Sign in to follow this  
KeithWard

IG-88C vs. IG-88D

I'm wondering what those who have played both ships extensively prefer. I'd be running it in a dual list with an HLC IG-88B. I usually prioritize movement over evades, so I lean 88D. Do you find the extra unpredictability/arc-dodging ability of the D to be more or less effective for avoiding damage than another evade? One of my fears is that I'll feel like I need to boost just to get the evade, when I may have preferred to TL or focus instead, for example. (Not a fan of PTL on this ship, at least not yet).

Imo, IG-88C is huge because of how awesome boost is with aggressors

but (and this is huge) only with advanced sensors. Pre-manuever boost is hilarious maneuverability, and getting a free evade atop that is just gravy for frusturating the **** out of your opponents.

Without sensors (like FCS) the boost becomes far less useful and you'll probably want D to improve their maneuverability, which is ironically the Aggressor's biggest weakness (amazing dial, but the large base displacement leaves you hurting for firing arc targets without some tricks up your sleeve)

I always run D, because the added maneuverability is amazing.
However, lately the green dice gods have frowned upon me. In my last game, I rolled 3 blanks, 3 blanks, 4 blanks, 3 blanks, 5 blanks. In a row. I'm kinda curious to see the math behind that...

So, next time, I'm taking C. Screw it.

It depends on how you want to fly. D is a more aggressive ship as you are trying to maximize your chance to shoot every round. C favors boosting almost every round, ensuring your time on target is very low.

Of course you could go c and d with adv sens to boost then super sloop, at the expense of not having b.

I prefer b and c with ptl and adv sens because I like the hit and run tactics.

I'm still trying to figure out which EPT to give them.  PTL?  I dunno...

Im my area, the "terrible 3s" have been quite popular and effective

that's PTL (w/sensors) for sheer "**** you I'm never going to die"-bility

Predator (w/sensors, cause FCS is redundant) to scare you shitless AND still be stupid manueverable

and Outmanuever (**** me, this is scary with IG-88 B & D with canons and FCS)

Personally i prefer D. You're going to be using D's ability a lot because of the fact that you can do a stressful manuever and have the advantage of being able to get a second attack with an HLC, which essentially acts like Han's ability since you would be shooting with the same amount of dice. Also if you have a heavy hitter like B with HLC you're going to want to maximize your offense, not you defensive capabilities.

Different loadouts require different tactics, and different initial obstacle placement and deployment. I am 15-5 on vassal with my "Terminators" BD squad, which is essentially the max DPS that you can get. I talk about it on NOVA podcast episode #20, and soon-to-air #21.

Terminators

IG-88B: Outmaneuver, FCS, HLC, Autothrusters, IG-2000 title

IG-88D: Outmaneuver, FCS, HLC, Autothrusters, IG-2000 title

I probably use the segnor's hard turn much more than I would use the free evade than I would get from C. If you are going BC, then Advanced Sensors and PtL or Predator is probably the way to go.

However, lately the green dice gods have frowned upon me. In my last game, I rolled 3 blanks, 3 blanks, 4 blanks, 3 blanks, 5 blanks. In a row. I'm kinda curious to see the math behind that...

Blanks? As in no focus? .5^18.

It's not good odds. (it is two focus two evade on a green, right?)

Blanks? As in no focus? .5^18.

It's not good odds. (it is two focus two evade on a green, right?)

Actually there are only 3 blank sides, so it is (3/8)^(3+3+4+3+5) = an even smaller number.

2.16*10-6 % to be exact.

The chance of rolling zero evades (but allowing for eyeballs) in 18 rolls is still low at 0.021% chance, but not nearly as astronomically low at rolling 18 pure blanks.

I prefer B & C, as the boost is great for repositioning, and the free evade gives extra survivability. Predator is a great EPT as it is action-independant, works on every attack, and is even better when facing low-PS ships.

There are a few keys to flying aggressors I have found:

-Autothrusters is mandatory. With only 8HP, you need all the help you can getting evades. The green dice WILL let you down.

