Sign in to follow this  
KeithWard

IG-88C vs. IG-88D

Regarding the OP question, now that I have more games in with IG, I would favor C over D. It might have to do with my personal playstyle, but I boost a lot with the IGs, either before a k-turn/S-Loop thanks to advanced Sensor, or just to get back faster into the fight and realign my arc. So, the free Evade would help me a lot to survive even longer, especially since I don't run them with PtL, so the free action is nice. With Predator, it gets even more nastier: Boost, Evade and mini TL.

As for D, the hard k-turn is nice, for sure, but when I tried it, I didn't get as much milage as I thought I would. I did it just because I could, not because it was the best move to do. I can already do a hard k-turn by boosting prior to a S-Loop, and it also cover more distance, something that you want to get with the cannons and Autothrusters.

So, for my playstyle, The boost action is the action I do the most with IG just after focus. If I were to run a dual IG build, I would definetly go for B and C. But since I run only one, I go for B. That second attack chance is just pure gold. I just got a full health Corran out of the game tonight thanks to B gunner ability and a Ion Cannon; priceless. No other ship could have done it: Shoot a stress Corran with Ion cannon-AdvSensor bank Boost before k-turn to get behind him-gunner him with Ion Cannon-AdvS focus behind him and continue to Ion him until he's dead.

Try B with Expert Handling and Adv. Sensors... he's the only one that can really get mileage out of that talent, but it's nice for his HLC for the same reason it's good on Dash.

I'll take the versatility of a Mangler Cannon+Ion Cannon over a HLC every day now.

Up against a big ship with a lot of Hull? I'll crit you to death with the Mangler.

Up against a high maneuvrability ship? I'll Ion you while you're stressed.

You're in range 1? Well it just happens that my cannons can also shoot in range 1.

The one more possible damage of the HLC is nice and scary, but Mangler+Ion offer more options that is, in my opinion, more important than just more raw strength. Making Chiraneau or Dash or Han move at PS0, or lose his ability and EPT, or be blinded for his next attack, or lose one attack dice, or lose one agility (I'm looking at you 3P0), or his action bar, or just a direct hit, is worth more than one more attack dice. Being able to Ionize Fel or Corran while they are stressed is worth a lot more than one more attack dice. That is my opinion on IG cannon loadout. I would take a HLC only if I were not planning on fielding the B variant. Bonus point for the Mangler+Ion Cannon combo if you're unlucky enough to draw the Munitions Failure crit. It didn't happend to me with a IG ship, but it did while I was flying a HWK with a Ion turret and a BTL Y-Wing. It sucks.

Just ran B&C symmetrical build (predator, adv. sensors, mangler cannon, seismic charge, IG2000 Title, Autothrusters) at a local tourney. This list wrecks once the enemy ships' shields are down. Two challenges that I had was Super Dash and another firepower-heavy dual IG build. The 6 PS bid was a bit too low against the Super Dash build. Since Dash ignores asteroid placement, I had little luck deducing the optimal placement to land in Dash's donut hole. The other trouble I had was a B&D IG build that had FCS with an HLC. They also bid up one of the IGs to PS 8. That being said, I would play with as many iterations of this build that tickle your fancy. After the tournament I played in I will lean more towards an asymmetrical build, that way I can better predict my opponents target prioritization.

That's why I ran D with VI and B with outmaneuver. :)

Just ran B&C symmetrical build (predator, adv. sensors, mangler cannon, seismic charge, IG2000 Title, Autothrusters) at a local tourney. This list wrecks once the enemy ships' shields are down. Two challenges that I had was Super Dash and another firepower-heavy dual IG build. The 6 PS bid was a bit too low against the Super Dash build. Since Dash ignores asteroid placement, I had little luck deducing the optimal placement to land in Dash's donut hole. The other trouble I had was a B&D IG build that had FCS with an HLC. They also bid up one of the IGs to PS 8. That being said, I would play with as many iterations of this build that tickle your fancy. After the tournament I played in I will lean more towards an asymmetrical build, that way I can better predict my opponents target prioritization.

I'm actually surprised you didn't do it the other way around. B would like VI so he is a little safer vs PS6/7, and D has a slightly higher damage output if B dies first. Obviously it worked as is though!  :)

I'm actually surprised you didn't do it the other way around. B would like VI so he is a little safer vs PS6/7, and D has a slightly higher damage output if B dies first. Obviously it worked as is though!  :)

My thought was B would be killed and if I focused down any high PS it would give D a much better End Game :)

I'm wondering what those who have played both ships extensively prefer. I'd be running it in a dual list with an HLC IG-88B. I usually prioritize movement over evades, so I lean 88D. Do you find the extra unpredictability/arc-dodging ability of the D to be more or less effective for avoiding damage than another evade? One of my fears is that I'll feel like I need to boost just to get the evade, when I may have preferred to TL or focus instead, for example. (Not a fan of PTL on this ship, at least not yet).

ive extensively used b with hlc, but IT NEVER MISSES. use a c/d list, or use a because IT NEVER MISSES

Outmaneuver might actually be pretty good on the IGs, with the gunner-cannon.  Though Predator wil still be good.  

Unfair Banana, did you roll all literal BLANKS or focuses while you didn't have focus?  Cuz that might mean you took another action to get a better shot instead of being exactly in a good place and being able to take a focus.  

Outmaneuver might actually be pretty good on the IGs, with the gunner-cannon.  Though Predator wil still be good.  

Unfair Banana, did you roll all literal BLANKS or focuses while you didn't have focus?  Cuz that might mean you took another action to get a better shot instead of being exactly in a good place and being able to take a focus.  

I also used outmanuver, can be deadly with inertial damps. useless against any deci other then kenkirk tho