Sign in to follow this  
Agatheron

An Imperial Star Destroyer is a "Medium" ship? Whoa...

Consider the following picture from GAMA:

sw_armada_2_orydib.jpg

I think we can safely assume the Mon Cal frigate is on a small sized base. It means that the ISD and Mon Cal Cruiser are both on Medium Sized bases if you do some measuring. According to the Reference Guide, medium sized bases are 61x102mm bases, while large bases are a yet-to-be seen 76x192mm. 

So given that, what might have a large base underneath it? Will the rebels have something that big?

Things to ponder...

Consider the following picture from GAMA:

sw_armada_2_orydib.jpg

I think we can safely assume the Mon Cal frigate is on a small sized base. It means that the ISD and Mon Cal Cruiser are both on Medium Sized bases if you do some measuring. According to the Reference Guide, medium sized bases are 61x102mm bases, while large bases are a yet-to-be seen 76x192mm. 

So given that, what might have a large base underneath it? Will the rebels have something that big?

Things to ponder...

There's already been a lot of talk about this.  The Imperial SD shown is unfinished.  They likely placed it on a medium base because they don't have a large base made yet to display it on.  

Edited by icestormganon

The rules specifically say that the Victory class is a medium ship.  The ISD will undoubtedly be classified as a large ship.

The bases as shown I believe will be changed.  If you look at the base, you will see that for a ship considerably larger than the Victory, firing arc would be the same as the Victory class and more constrained.  Its line of sight would be much farther, relative to the Victory, to the center of the ship.  The ISD will require a larger base than shown.  The front hull yellow dot is just past first raised triangle if you will.  Here - its much closer to the center of the the ship.

Somewhere in the forums someone suggested that the 192mm base size was a misprint and was corrected at sometime to 129

Edited by wjgo

Here's the press release picture of the ISD:

CAU4-YjU8AATTH-.jpg

Since this is the product release announcement slide I presume the base size is accurate. Measuring it relative to the cards and stuff around it, it's still coming out as a medium sized base. It is definitely not twice the length of the Mon Calamari base... I'd say the large base may be saved for a Praetor or bigger...

I am referring to the line of sight from the yellow dot.  The farther that yellow dot is inside of firing arcs, the more constrained the line of sight will be because the LOS can not pass through a firing arc as I understand the rules to be.  It would seem to me, a larger ship would have better lines of sight.  All the yellow dots, I believe, are in the same position on the bases, right underneath the die icons, or very close relative to each other at that position.

Edited by wjgo

Remember too the ships shown at Gama where just WIP. Let's wait till the official announcement and look at them then. These maybe the sculpts and not the final print. Look at the color difference between the ISD and Mon Cal. A finished printed product would be of the same color unless one of these have paint on them.

We just don't know enough yet.

CAU4-YjU8AATTH-.jpg

Since this is the product release announcement slide I presume the base size is accurate. Measuring it relative to the cards and stuff around it, it's still coming out as a medium sized base. It is definitely not twice the length of the Mon Calamari base... I'd say the large base may be saved for a Praetor or bigger...

Large bases are not twice the size. It was a misprint of initial sizes. 129mm not 192mm.

Remember too the ships shown at Gama where just WIP. Let's wait till the official announcement and look at them then. These maybe the sculpts and not the final print. Look at the color difference between the ISD and Mon Cal. A finished printed product would be of the same color unless one of these have paint on them.

Not necessarily, they could have used the lighter plastic used on the rebel fighters for the ISD, and the darker plastic from the Ties for the mon cals

Not necessarily, they could have used the lighter plastic used on the rebel fighters for the ISD, and the darker plastic from the Ties for the mon cals

They could have but we just don't know yet. All we know is that these ships will be larger than the current ships. (Well the ISD for sure.) I am waiting for the official announcement before I get out my rulers to measure the computer screen. ;)

CAU4-YjU8AATTH-.jpg

Large bases are not twice the size. It was a misprint of initial sizes. 129mm not 192mm.

Okay. This has been the source of my confusion, and I'm more than happy to stand corrected. I'd even venture to say that the Mon Cal ship may even be on a large base.... Reading the 192mm instead of 129 made for a base that would be relatively long and narrow, rather than the similar shape to the others. 

I think then it's safer to say that if they do release a Praetor or larger ship, then we might see a "Very Large" base, but for the time being, these three sizes stand.

Thanks for the clarification. 

Seeing that the models are not painted is a good sign that they are not the finished product. SO  there is plenty of time for them to change things around. I dont think that it will come on a med base. Its much to large.

Seeing that the models are not painted is a good sign that they are not the finished product. SO  there is plenty of time for them to change things around. I dont think that it will come on a med base. Its much to large.

It is not on a medium base, it is currently on a large base, and it is so massive it still overhangs that - pictures and maths in this thread about it here https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/138391-isd-base-size/

Edited by MaverickNZ

I am referring to the line of sight from the yellow dot.  The farther that yellow dot is inside of firing arcs, the more constrained the line of sight will be because the LOS can not pass through a firing arc as I understand the rules to be.  It would seem to me, a larger ship would have better lines of sight.  All the yellow dots, I believe, are in the same position on the bases, right underneath the die icons, or very close relative to each other at that position.

As long as the target is at least partially in arc, the line of sight can cross the lines on the attacker's base.