Sign in to follow this  
kilrolo

Ships firing on engaged Squadrons

So my local group got a game of Armada in the other day and something odd came to mind after we played it out. As the rules stand there's no restriction on ships firing on enemy squadrons engaged with a friendly squadron. The "concern" came about regarding friendly fire into the skirmish between squadrons but we couldn't find any rules to support that concern. Anyone have any input?

So my local group got a game of Armada in the other day and something odd came to mind after we played it out. As the rules stand there's no restriction on ships firing on enemy squadrons engaged with a friendly squadron. The "concern" came about regarding friendly fire into the skirmish between squadrons but we couldn't find any rules to support that concern. Anyone have any input?

We wondered that too. I've placed the same topic in the rules forum, and I've got a rules question out to FFG for clarification. Waiting for an answer.

We wondered the same thing, but Squadrons do not obstruct attacks - P8 of the rules ref. No other rule provides any reason to think that you are imepeded and the rules do state that a ship may attack all the viable squadrons in an arc.

My thought is that there is no issue with friendly fire.

The reason is, these aren't large ships firing inaccurate turbolasers at the fighters.

They are firing more accurate, but less powerful, anti-fighter weapons at the fighters.

Armada doesn't currently have the concept of firing a massive barrage of turbolasers at some fighters and hoping to vaporize some.

We wondered the same thing, but Squadrons do not obstruct attacks - P8 of the rules ref. No other rule provides any reason to think that you are impeded and the rules do state that a ship may attack all the viable squadrons in an arc.

That's pretty much how we've treated it for now, but the question did come up among us.

Edited by Deathseed

The issue I have with your defense Grey13 is even the most accurate point defense laser can't account for the wild acrobatics that are performed in a dog fight. If we consider the space needed for a "dog fight" to be a quarter of an x-wing board that's an incredibly tight cube of relative space. The ships in that space are practically on top of each other and at the ranges in question I would still argue that there is a decent chance of hitting a friendly by mistake.

The issue I have with your defense Grey13 is even the most accurate point defense laser can't account for the wild acrobatics that are performed in a dog fight. If we consider the space needed for a "dog fight" to be a quarter of an x-wing board that's an incredibly tight cube of relative space. The ships in that space are practically on top of each other and at the ranges in question I would still argue that there is a decent chance of hitting a friendly by mistake.

I can't count the number of times I was plugged by cap-ship friendly fire in X-Wing and TIE Fighter back in the good old pc gaming days. And in a shieldless TIE, that meant BOOM.

Edited by Deathseed

We wondered the same thing, but Squadrons do not obstruct attacks - P8 of the rules ref. No other rule provides any reason to think that you are impeded and the rules do state that a ship may attack all the viable squadrons in an arc.

That's pretty much how we've treated it for now, but the question did come up among us.

Yeah, we have lots of questions! I am pretty happy with my interpretation of the rules, and have been able to think through and reference most issues so far, but I am keen to see what the first FAQ holds... Be nice to get some confirmation about things that seem okay - like this rule, which I am fine about - and actually know that they are okay! 

Oh we're playing it as all squadrons within range are fair game regardless of engagement status it's just a sticking point that breaks immersion for myself and others.

I can't count the number of times I was plugged by cap-ship friendly fire in X-Wing and TIE Fighter back in the good old pc gaming days. And in a shieldless TIE, that meant BOOM.

To be fair, you might have survived... just with no targeting computer, scanners, or ammo counter ;)

To be fair, you might have survived... just with no targeting computer, scanners, or ammo counter ;)

Or maneuvering thrusters which still meant BOOM. :P

Edited by Deathseed

I understand that, but using the argument of not being able to predict movement would apply to other fighters too. So, if a friendly fighter fires on a fighter you are engaged with, you would be at risk there as well.

In the end, this is a game not a simulation and dealing with the risk of friendly fire just isn't fun. Unless it is to balance out some other highly powered mechanic, like instant kill.

As discussed here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/140795-ships-shooting-engaged-squadrons/ the rules are very clear on this (there is nothing in the rules that says firing on an engaged squadron is any different to firing at a squadron that isn't engaged).

Whilst in reality, yes a miss could result in friendly fire, the designers have opted not to bog the game down with lots of "realistic" rules. I for one am glad of this - the more realistic a game is, the less fun it tends to be.