Sign in to follow this  
Slugrage

Almost All Playmats Just Got Nerfed

Then it will be ignored. If FFG wants to press the matter and enforce whatever kind of "penalties" they can at stores who allow players to use third party mats then people will stop playing their tournaments for official prize support.

What's the prize for winning an official tournament? Last year it was a Phantom, Defender or Z95, right? If I'm being forced to buy a $40 mat for a chance to win a $15 ship that's false economy. I'd rather play unofficial tournaments or store leagues than play into that game.

I think the issue at hand here, as a few mentioned, would be to me that as FFG has decreed that only their mat be used or nothing it sets up a dangerous potential rules situation. If, for example, someone were to lose at a sanctioned tournament as part of a store/regional level but there were games that were allowed to be played on non-FFG mats because the TO let them, then someone with a chip on their shoulder could - by all the letter of the written tournament rules - complain to FFG that the event was held without obeying the official rules. Taking any rule, whether you agree with it or not, and intentionally ignoring or breaking it can cause problems. What if someone decided to fly a 105-point squadron because the TO let them. Would that be okay still if that person won the tournament?

Yes, this is an extreme example I fully agree, bordering on the hyperbolic, but it is a possible scenario. The challenge with having a community that's happily existed for years using their own mats, to which they are attached to both emotionally and/or financially and then being told that their toys are now banned isn't going to be solved easily short of overturning said rule.

Or if FFG simply puts the text in the rules to make it sound official (maybe to make legal counsel happy?) and then equally ignores it themselves.

What can FFG do ex post facto if/when they discover people flaunting the playmat rules? Not ship product to those stores? Tell the winners their names won't be listed on some official website? I don't want my name listed on an official website, I just want to play a Star Wars game.

Now I need to find a local store that's doing official tournaments and play on an unapproved mat just to see what happens.

What can FFG do ex post facto if/when they discover people flaunting the playmat rules? Not ship product to those stores? Tell the winners their names won't be listed on some official website? I don't want my name listed on an official website, I just want to play a Star Wars game.

Now I need to find a local store that's doing official tournaments and play on an unapproved mat just to see what happens.

There's an application process to host store championships and regionals.  FFG could very easily deny the application of a store it knew to be ignoring its tournament rules.  Not saying they will, mind you, but it's certainly within their power.

Here's how it can be an unfair advantage:

Because if you play on a map alot,  you begin to know distances from different pictures on that map.         For instance I know my maps in my play area well enough that I know what turns can be made and distances from objects drawn on it.     That is an unfair advantage to me if this map is used, since I have a sort of home field advantage.

It's doesn't seem like much, but when you are coming down to a game that measures centimeters and distances, it can be a big thing.

Because if you play on a map alot,  you begin to know distances from different pictures on that map.         For instance I know my maps in my play area well enough that I know what turns can be made and distances from objects drawn on it.     That is an unfair advantage to me if this map is used, since I have a sort of home field advantage.

It's doesn't seem like much, but when you are coming down to a game that measures centimeters and distances, it can be a big thing.

This can be done with the FFG mats now. There are only 2. The Death Star one is nicely sectioned off with it's art, but I have the plain starfield map and used it last night. The star clusters are distinct enough so that after a while of playing, I bet I could do the same.

The difference with the new rule is that everyone gets only the 2 sanctioned mats, so everyone has an opportunity to premeasure. Or play on a bare table. I hope a blank, bare table, because some tables have wood grain patterns...

Personally, I don't give a poop. I'd rather players made some really neat looking maps and used them for their battle reports and local leagues and risk the potential for premeasuring.

There's an application process to host store championships and regionals.  FFG could very easily deny the application of a store it knew to be ignoring its tournament rules.  Not saying they will, mind you, but it's certainly within their power.

And how much money does a store make via hosting the event versus putting on their own? If my store gets blacklisted from playing FFG's events with a $40 playmat buy-in then I'll still play/shop there regardless.