-Advanced sensors is mandatory. You will be doing a lot of red maneuvers to get firing arcs. Keeping your action in those cases  will be important. Also, large based ships will bump more often. Keeping your actions in those situations is important. Additionally, boosting before a s-loop/k-turn covers an insane amount of ground.

-You will perform a lot of s-loops and k-turns. You have to stay pointed at your opponent to do damage.

-Range 3 is your friend.

-It is more important to avoid fire than give fire, but you need to be firing as much as possible. You need to find the balance

-IG-88 is an arc dodger, not a jouster.

Different loadouts require different tactics, and different initial obstacle placement and deployment. I am 15-5 on vassal with my "Terminators" BD squad, which is essentially the max DPS that you can get. I talk about it on NOVA podcast episode #20, and soon-to-air #21.

Terminators

I probably use the segnor's hard turn much more than I would use the free evade than I would get from C. If you are going BC, then Advanced Sensors and PtL or Predator is probably the way to go.

this right here, this exact build ******* terrifies me

even before the Whisper errata dropped, they struck me as the scariest things in the game (and juggler's calculation of their durability didn't help ease any concerns :P)

hopefully they don't get too out of hand, but I haven't had many positive experiences against them. They particularly seem to hard-counter every other scum ship (possible exception of firesprays?) which all either work better at the closer range (Z-95, Y-wing, Hwks) and aren't maneuverable enough to stay there against the aggressors or are simply unable to get through their stats (feedback mini-swarm + Xizor, Xizor had 0 problems outmaneuvering them but with just his own attack he could barely get the shields off of an aggressor before the Zs were all drifting through space as debris, their useless two dice cannons having plinked off 3 green dice regardless of how many shots they had) (also Scyks, scum's other long range fighter, get mauled by hyper accuracy and their own lack of auto-thrusters)

Edited by ficklegreendice

Terminators

even before the Whisper errata dropped, they struck me as the scariest things in the game (and juggler's calculation of their durability didn't help ease any concerns :P)

If you play on vassal, hit me up sometime and I will try not to disappoint. ;)  Somewhat amusingly, in 20 games I have yet to fly against a YT-1300.

I need to go back and re-listen.  I did listen to it, but wasn't thinking about IG-88 at the time. 

Ugh...I only have 1 FCS?  Oh, I don't own a Phantom.  That's why. 

Terminators

If you play on vassal, hit me up sometime and I will try not to disappoint. ;)  Somewhat amusingly, in 20 games I have yet to fly against a YT-1300.

I don't, sadly, but if the local scene ever goes on hiatus I'll send you a PM if you don't mind helping me set it up (absolute Vassal scrub :P)

As for the dearth of YT-1330s, you sure as hell won't see it assuaged by me <_<

As for the dearth of YT-1330s, you sure as hell won't see it assuaged by me <_<

I just want to see both ships repeatedly get Outmaneuver on Han and deny him C-3P0.  :D  Plus because of buzzsaw FCS HLC, if an IG88 has arc on Han, it's essentially guaranteed to do at least 1 damage regardless of Han's token/C-3P0 stackup.

Terminators

I won a 16 person store championship with almost this exact build. I used Major's math/idea though to come to my squad (thanks again). I instead switched D to use Veteran Instincts and gave both ships Inertial Dampers which I used almost every single game. I had one loss which I got roasted really good thanks to a 0 evade roll against hit hit crit crit and I pulled two direct hits.

I don't like C as much simply because  I'm doing my best to stay at range 3 and I feel boosting would only be beneficial if I'm running away. D's 280 degree turn allows for some good position to avoid being blocked. 

I'm 9-3 with the build and one loss was my 2nd game where I got blocked like crazy and my target priority was poor. The other 2 I had crazy poor evades mixed with crazy high hits on my opponents end. I literally died (both ships) on round 6 (5 of combat) of the game. 

I think now that I'm better experienced with the list my win percentage should go up. 

Edited by Danath

I need to go back and re-listen.  I did listen to it, but wasn't thinking about IG-88 at the time. 

Ugh...I only have 1 FCS?  Oh, I don't own a Phantom.  That's why. 

