Sign in to follow this  
Slugrage

Almost All Playmats Just Got Nerfed

FFG mats suck. They must have never actually played a game of X-wing on them before releasing. One game and they would have realised they are way too slick.

You wouldn't believe how many people at Nationals last year at GenCon asked, "Will these mats every be for sale? They are so nice!" I was one of them.
they suck, I was the guy at gencon asking if we could flip the mats since the bottom is a better surface

This is a total non-issue people.  Your stores aren't going to care one bit, and FFG isn't going to police your FLGS tournaments.  It will affect Nationals and Worlds, but those playmats are already provided anyways (at least at GenCon), and most regional locations should be providing theirs as well.  Do you seriously think they will care for anything else?  Quit thinking the sky is falling.

if FFG plans to supply all of the play mats to stores for future tournaments

i'm Ok with this. otherwise they can blow it out their cake hole!

i've already paid enough money through X wing and now Armada. i'm not going to be forced to buy another 3x3 mat just because mine isn't "official"

If I lose a game on a non FFG playmat, I demand a rematch :D

As funny as it is someone will do this just out of spite and get a TO and their FLGS in big trouble. Why should FFG send out secret shoppers when the community will rat each other out?

its not that unreasonable really.

For a start i'll state that i play on a GW 'felt' 'battlefleet gothic' 8x4 starmap that we tape or fold off to the size we want.  I find it vastly superior to vinyl mats as there is no slip and nothing slides or moves if a table is nudged..   also and this only happened once if someone spills a drink it soaks into the mat and can be washed.... it doesnt wreck the cards and models my spilling onto them.

But i used to run UK organised play for GW.   There is no way we'd let a player turn up with their own scenery let alone their own battleboard to a competetive event.     All GW 40k tournaments were supposed to be on the same size board (at warhammer world these were physical boards, at some regional tournaments these were felt roll mats).   each table had a basket with four to eight scenery pieces depending on system.   The refs set these up to be 'roughly' symetrical on each table before the first round.

Xwing is different, the game allows the players to 'set the scenery'

What were talking about here is really a few issues.

1.   Quite rightly FFG dont want someone turning up and being 'allowed' by a mate TO to 'use his own mat'.  one that conveniently has 'bright star bursts' every three move units.  Unikely scenario but possible.

2.  Secondly FFG need to generate revenue from a game that essentially is pretty weak on the 'scenery' front.  Its low cost and helps them make more money from a game at a point where a lot of us have bought all we are ever going to buy.  Now note *as a player* you dont need to buy a mat to play, only need to use one in competetive events, this should be supplied by the TO/FLGS.   So essentially unless you're confucious and 'wont play if the mat isnt straight' (i subvert the original chinese phrase there) and have to have an FFG mat there is no change.

The big issue here is

3. Independant TO's  *not* linked to a store, or linked to a store who refuse to shell out £150 at trade for 10 or so mats.   If for example i wanted to run a 24 hour xwing game at my local scout hut that was an 'official' event i'd have to beg , steal or borrow a set of mats whereas preciously I could have cut up a few yards of black cloth and flecked white paint on them.

So I mean , yes its a corporate move with a 'rules' explanation but it doesnt actually effect most people.

The only other tertiary reason i can see for an 'official mat' is that non official ones are essentially using disney/star wars IP and probably not paying a licence for it (death star/trench run images etc) and this *might* endanger FFGs licence....worth considering?

It's a pretty sucky rule, and something id expect from gw. Won't be buying one anyway. They don't even MAKE a 6x3...

The irony is that when GW made battlefleet gothic, in the states they made a felt 8x4 star map that retailed for about ten dollars.

I know because i bought two for myself and green flock and sand flock one (on felt base) when i was running regional tournys as we needed a couple of hundred for UK regionals and the UK company didnt sell them so we ordered a load in from the US.

(like many firms GW is actually a dozen or so seperate businesses and in UK Studio we had to 'buy' stuff from manufacturing or from 'GW retail US' etc... you couldnt just go, 'please post me 200 mats'.)

Also consider that the mats are *not* $35 to you store.  They will be around half of that.   Sure it still sucks to a degree if you've got to replace 20 to host a big store tourny but the the odds are that if its like my FLGS which sells snacks etc you'll sell that much in chips and soda (see how i did it all US there ?  :)  )   to the players to recoup your costs.

Events as a whole are actually about building player base and community rather than 'making money' and i think most stores will just see this as a hundred or so dollars they have to write off *once* in order to have ten events in the year with 20 mad keen players in store... each probably spending about $20 while they are there anyway.

