Sign in to follow this  
RookieOne

Which FFG game to jump to next, IA or Armada?

I know this veers a bit from the OP, but how about FFG's Star Wars LCG? Is anyone here a fan? I come to X-Wing from zero background experience with miniatures or deck building games or RPGs, really just as a Star Wars fan. But one thing I love about X-Wing is the infinite variety of the list building. Seems like the LCG might be up my alley.

Recommended?

The Star Wars LCG is what hooked me to FFG's games even though X-Wing came out first. I really enjoy the LCG. The problem is that I can never find anyone to play with, so X-Wing gets my money now. But if I had a solid play group, I'd be playing the LCG instead.

One thing that turns a lot of people off is that it is a little abstracted and doesn't feel "thematic." For example, Rancors can destroy Home One. While that can be jarring at first, the more you play, the more you get a feeling that the cards represent the influence of the units rather than actual units battling. But sometimes you get Vader vs Luke and it feels awesome. But most of all, the SW LCG aims to bring a cinematic experience rather than a thematic one. Interactions may seem odd, but most units behave like you would expect and it really does evoke that Star Wars feel. If you haven't you shoul pick up a core set and try it out. (And by "you" I mean whoever is reading this post.)

A topic not yet touched on...Mixing games!

I haven't yet played Armada, but I think IA and X-Wing would mix well. For instance, an x-wing game could have multiple imperial shuttles trying to land at a battle. The shuttles that survive affect what troops the imperial player has access to in IA.

Stuff like that is what I'm excited to try.

IA is fun, but without five people (I've played with 5 and 4 so far) seems limited and less balanced. Skirmish is fun but the sides are too small to really get engaged and (in the exact reverse of X-Wing) the OT heroes & villains seem out of place. It also suffers from feeling a lot like what it is, a, "gateway drug," to the RPGs. Honestly if you have four friends over and a few hours to kill the answer is Edge of Empire / Age of Rebellion, not IA.

Armada on the other hand may well be the game that finally deposes Renagade Legion: Leviathan from the throne of best capital ship combat game that it has occupied practically unchallenged since the late 80s

IA is fun, but without five people (I've played with 5 and 4 so far) seems limited and less balanced. Skirmish is fun but the sides are too small to really get engaged and (in the exact reverse of X-Wing) the OT heroes & villains seem out of place. It also suffers from feeling a lot like what it is, a, "gateway drug," to the RPGs. Honestly if you have four friends over and a few hours to kill the answer is Edge of Empire / Age of Rebellion, not IA.

Armada on the other hand may well be the game that finally deposes Renagade Legion: Leviathan from the throne of best capital ship combat game that it has occupied practically unchallenged since the late 80s

I would have thought Imp assault would play like descent in that it works fine with 2-5 players, with descent we always have all 4 heros being played. Having one person play 4 heroes is a little more work bit we ha e never had a problem.

As for best capital ship mins game (spaceships that is) still goes to Babylon 5 Wars.

It sure has a VERY steep learning curve, but once you get past that it's beautiful

I would have thought Imp assault would play like descent in that it works fine with 2-5 players, with descent we always have all 4 heros being played. Having one person play 4 heroes is a little more work bit we ha e never had a problem.

We've done that with Descent but I find it feels very clunky. IA has a different balancing mechanic (as you loose characters from 4 the remaining characters gain HP and actions) that feels less clunky but also less balanced.

As for best capital ship mins game (spaceships that is) still goes to Babylon 5 Wars.

It sure has a VERY steep learning curve, but once you get past that it's beautiful

I played a few games of that, it felt a bit like Leviathan Light. For B5 gaming I prefer the Component Game System.

Having played Descent quite a bit, I worry that IA would have the same effect on me. I seriously fall asleep everytime I play it. I like the game but it gets bogged down and I am out for the count.

I've never played IA (or Descent) or Armada. I'm a big FFG and Star Wars fan though, so I looked thoroughly at them both

IA doesn't look appealing to me... at all. I just can't see myself ever playing it and enjoying it. I love board games and miniatures games and I can't put my finger on why I feel this way but IA just looks... lame? Really confused by its popularity.

Armada does look great, but it's another expensive*, Star Wars, spaceship game... like X-Wing... and X-Wing is the only gaming money-pit I need. If Armada and X-Wing had come out at the same time, it would've been a really tough choice to decide which to play.