Yeah, on episode #20 it's right in the first 5 minutes, and then there's some math on Outmaneuver far deeper into the episode, near the end. Outmaneuver never triggers 100% of the time, probably not even 50% of the time, but when you do manage to catch Fel with 2 agility or Whisper with 3, with Buzzsaw FCS HLC, it's game over.

I won a 16 person store championship with almost this exact build. I used Major's math/idea though to come to my squad (thanks again).

Now aren't you glad that Roark got 2-shot in that vassal game?  :lol:  Outmaneuver for the win!

B/D was my first love, but then I ran into lots of situations where D's Segnor would just land me on an asteroid or hit another ship. I've started flying B/C lately and it's pretty good too.

I love Outmaneuver and I love D's ability, but I'll admit I can't think of many situations where the hard turn Segnor's Loop will help you Outmaneuver better than the normal Segnor's Loop.

Of the 4 IGs I like D the most. The maneuverability ist just great and a ton of fun.

I've started my IG squad with a CD version, but found that they had a higher survivabilty than needed but were lacking firepower. Then I switched to BD and am very happy with it. The survivabilty is still great. D helps you with offense and defense and B, well, it does its thing.

The main reason I prefer D over C is the flexibilty you get. The best thing you can do against IGs is blocking. So when you plan to do a S-Loop and get a Z-95 or Tie in front of your nose, you cannot boost before looping, thus reducing your final positions from 4 possibilites to 1. And if you cannot finish your movement you're pretty much screwed, stressed without having turned and sitting in the middle of the opponents squad. With D you're much less susceptible to blocking and that is IMHO more important than the free evade. I've even been using Stay on target on my IGs and the maneuverabilty is just crazy. Maybe it's an overkill but it's so much fun!

One thing I have to say though. Even without C you will still be doing a lot of boosts and everytime you'll think: "If I only had C :-(" But on the other hand, sometimes you will have done just the right boost / hard turn loop combo that will get you shooting at an opponent without any return fire. Good times!

I have been struggling with my own dual Aggressor builds; this is a great thread. =)

I ran B and C at a store championship a few weeks ago and had some success, but I've been trying to refine the build and find a happy middle ground.  I finally settled on dual HLCs because I needed the firepower and I wanted to give D and Outmaneuver a try.  Nice to see other folks having success with it.

I'm still struggling with where I fall on the FCS/Advanced Sensors debate.  I have tried both, and I think both are solid choices for different reasons.  

Terminators

I'm curious about your experience with this build. How often does B ability really trigger? It seems like outmaneuver actually works against the HLC+FCS+B combo by reducing the odds of the opponent dodging the first shot, making your 4 dice+TL shot less likely.

Terminators

I'm curious about your experience with this build. How often does B ability really trigger? It seems like outmaneuver actually works against the HLC+FCS+B combo by reducing the odds of the opponent dodging the first shot, making your 4 dice+TL shot less likely.

I've played against it :D

here's how it goes:

first round of range 3 fire sets the target lock if it doesn't kill you outright

2nd round of fire, about the time when the IGs can trololo over the enemy with a red maneuver especially D's, burns your bum so bad you get ass cancer

all of it seems like overkill, but in reality it's very unlikely that FCS is not generating a crap-ton of hits especially on the first volley. Outmanuever is just the final nail in the coffin for anyone fortunate enough to have got away.

Edited by ficklegreendice

Terminators

Generally that is true. Usually you will either trigger Outmaneuver, or B's ability, sometimes neither, but rarely both.

If both trigger it is usually because I pulled a segnors, have no lock on target, and roll terrible. So B kicks in and you get another 4+TL vs AGI-1 on target. At that point they're hosed. But that probably only happens less than 1 in 10 attacks.

B is really really really good with FCS and HLC at R2-3. Opportunist is really good with your flanking IG88. You probably weren't going to need B's ability at 4v1 vs a B-wing or stressbot Y-wing anyway, so 4v0 from your flanker can be that little extra nudge to TERMINATE a ship that round instead of next.  :)