Sign in to follow this  
MaverickNZ

Only FFG's playmats are legal for tournament use!

From the Tournament rules that have just been published:

If playmats are used, only official FFG X-Wing™ Playmats are allowed.
This is to guarantee a consistent experience for players and prevent any advantage players may gain from familiarity with a particular map. Two X-Wing Playmats laid side by side meet the requirements for a Star Wars: Armada play area.

What do you guys think? Fair? Or a move to stifle the 3rd party market?

Edit: do you have an issue with having to play across two mats as opposed to one 3x6 mat?
Edited by MaverickNZ

My thoughts are that since there is more estimating in this game and tournament rules outlaw using two rulers for triangulation, they've accounted for something I was already thinking of. If I bring my mat that I've played on, I may have already figured out how large certain images are of the distance between landmarks such as stars, so if we played on my mat I would have a serious advantage if ships/squadrons ended up in positions where I don't have to estimate triangulations because I already know exactly where to park my units to be in/out of range depending on my preference.

At some point a community needs to stand up to blatant greed such as this. I don't have much experence with FFG before this game, but at my LGS today I picked up a starter, and checked out the mats until I saw the price. $40 for a simple play mat is rediculous. I'd rather play on a bare table than support greed like that...

My thoughts are that since there is more estimating in this game and tournament rules outlaw using two rulers for triangulation, they've accounted for something I was already thinking of. If I bring my mat that I've played on, I may have already figured out how large certain images are of the distance between landmarks such as stars, so if we played on my mat I would have a serious advantage if ships/squadrons ended up in positions where I don't have to estimate triangulations because I already know exactly where to park my units to be in/out of range depending on my preference.

You couldn't do the exact same thing on a FFG mat?

The rules should be changes so that players can agree on the use of mats, and if an agreement can not be settled, then FFG mats are to be used.

At some point a community needs to stand up to blatant greed such as this. I don't have much experence with FFG before this game, but at my LGS today I picked up a starter, and checked out the mats until I saw the price. $40 for a simple play mat is rediculous. I'd rather play on a bare table than support greed like that...

That price is in line with standards set by third party mats of the same quality and material.

Well my mats are 3x3 (two of them) and have only star fields in them. That is more fair than the FFG mat with the Death Star which is a predetermined size. But we'll see how far this ruling goes. Again almost all the tournaments will be run by LGS's and if they have a bunch of mats already then I doubt they will repurchase mats just for the off hand tournaments.

You couldn't do the exact same thing on a FFG mat?

Yes.  But at least both players would likely be familiar with it and could both take advantage of it, instead of just one player (The player who owns the potentially unique mat) using the advantage.

Other companies do it for their games.  I don't see a problem with it.

That price is in line with standards set by third party mats of the same quality and material.

Except that if you find something cheaper you can't spend less... you're FORCED to spend that much...

But - I would so much enjoy having a custom mat printing with some of the astronomical CCD images I have taken.  Or even some Hubble images of deep field galaxy clusters.

Edited by wjgo

Except that if you find something cheaper you can't spend less... you're FORCED to spend that much...

Nobody is forcing you.  Do you really plan to play in official tournies?  If not, go buy whatever mat you want.  If you are... you don't have to buy one.  It's bling.

I am wondering if that rules is actually a legal indemnification for FFG.  Suppose images of FFG products are published with a playmat using copyrighed images?  Imagine FFG products on a Star Trek mat and that gets into Facebook or whatever.  I wonder if that rule is really just a legal layer to keep FFG out of copyright issues. 

The rules also support local stores hosting matches.  I know of a store that requires an expansion set purchase to enter X-Wing tournaments.  I am sure a player could swap that requirement for a playmat.

In  a  tournament, one would only need one FFG playmat, and the other player should provide his.  I don't think this would get into some issue unless some player really wanted to use their own FFG playmats, or it was a high level regional match or competition.

Edited by wjgo

Well before the forum has a melt down just remember it is the TO's responsibility to provide the Mats and tables. If the TO doesn't have the Mats available for players I am sure the TO will allow players to use their personal mats. 

Players are only responsible for bring their models and gaming supplies. So if you are not a TO I wouldn't worry about this rule at all. I am sure FFG is not sending out spies to make sure TO's are up holding this rule.

Now if you show up to a Tournament with your own Mat and the TO says you can't use it and have to use the Mat he supplies then this rule will effect you. But this is a nonissue.

Yeah, I don't see any way this actually gets enforced by TOs.

I'm already accustomed to X-Wing TOs fudging rules for the sake of practicality (minimum rounds, randomization of player-brought mats, etc.)

No TO is going to walk into a store that has a bunch of perfectly good 6x3 mats lain out and go, "Well boys, roll 'em up, we're gonna play on bare tables today."

Agreed with both Beatty and Gibarian. The tourney rules also say that mats don't have to be used, and that they suggest using play mats, felt, or a similar material. Honestly I feel like the official mat thing was an add in later, and will not be strictly enforced at the lower levels.

Nobody is forcing you.  Do you really plan to play in official tournies?  If not, go buy whatever mat you want.  If you are... you don't have to buy one.  It's bling.

I think the point is, it's kinda... how shall I put it without getting in trouble... "uncool" of FFG to even make it a requirement. Really, who is even going to abide by it? Probably almost no one. So why even make it a requirement if it makes you look bad?

Agreed with both Beatty and Gibarian. The tourney rules also say that mats don't have to be used, and that they suggest using play mats, felt, or a similar material. Honestly I feel like the official mat thing was an add in later, and will not be strictly enforced at the lower levels.

So we can use felt, and mark it out with tape or something, but if we want to use a proper play mat, it must be an FFG one? Its just crap. :/

So we can use felt, and mark it out with tape or something, but if we want to use a proper play mat, it must be an FFG one? Its just crap. :/

Maybe we can provide enough feedback that FFG gets the idea and reascends the rule for future tournaments. The suggestion was made earlier that this rule was included for legal reasons which seems nearly plausible, but only applicable to events sponsored specifically by FFG.

Meh I think whomever is running the OP events will just change it.

I would honestly, unless you are a major event I wouldn't worry too much.

On a side note they should provide the store with the mats for use if they want it this way.