Sign in to follow this  
MaverickNZ

Only FFG's playmats are legal for tournament use!

My thoughts are that since there is more estimating in this game and tournament rules outlaw using two rulers for triangulation, they've accounted for something I was already thinking of. If I bring my mat that I've played on, I may have already figured out how large certain images are of the distance between landmarks such as stars, so if we played on my mat I would have a serious advantage if ships/squadrons ended up in positions where I don't have to estimate triangulations because I already know exactly where to park my units to be in/out of range depending on my preference.

Equally you could play on all the ffg Mats and work out the distances, I doubt the production generates much difference between mats.

this is rediculous and just ripoff :)

they should include a rule that you just have to pay a flat price whenever you want to legaly open the box of the game.

Edited by madtulip

All they need to do to make this right, is give local TOs the final say.   Nobody ever banned a B-Wing with rotating cockpit from a tourney in X-Wing, while technically that is illegal also.    Same principle here.  This rule is for a very small subset of maps that offer advantages... so as long as your store is using fair maps, the TO should be able to approve them all. 

In events where players provide their own playmats, only official FFG X-WingTM Playmats are allowed. This is to guarantee a consistent experience for all players and prevent any advantage players may gain from familiarity with a particular playmat that is not widely available. FFG playmats are widely available for examination and play. If a venue provides playmats for their event, they may use third-party playmats. Players may replace third-party playmats if they provide their own FFG playmat to use. 

Just updated.

DailyRich posted this in the "playmat rules need overturning" thread.

In events where players provide their own playmats, only official FFG X-WingTM Playmats are allowed. This is to guarantee a consistent experience for all players and prevent any advantage players may gain from familiarity with a particular playmat that is not widely available. FFG playmats are widely available for examination and play. If a venue provides playmats for their event, they may use third-party playmats. Players may replace third-party playmats if they provide their own FFG playmat to use. 

Just updated.

DailyRich posted this in the "playmat rules need overturning" thread.
It's really not a bad fix and in the end it is up to the TO as to what happens if he doesn't have enough mats for everyone.

From the Tournament rules that have just been published:

If playmats are used, only official FFG X-Wing™ Playmats are allowed.
This is to guarantee a consistent experience for players and prevent any advantage players may gain from familiarity with a particular map. Two X-Wing Playmats laid side by side meet the requirements for a Star Wars: Armada play area.

What do you guys think? Fair? Or a move to stifle the 3rd party market?

Edit: do you have an issue with having to play across two mats as opposed to one 3x6 mat?

Iv actually been building a company around selling playmats for all kinds of games. space play mats included, im now producing 3x3, 6x3, 6x3 and more size in awesome custom art.

When i reached out to FFG for some support i didnt get a reply from the person i contacted. Instead it was way less professional. The Sales rep i contacted emailed the VP of PR who instead of replying to him someone managed to send his reply to me lol,

His attitude showed that they are very much aware of the fact that they are capitalising on this and they dont care.

Let's be honest this has nothing to do with anything but money. FFG doesn't care about the game play experience or fairness between players. If they did they produce 6x3 mats which kept ships from moving around or being bumped and they'd make them available anywhere a tournament was being held. They don't. It's just to keep as much money in house as possible. It's the same reason they don't allow 3rd party dice.

The reality is that except for the national and worlds level people really don't care. TOs don't care unless FFG has made a specific threat to them they don't care. It's like the speed limit. We all know why it's there but we only follow it when we see the cop sitting there.

Its astonishing that this point is still alive, considering it got changed MONTHS ago:

"If a venue provides playmats for their event, they may use third-party playmats. Players may replace third-party playmats if they provide their own FFG playmat to use."

**** those money grabbers that let you use your own mats!

Edited by Extropia