*Please, let's not start the "it's not expensive compared to WH40k!" discussion. Just because other games are even MORE expensive, doesn't make X-Wing cheap.

I chose IA myself, because it was a RPG lite, and no just another TT mini game. Armada no doubt is a lot of fun, but it's also a longer and perhaps deeper game.

So the question really comes down to what you want in a game.

Do you want something longer, and perhaps deeper than X-Wing? Or do you want something a bit more lite and faster? Do you want something that is limited to two people or something that can support up to 5?

I've played the campaign with one other person controlling 4 heroes and it seemed fine to me. Perhaps that's because I haven't played a 5 player game, but I didn't notice any sort of issue myself.

I like mixed games as well.  I like to design a setup where there is an xwing lamda dogfight to land on a planet / station, then we used the older star wars miniatures game to battle it out.  I have tons of minis and maps from that game, and I like the bigger play area, rules for cover, etc. The rules are not bulky, though there was a ridiculous amount of power creep in some of the later sets.  We play mostly just the first 3 sets and have a good time, but sadly, this game is no longer produced, so I cant really recommend it. since it scratches the itch for ground combat, I'll be going with armada. I like the deep, strategic game myself. (I did not say I was good at it, only that I like it.)

So, after a paragraph that is mostly off topic, armada for me.

My only concern with Armada is, will it be like X-Wing in expansions?  I like X-Wing and have a fair bit invested in it cost wise.  But I would prefer not to spend that much again on another game.  Even though you could just buy a few expansions in X-Wing you often need (or would like to have) several more for the cards; upgrades; fixes to have a good mix.

My only concern with Armada is, will it be like X-Wing in expansions?

Both games have them. IA's seem cheaper over all, so far.

In both cases you need fewer expansions. I can't see anyone buying more than one ISD or MonCal, but I can see someone getting 2-3 of the Corvettes or Frigates. But all in all, it looks like wave 1 or 2 of Armada is going to run about $200 MSRP. Because you are paying more per expansion. $50 for a ISD, $20 for a CR-90, ect...

Wave 1 of IA cost $100 retail. The expansion coming out for it Twin Shadows will be under $100. Most of IA's expansions so far have been things you don't need more than 1 of.

Edited by VanorDM

I play all three have all three factions for xwing great game i have 2 campaigns running for imperial assault and have all the expansions for it. Just got started with armada and i like it as well. Imperial assault is fun and even non miniatures players will like it but you need to read all the rules carefully a lot of details. Armada is closer to xwing but have only played demo game once so far probably longer games then xwing

In both cases you need fewer expansions. I can't see anyone buying more than one ISD or MonCal, but I can see someone getting 2-3 of the Corvettes or Frigates. But all in all, it looks like wave 1 or 2 of Armada is going to run about $200 MSRP. Because you are paying more per expansion. $50 for a ISD, $20 for a CR-90, ect...

Wave 1 of IA cost $100 retail. The expansion coming out for it Twin Shadows will be under $100. Most of IA's expansions so far have been things you don't need more than 1 of.

We for me, I went out and purchased IA on a whim and am planning on get 1 x Wave 1 expansions.  But I'm also planning on stopping there.  It looks fun but as I've said I'm already invested in X-Wing and besides it's not painted.  :(

As for Armada?  I'm going to wait and see, the core looks a little light for replayability (so did X-Wing) but the ships look nice (painted too).

We for me, I went out and purchased IA on a whim and am planning on get 1 x Wave 1 expansions.  But I'm also planning on stopping there.  It looks fun but as I've said I'm already invested in X-Wing and besides it's not painted.  :(

As for Armada?  I'm going to wait and see, the core looks a little light for replayability (so did X-Wing) but the ships look nice (painted too).

Try to stay serious while you tell me that you won't at least buy the Boba Fett mini... Come on... I dare you.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Including the XCOM one, I've already got that one (that was a day one purchase). We really enjoy playing it but much like the actual game it gives you no breathing space and is seriously challenging. Not that I don't enjoy a challenge it's more that sometimes XCOM can be a little overwhelming!

Decided to go with IA...for now. If I'm brutally honest I was always going to buy both, it was a matter of which one would be the better choice for the moment. I want to see how Armada develops further before I make the investment in it as you've all said, it will not be a low cost game. I'll come back to this thread once I've got IA and played a game or two for anyone else whose sitting on the fence. Hopefully I can offer some new sage advice from a budding IA player :)