The reasoning behind the decision is somewhat understandable. However, I really don't see this as much of an issue. Every skilled player I have seen or played against can eyeball moves and range to a reasonable level of accuracy. If a player thinks the best use of their time prior to a tournament is to crank out a ruler on a single mat then more power to them. I don't think they would be that advantaged over the course of a multi round tournament.

My biggest problem with this decision is that FFG's ability to manufacture and ship their products in a timely manner, while improving, is notoriously poor. Combine that with the fact that over the next 3 months Regional events are kicking off and the FFG official mats are not even available in my country, what are we going to play on? I have played on mdf boards with a 3x3 area taped off back when my FLGS didn't have enough mats and it was rare for players to have their own. Imo, that detracts more from the game then someone gaining a negligible advantage.

Stores will (hopefully) just ignore this rule for the most part.

What a pointless rule. It makes no difference to the people who enjoy playing at home and makes no difference to your FLGS either. It makes a difference to those who organise the big events though which promotes support for the game in different regions and why would you want to put an overhead on that? It's just a 3 x 3 space in which to play a game FFS.

I would imagine most stores will ignore it, at least for the short time.

The only issue you're going to get is someone being a 'bad loser' at a local tourny and then declaring the whole event wasnt valid because he played on a 3rd party mat.

Highly unlikely and not going to win you any friends in the gaming community but entirely possible if someone thought that 'being the winner' or going on to the next heat was actually more important that the other 19 or so people having a good time too. :)

What a pointless rule. It makes no difference to the people who enjoy playing at home and makes no difference to your FLGS either. It makes a difference to those who organise the big events though which promotes support for the game in different regions and why would you want to put an overhead on that? It's just a 3 x 3 space in which to play a game FFS.

Again the only 'non profit' reason I can think of is this.

If your game uses the imagery from a company known to aggressively protect its IP and if your game is 'showcasing' that imagery you probably want to have disney approved imagery on your mats

what you dont want is 'co mingling' of IP (as Disney), you dont want Xwing games being played on a load of mats normally used for 'star trek' and with for example borg cubes in the background or whatever.

Again, past work experience... when we got the licence for 'lord of the rings' off newline at GW, there were massive steps taken to make sure the LOTR brand stayed apart from 'warhammer'.  The scales were slightly different and staff were prohibited from using components from one range with the other in conversions to avoid 'co-mingling'

This *could* possibly be Disney controlling their IP.

Its probably not but it could be, i've seen wierder things happen for IP reasons. 

When I host my regional I'll add "mood enhancing table top images that makes it easier to visualize the game taking place in space" on the tables and then have the players play on the tables.

They are not game mats, they are "mood enhancing table top images that makes it easier to visualize the game taking place in space"!

When I host my regional I'll add "mood enhancing table top images that makes it easier to visualize the game taking place in space" on the tables and then have the players play on the tables.

They are not game mats, they are "mood enhancing table top images that makes it easier to visualize the game taking place in space"!

and the fact that your "mood enhancing tabletop images" happen to be exactly 914mm x 914mm and can be rolled up and stored is entirely coincidental -  they're just mood enhancing image tabletop overlays which can be used as a handy proxy for determining the dimensions of the play area - they're not mats at all!

I like your thinking :D

I wonder how many stores that were excited to be hosting regionals are now like "crap, I have to buy a bunch of new mats"

Or they just ignore it which pretty much all stores will. This is only going to impact nationals and worlds as FFG oversees those events directly. 

This rule doesn't surprise or bother me and is easily ignored. 

I can see where familiarity causes an advantage. "Oh, that planet is exactly range 2 from the edge of this nebula" and crap.

But, I don't really care. I recently bought an ffg mat anyways, and our alternative was cardboard...

I'm currently playing on fabric stretched over cardboard... Might buy an FFG mat soon. 

In our old student house we used to have a 4ft by 4ft piece of marine ply.  One side was dark grey/brown spray for necromunda, the other was starfield for space games.   Took up surprisingly little space as you could put it under a bed or behind a sofa.

I like to be optimistic, but lets not forget the indignation that a very high (or at least very vocal) number of community members felt at the suggestion of playing with mixed faction dials at a tournament. There was a lot of, "Well, it is fine for casual play, but if MY TO allowed it, I would see him tarred and feathered."

We will see how much support this rule starts to develop.

"if playmats are used"

easy solution is using some sort of tape on the table for the map borders.  Masking tape or painters tape would work.

indeed - alternatively you could go with Veldrin's suggestion.

Instead of using playmats, use 3ft by 3ft "mood enhancing tabletop image overlays" made of fabric, PVC, mousemat material etc.

Why are none of the links for this or the new FAQ working this morning?

I had the same problem - some people have found removing the s from https in the URL to work, I found that simply selecting the links at the very bottom of the page did the trick.