WickedGrey

Phantoms just got nerfed, hardcore

It's also the case with the Phantom that you would choose a maneuver that allowed you 2 decloaks (~3 on Echo), and you chose decloak according to the situation. Now you will choose a decloak where it's ambigous what your intentions are.

The more I think about it, the more this is in line with normal X-wing games, bringing back  the guessing game I-know-that-you-know-that-I-know and taking out the luxury of choosing a "maneuver" after the facts are clear.

Because you can now Cloak and Decloak in a real blink. Allowing for neat positioning games. Previously the before dial reveal required you to have a cloak token to Decloak.

Umm, no. The Decloak happens before Advanced Sensors would happen. Decloaking now happens before ANY ships reveals a dial. 

(not calling it nerf as of yet)

Its definitely a nerf, just not as big of a one as most people seem to be thinking.

Just as there are advantages to Activating first with low-PS, so will there be advantages to decloaking before Activation. It's a mixed bag, although at this point I'll admit that there are more nerf elements.

edit: What I also want to add is that it may not prove to be a nerf because it might force us to play better and make up for any disadvantage caused by this.

Edited by chilligan

The more I think about it, the more this is in line with normal X-wing games, bringing back  the guessing game I-know-that-you-know-that-I-know and taking out the luxury of choosing a "maneuver" after the facts are clear.

Exactly!  It's still a guessing game, but it's back to one which allows the other person to benefit from guessing right.

Edited by Joker Two

Ohhh, you almost can block Phantoms now! That'll be neat.

The good news with Whisper is, half the time there was only one good decloak position anyways, so it doesn't seem all THAT bad. Haha.

(not calling it nerf as of yet)

Its definitely a nerf, just not as big of a one as most people seem to be thinking.

might not be as big as some people making it sound like replacing all phantoms with advances but this is a substantial rule change as of yet to be seen by FFG through use of the errata.

BTW in the beginning I read "... at the start of the Activation phase, each player may spend  a cloak token to DECLOAK, starting with the ship ... ", that would have been a nerf!

edit: although I never played a two-phantom build

Edited by chilligan

Here's what I want to know: what does this mean for Six Sigma?

I don't know about 6 Sigma, but a crazy maneuver like the 7-K turn is suddenly almost unblockable, whereas before it was risky as hell. (thinking about my sigma swarm - although 4-k is rarely a good move on a Phantom)

So, you can't really intentionally block a decloak now and you can't use ion tokens to force a phantom to stay cloaked, but the phantom has to guess where you're going (unless they have an Intel Agent). Interesting.

OMG yes. Intelligence Agent just became uber useful! (I was already equipping one for Soontir)

I find all the nerf calls hilarious. This change brings the experienced phantom players out from the inexperienced. Phantoms now will be much harder to block on the decloak side, but will telegraph their presence to low PS ships. It really isn't much of a nerf, more of a change in play style.

I find all the nerf calls hilarious. This change brings the experienced phantom players out from the inexperienced. Phantoms now will be much harder to block on the decloak side, but will telegraph their presence to low PS ships. It really isn't much of a nerf, more of a change in play style.

Nicely put, I agree. And I am kinda warming up to this change in playstyle.

It does fish the hyper maneuverability, but I feel it pretty much kills the named phantoms as they are now too expensive, fragile, and can't arc dodge as well as a cheaper Soontir.

The generics are still great ships for their cost and maybe we'll still see Whisper and Echo, but just not with 12 points of auto-include upgrades piled on them. I think they'll start to be used as utility ships with Mara Jade or Intel Agent blocking shenanigans, or like an m3-a Interceptor, as a cheap way to add a 4 dice attack to a list.

So, you can't really intentionally block a decloak now and you can't use ion tokens to force a phantom to stay cloaked, but the phantom has to guess where you're going (unless they have an Intel Agent). Interesting.

You just have to block it a turn ahead, either with higher PS or by guessing where the phantom will end up and blocking 2s aways from there with your lower PS pilots. It may force Phantoms to BR more to keep decloak lanes open which will mean less defensive tokens to contend with.

It does fish the hyper maneuverability, but I feel it pretty much kills the named phantoms as they are now too expensive, fragile, and can't arc dodge as well as a cheaper Soontir.

The generics are still great ships for their cost and maybe we'll still see Whisper and Echo, but just not with 12 points of auto-include upgrades piled on them. I think they'll start to be used as utility ships with Mara Jade or Intel Agent blocking shenanigans, or like an m3-a Interceptor, as a cheap way to add a 4 dice attack to a list.

I disagree. Maybe some will be discouraged from using them, but those who will will adjust in playstyle, not lists necessarily.