Sign in to follow this  
Corver

Painted / Inked rebels pic, with back bases

Thanks for your comments.

I just used army painter black undercoat spray, I knew i would do this from the first ugly promo shots. I think the capital ships look alot better.

On the frig, i painted the green and brown sections as well as they were badly done. When I get a second of each i will repaint the red stripes as well.

Interesting tactics there Corver, charge with the corvette while the Neb-B runs away! ;)

On a serious note: nice work!  On a dark coloured play-surface like you have used in those shots the black looks a lot less intrusive than clear plastic that always seems to be reflecting lights.

Looks pretty good. Did you have to put any additional color on the Nebula B and Star Destory? Also, I see where you hit the front of the X-Wing engines with black did you do the thruster with reddish orange or red? Great job looking forward to putting paint on my squads as well

I wish I had you talant ...

I have the talent, I just lack the patience anymore. I've pretty much gotten burned out on painting armies. Not having to paint is one of the selling points for x-wing and Armada with me.

I'm old.

Get off my lawn. :P

And great job Corver!

Edited by Deathseed

Yea, I've been debating painting the ships.  I do like the black bases, especially since I have the FFG Starfield mat, which I'd bet will make it look great.

The VSD is pretty well done out of the box, but the Rebel ships are pretty meh.  The TIEs are actually not that jarring out of the box either, but I would probably do those as well.

For the fighters, did you wash then paint? or simply paint them?

Also, do you know what color grey paint matches the ships the best?  I want to be able to do touch-ups if necessary.

PS- Definiately looks awesome by the way!

Edited by Hida77

I wish I had you talant ...

I have the talent, I just lack the patience anymore. I've pretty much gotten burned out on painting armies. Not having to paint is one of the selling points for x-wing and Armada with me.

I'm old.

Get off my lawn. :P

And great job Corver!

Dunno how lately you have tried, but I gave it a go last night... My hand was definitely not steady and I swear my eyes are much worse too!

Gerroff my lawn... Unless you're gonna mow it for me...

I have done the same thing with 2 of my three Core Box sets.  The black bases are much less intrusive against a dark playmat.  Just used black spay paint.  I was a little nervous about the tolerances on the fighters when attaching them to the painted stands, but a quick scrape with an X-Acto Knife took care of any that were a little snug. 

They looked great at Imperial Outpost Games (IOG is my FLGS here in Glendale, AZ) this weekend, where they have the F.A.T Mat Space Mats.

Now I just need to get my personal 4' x 6' Space F.A.T that is on order from IOG.  That way I can present an awesome game at home, friends, or the Game Store...

For the ties I soaked them in hot water and straighten all the wings as best I could. Sprayed ties and bases black, added a coat of Vallejo London grey and then a nuln oil wash. Used a Windsor and Newton 000 7series brush for the details, painting the inner wings was a pain but worth it.

The xwings I spra white then added blood red stripes and engines. Then a nuln oil wash.

Corvette and neb had wash and I used some London grey highlights on the neb.

It will be goo when playing others as I can tell mine apart. Having my first trial game now the neb and all ties are dead but the Vic has 5 hits one of which is thrust control malfunction and he's pointing at the table edge!

For the ties I soaked them in hot water and straighten all the wings as best I could. Sprayed ties and bases black, added a coat of Vallejo London grey and then a nuln oil wash. Used a Windsor and Newton 000 7series brush for the details, painting the inner wings was a pain but worth it.

The xwings I spra white then added blood red stripes and engines. Then a nuln oil wash.

Corvette and neb had wash and I used some London grey highlights on the neb.

It will be goo when playing others as I can tell mine apart. Having my first trial game now the neb and all ties are dead but the Vic has 5 hits one of which is thrust control malfunction and he's pointing at the table edge!

Thanks for the details, I will likely do the same.  I am busy edging the cardboard pieces so they look nicer already, but I should finish that tonight.

My only issue is I already attached the cardboard bits to the ship bases, so I may have to cover those up before I spray them black. Not a big issue, but a bit more time consuming.

Random question - Have you considered splattering some white on the black to make the bases also appear to be the star field?  Looking at your pictures, the Victory SD's stand (the vertical part, not so much the actual base) pops out from the mat a bit since it's so large, I was thinking doing a couple flicks of white/off-white might help further camouflage the bases.  Just a thought.