ship). 

The black opaque stands break the illusion for me. 

So, heres hoping that simple green can strip that black from the stands........... 

Like I really hope that is the case.

Malev

Better hope the simple green doesn't strip the stands from the stands.

I've considered that too. Which would also be abysmal. But, I've stripped many many things with simple green and it's never done anything to the plastics that i've used.

But, I don't think that those plastics, and the plastics used to make the stands are the same.

We'll see.

Malev

I have since scrapped the idea. (unfortunately, only AFTER i sprayed 1 core set box content black). 

I'm going to be keeping the bases black, and painted, they really help the look and blend in nicely with my mats. 

But the trees gotta go.

The black tree/stands break the silhouette. At certain angles, with the stands painted up with the stars you can get some achieve some great camouflage results, but ultimately in different lighting the solid peg/stand makes the silhouette of the model look like an entirely new thing. 

Rather than just a translucent stand meant to convey an effect. (not a 'floating' ship). 

The black opaque stands break the illusion for me.

Hi,

I'm certainly thinking of painting my bases and trees black (as well as weighting the bases), the way that I've done with my X-Wing miniatures. For X-Wing, I've found that the transparent stems and bases actually attract more attention, because they refract light. What sort of lighting conditions do you play in that make it different for you, or do you feel that the trees are particular in how they stand out when black?

Mikael, 

You actually stated the exact reason I wanted to paint them black in the first place. Is that the translucent stands ironically... stick out.

You can't see through them at this scale, so they just end up being light catchers, capturing all light and just becoming light themselves in a sense when viewed at a certain angle. 

That's what made me want to get rid of that light catching, and turn them black. But when they're black i just found a sort of reversed effect. The negation of the translucent material took away the illusion of floating. Which in the end, became more distracting than the translucence in the first place. 

The clear stands give the viewer an illusion, but the black just gives the viewer a solid shape. When you have the solid non-translucent object, connected to another non-translucent object, they become 1 shape.

So to my eye, what was previously a 'floating' star destroyer, became what it literally is..  a model star destroyer on a black stand. 

If playing only at night, in my play area, it would be good. But during the day time, I have light that casts across the play surface leaving a lot of shadows.

The silhouettes of the black make the board look more cluttered with so much shadow and the shapes of the models themselves blend together making less instantly recognizable silhouettes. 

edit: After just over 24 hours of sitting in simple green, the black is still very difficult to remove from the stands... 

Don't spray your clear stuff black, if you lack the foresight to see you may not like it at a later time. 

Malev

Edited by Malev Da Shinobi

I just spray painted one of the TIE stands. We'll see how it turns out.

I did hot glue a washer in the base of it, and at least on the base the black paint hides the washer, which is visible through the transparent base. So, at least the base being black strikes me as a good idea. We'll see about the tree.

What about creating and thinner tree for non-tournament?  Have to keep the base. 

Attach a thin metal rod to the base.  Or wood, these models can't be that heavy.  Need a close diameter and shave the rest off.  Then glue a thin piece of metal to it - or wood after reaming a small hole for the trunk part of the tree.  Then get a small, thin piece of metal, drill holes in it the size of the pegs needed in the models, and sit the pegs into the holes.  That metal would attach by glue or whatever to the trunk.

wjgo,

I actually think that alternate tree stands just might be something we see from 3rd party.. that would be interesting. 

It doesn't seem too difficult to come up with a diy solution either.

I was able to strip the paint from the stands, but simple green wasn't doing much at all. I used GW's black primer, and it appears to have really wanted to be the basecoat forever.

I ended up using non-acetone nail polish remover and manually rubbing most of it off, using qtips and a cloth. (it came of much easier than i would have thought).

Still a bit of black to be cleaned but some of the trees are back to where they were before being painted. So I am pleased. 

Actually played my first 300pt game last night am back on track to getting these stands where I want them. edit: Here's a photo of said game: dQmRQuo.jpg

Malev

Argh. So you DONT like the black trees?

Hm. Need more input.

Not me personally. Bases, for sure. The bases/cardboard being black make the model on the board look great. 

But yeah, I'm back to having all of the stands translucent. I'm going to paint the base of the stands black, the flat area that rests on the token, the 'arrow' for Hull tracking on the smaller bases, along with the token slot. 

But the stand got to stay clear. 

Malev

Might i suggest if you color your arrows alla corver's technique you go for blue on imps and orange on rebels (empire at war colors) I think it may look cool.

Thanks for the suggestion. I like it... I gave it a try, a long with other suggestions about coloring in the cardboard. Useful tricks worth doing to the core set imo. 

NV4xfKN.jpg

And another close up photo of the test paint ups of the X-wing style I want to bust. 

pxiDkSJ.jpg

I'm trying to decide if having every single arrow painted up in that colored manner would becoming really busy upon the board. Or, do I want a more subtle blended look to all the models? hmmm .. 

edit: Xmage, I actually did that. I painted up the bases for the mini tables too, to help them blend. I really like the black finish on these parts, see below. 

HgZTv4Q.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

Malev

I must say, very good looking!

I'm actually not a fan of the painted bases at all and yet i find myself enamored with your star potted bases here. They look excellent on the field, and i like the fins as unpainted.

Overall just really very stellar, and thats from a painted bases critic! :)

Another trick is to paint the bases from underneath. This way they retain their shiny plastic surface.

DLaZqxo.jpg

Love it.  Reading this thread makes me super glad I have been lazy and haven't sprayed mine yet.  

I think i will do the bottoms like you suggested and just the arrow on the tops of the squadrons.  I really like the arrow standing out.

Hida77, 

In the end, I didn't go with the colored arrow for all squadrons. I'm opting to keep them solely on the Named characters, such as Luke, and Howlrunner. 

Otherwise, all normal squadrons have been hit with a minimalist solution to the arrow being black. 

This photo shows what they look like from viewing height in a sense:

O08yrzM.jpg

A more zoomed in look to emphasize. 

fZTu744.png

I painted a white 'star' dot of varying sizes on all the squadrons hull indicator arrow tip. From a far, it helps the models bases blend in nicely with the painted bases and mat. But when looking at the model directly, one can pick up the 'arrow tip' nicely. 

And have another random photo of a game I played, because I love this game: 7tmL7ll.jpg

Much peace, 

Malev