WickedGrey

Phantoms just got nerfed, hardcore

Fat Han players are just laughing right now...

I'm with Nightshrike and Sithborg here: why? If anything, this is a reason not to take Fat Han, if you were only doing it because you wanted to go Phantom hunting.

Do these rules go into effect immediately?

As far as I can tell, yes.

EDIT: Good catch, Rockpockalypse. I was looking at the document itself, not at the news article. Probably a good idea to give people a couple of weeks to get used to the changes.

Edited by Vorpal Sword

I think one of the more interesting ramifications is that blocking a Phantom is much more likely to result in no re-cloaking.  You can take away the action, and potentially prevent a shot that would trigger an ACD re-cloak.  Previously, blocking was much harder, as was getting out of the way of all potential firing arcs.  It's one more thing a Phantom player has to get right.

On the one hand, the nerf is rough and makes the PS bid a lot less important. You still need it to guarentee a shot before they recloak, but they can't automatically arc-dodge.

On the other hand, being able to decloak while Ionized is a huge gain for them.

Which means we may see pilots with a PS less than 8 again! Yes!

So my link to the new FAQ does not include the new phantom rule.  I hope this is not an April fools day joke.  And I don't think it is because it is a more elegant solution to the phantom power creep problem than any of us forum goers have come up with.  That being said, it still seems odd that some have the link and some don't.

On the one hand, the nerf is rough and makes the PS bid a lot less important. You still need it to guarentee a shot before they recloak, but they can't automatically arc-dodge.

On the other hand, being able to decloak while Ionized is a huge gain for them.

Which means we may see pilots with a PS less than 8 again! Yes!

emphasis on may

the PS war has split between two things: arcdodging and re-cloak's 4 agility.

one of these things has yet to go away

So I fail to see what all the fuss is about. Things change that's life. You now just have to think a bit more rather than having a ship that is idiot proof vs anything that's not a turret. Lets look at what the ship still has.

4 natural attack dice, the only ship able to get to 5 defense dice, the ability to barrel roll twice, still the only ship with cloak, and a pretty good dial.

I mean seriously its still a solid ship it just no longer a ship that makes your opponent go "FML why" IT is now manageable and more balanced as well as requires thought to play.