If enough stores ignore the rule FFG blacklist everyone and end their tournament scene or just not enforce this. Either way I simply don't think this is a big deal.

A bigger deal may come when FFG decides to make their own plastic movement templates and require those.

You know, I might not be so irritated about it if they hadn't waited until now to release theirs, after everybody (including stores that hold sanctioned events) has already purchased 3rd party mats.

dats called marketing strategies copied from games workshop bwahahahahaaaaaa

If FFG goes all out, and enforces that we use only their mats, I wonder if, however unlikely, they [FFG] will only allow the "Starfield" mat for sanctioned Organized Play.  My reasoning behind this is they already use them for the larger tournaments, such as Nationals and Worlds, because of its design -- relatively plan (just full of stars).

In events where players provide their own playmats, only official FFG X-WingTM Playmats are allowed. This is to guarantee a consistent experience for all players and prevent any advantage players may gain from familiarity with a particular playmat that is not widely available. FFG playmats are widely available for examination and play. If a venue provides playmats for their event, they may use third-party playmats. Players may replace third-party playmats if they provide their own FFG playmat to use.

Just updated.

They can hide behind words and come up with any excuses from now on, but at the end of the day its transparent to everybody, that this is founded in good old greedyness.

Now FFG is reduced to yet another company that got greedy on top of their success. Sorry to see we lost you.

Can't ever rid the bad taste in my mouth, FFG. Yuck.

dumb rule as for the last 3 or 4 years you HAD to purchase a different mat or make your own.. now i can see this rule making sense if from DAY ONE they sold them....  whats next "OFFICIAL" FFG tokens only??  and a new line of "OFFICIAL" sized gaming tables with "Official" FFG chairs??  Oh and of course you will need your "Official" FFG parking pass to park at your LGS to play.. and are only allowed to drink out of "Official" FFG water bottles that are required in the name of "Safety" to protect the official mat from spills!!  

image.jpg

the real funny part is this:

"FFG playmats are widely available for examination and play"

while on the other hand:

s335JX8.jpg

MtsrCjY.jpg

my "local" amazon doesn't have any listed at normal prices, neither does my "local" ebay (one at 60+€, not including sipping) my LGS tells me he can't order because they're "flagship-only", same with the national FFG distributor.

so yeah...screw them, we're sticking with what we have, even during public club events. If they have a problem with it, we'll just turn "X-Wing night" into "FSA night" and be done with them.

Edited by BRB

You guys all realise that they have already amended the ruling, right? So right now you're all throwing these accusations at them about money grabbing and 'being like GW' based on.....?

But this is the internet..

And common sense, contrary to popular belief, isn't actually that common.

Baaa

This can be done with the FFG mats now. There are only 2. The Death Star one is nicely sectioned off with it's art, but I have the plain starfield map and used it last night. The star clusters are distinct enough so that after a while of playing, I bet I could do the same.

The difference with the new rule is that everyone gets only the 2 sanctioned mats, so everyone has an opportunity to premeasure. Or play on a bare table. I hope a blank, bare table, because some tables have wood grain patterns...

Personally, I don't give a poop. I'd rather players made some really neat looking maps and used them for their battle reports and local leagues and risk the potential for premeasuring.

I agree with the cool maps.   But I can tell you I went to a local tournament where their players had used the maps and I had never seen them.   Twice in the games my opponents where from that store.     Both times they new about where to play asteroids and how far distances were from items on the board.     In fact after one game the guy said, I knew you could do a hard two in our game at that point because of the location of my ship and the asteroid which he placed strategically.

This is my book is homefield advantage which is unfair for me who had to drive 3 hours to the tournament.   Now I will bring my own FFG mat and if forced to play on another map, I will use the FFG mat instead.      It's doesn't seem like much but both games I lost were to players from that store who had lots of battles on the map and knew it very well.

Edited by eagletsi111