Sign in to follow this  
Slugrage

Almost All Playmats Just Got Nerfed

So this is potentially a bigger change, with more impact, to most of us and our FLGS than the Cloak rule change:

From: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/20/b4/20b48cf4-84e0-4a34-b0e7-fb23b8838622/x-wing_tournamentrules_v30.pdf

Page 1. Under Component Modifications, last paragraph.

If playmats are used, only official FFG X-Wing™ Playmats are allowed. This
is to guarantee a consistent experience for players and prevent any advantage
players may gain from familiarity with a particular map.

I haven't read through the new FAQ but in the past I believe the rules state that for a competitive tournament such as a GSC or Regional, etc that players cannot provide their own mats but rather the store or tournament organizer must provide them.

If that is still true I'm sure it will be ignored routinely. Any tournament lower than those levels it won't matter. I doubt this will have an impact on many people.

Didn't they back-peddle about the Yavin IV mat being tournament legal because of player grumblings? That suffers from just as much 'unfair advantage' as any other mat. And they used to say no 3rd party templates could be used, but they changed their mind about that. I'm pretty sure this rule is going to be pulled as well.

Edited by Parakitor

The part that bothers me is that the rule does matter for regionals and store championships. Nearly all of my local stores held a store championship. One that doesn't have a lot of gaming space squeezed us in wall-to-wall so that we could play, and they didn't even charge an entry fee. Next year, according to these rules, the store would have to purchase 7 mats to support this year's turnout again. I don't want to see stores backing out of tournament support because of things like this.

The reason for this is pretty much because of the Death Star Surface mat.  It is basically all squares, and players who practice on it, can accurately estimate distance so it's like they get to pre-measure everything, and takes most of the guess work out of maneuvering.   Also it has tons of shadows, so people often lose their 1 forward movement template!

But rather than simply point out which mats are bad, it's easier to simply say that only official mats are good.   There probably should have been a mention though, that a TO can override this rule, because it's a bit unrealistic to expect every venue to rush out and purchase 10+ brand new 35 dollar matts. 

The reason for this is pretty much because of the Death Star Surface mat.  It is basically all squares, and players who practice on it, can accurately estimate distance so it's like they get to pre-measure everything, and takes most of the guess work out of maneuvering.   Also it has tons of shadows, so people often lose their 1 forward movement template!

But rather than simply point out which mats are bad, it's easier to simply say that only official mats are good.   There probably should have been a mention though, that a TO can override this rule, because it's a bit unrealistic to expect every venue to rush out and purchase 10+ brand new 35 dollar matts. 

Isn't the Death Star mat an official mat?

My beloved FLGS recently purchased a bunch of the blue HCD star field mats made out of the mosue pad material.hcd-starfield.jpg

This is BS, it's a solution in search of a problem. There were zero issues with 3rd party mats previous to FFG releasing theirs.

I have that same map. That map looks great in person. I doubt much, if any, places are going to enforce that rule.

FFG mats suck. They must have never actually played a game of X-wing on them before releasing. One game and they would have realised they are way too slick.

You wouldn't believe how many people at Nationals last year at GenCon asked, "Will these mats every be for sale? They are so nice!" I was one of them.