WickedGrey

Phantoms just got nerfed, hardcore

The only 'nerf' here is that decloak is not tied to PS any more.

Decloak is harder to block but nothing stops you anymore. Basically trading game information for certainty.

Good players will adapt, shriekers will cry foul and play other ships, the game will be healthier for loosening the PS strangle hold.

I may even start using my Phantom :)

Edit - Intel Agent is much more attractive.

Edited by Rividius

I really like the change from a "flavor" perspective. It feels like the phantom has a "true" location that's obscured rather than a teleporter. You can guess where it is and be correct. Before, so long as the phantom was higher PS, your guess would always be retroactivly wrong, since the phantom would reveal a "true" location that was always the most favorable option.

Great analysis, I couldn't agree more

Having flown six sigma at my last 2 store championships, I'm both happy and sad about this change.

Using 2 sigma's with enhanced scopes, intel agents and spa's meant I was decloaking and moving with them first anyway. When I was up against a swarm Echo was very useful, even if the swarm player was very good. It felt quite mean nipping around out of arcs blasting them with little fear of retribution, but also meant that I had to totally change my style when I was out PSed.

It may be time to swap Echo out of the list, or I may just have to learn to fly her differently ;)

The only 'nerf' here is that decloak is not tied to PS any more.

Decloak is harder to block but nothing stops you anymore. Basically trading game information for certainty.

Good players will adapt, shriekers will cry foul and play other ships, the game will be healthier for loosening the PS strangle hold.

I may even start using my Phantom :)

Edit - Intel Agent is much more attractive.

obstacles and ships still stop you, they just can't move in to block Whisper anymore

Kudos to FFG for righting a wrong with this. I LOL at those who think Phantoms are gone; they are just off the ****** canoe list.

I wonder if they are waiting to see how this and Autothrusters do in taming fat Falcons...

I don't like this change because whisper's still getting 4 greenies + focus

I'm not sure whether you're familiar with this concept, but green dice are--what's the word I'm looking for here? It's a synonym for unreliable or inconsistent.

Darn it, it was right at the tip of my tongue...

I don't like this change because whisper's still getting 4 greenies + focus

I'm not sure whether you're familiar with this concept, but green dice are--what's the word I'm looking for here? It's a synonym for unreliable or inconsistent.

Darn it, it was right at the tip of my tongue...

Only his green dice are fickle, didn't you know that?

The more I think about it, the more this is in line with normal X-wing games, bringing back  the guessing game I-know-that-you-know-that-I-know and taking out the luxury of choosing a "maneuver" after the facts are clear.

Which is what I for one love about it. That's what the game is about, after all. That said, I do love TIE Interceptots, which are now the ultimate Arc Dodger, but to me them feel OK, they don't feel like they're ruining the prediction aspect of the game like Phantoms did.

So, with Phantoms nerfed, turrets debatably nerfed by Autothrusters, and certainly made less desirable as a result of the Phantom nerf, are we now going to see a really varied meta? Exciting!

Now all we need are some X1s!

I like this change because it is not jsut a straight up stat nerf, but can still be played around

it's also not a straight up nerf. It completely and literally flips the playstyle on its head, but there are ancillary benefits to decloaking first as have already been mentioned in the thread

Interesting change. What I like about it is that now ACD Phantom have to commit without being sure if there will be an opponent in sight or not at the end of its move. The guessing game is back. Phantom players also have to guess now.

Not always. Whisper + VI is going to know if she has a shot after she executes her maneuver, and I suspect Echo will have a pretty good idea even at PS 6. You can always take the cloak action the old-fashioned way.

Edited by kraedin

PANIC!!!

N'ah it will be fine. I will still use my whisper all the time. The thing that would worry me is that the autothrusters won't be enough to stop turrets and with this nerf to phantoms, they might get even more holding ground when we thought they might be pulled down a little.

PANIC!!!

N'ah it will be fine. I will still use my whisper all the time. The thing that would worry me is that the autothrusters won't be enough to stop turrets and with this nerf to phantoms, they might get even more holding ground when we thought they might be pulled down a little.

weren't turrets already brought in to tear down phantoms?

I thought the only reason we saw them fart out constantly in Wave 5 was because Whisper was gorging herself on low ps swarmy ships. Low PS Swarmy ships will still beat fat han upside his fat head, take his lunch money, take a leak on his unconscious body, and fly away laughing

Edited by ficklegreendice

The thing that would worry me is that the autothrusters won't be enough to stop turrets and with this nerf to phantoms, they might get even more holding ground when we thought they might be pulled down a little.

Turrets were dominate BECAUSE phantoms were so good. A nerf to phantoms should serve to decrease how many turrets we see.