WickedGrey

Phantoms just got nerfed, hardcore

Check it out:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/47/23/47235202-b9a8-413f-91be-24b40de724dc/xwingfaq_v30.pdf

Edit:

Decloak Reference Card

This card should read:

At the start of the Activation phase, after players have resolved all other abilities that trigger at the start of the Activation phase, each ship may spend

a cloak token to decloak, starting with the ship with the lowest pilot skill (using initiative to break ties). When a ship decloaks, it must choose one of the following effects:

Perform a barrel roll using the [ 2] maneuver template.

Perform a boost using the [ 2] maneuver template.

Decloaking is not an action or a maneuver, and a ship can decloak while it has a stress token.

A ship cannot decloak if it would overlap another ship or an obstacle token, or if the maneuver template would overlap an obstacle token.

After all decloaking has been resolved, the Activation phase continues as normal.

Edit edit:

Q: Can a ship decloak if it is ionized?

A: Yes. Because decloaking occurs at the beginning of the Activation phase, a ship may decloak regardless of whether a dial is assigned.

Edit x3:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/3/26/updated-pilot-manuals/

These changes will go into effect on April 15th, 2015.

Edited by WickedGrey

Check it out:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/47/23/47235202-b9a8-413f-91be-24b40de724dc/xwingfaq_v30.pdf

Edit:

Decloak Reference Card

This card should read:

At the start of the Activation phase, after players have resolved all other abilities that trigger at the start of the Activation phase, each ship may spend

a cloak token to decloak, starting with the ship with the lowest pilot skill (using initiative to break ties). When a ship decloaks, it must choose one of the following effects:

Decloaking is not an action or a maneuver, and a ship can decloak while it has a stress token.

A ship cannot decloak if it would overlap another ship or an obstacle token, or if the maneuver template would overlap an obstacle token.

After all decloaking has been resolved, the Activation phase continues as normal.

Wow...why would they do that?

Doesn't really seem like nerfing to me, but definitely feels like it became needlessly complicated.

Having to pick where your movement ends up before knowing what any of the other dials are going to be is a huge nerf. Phantoms retain their high mobility, but now they telegraph that mobility to every intermediate PS ship with repositioning abilities.

Note: I've not decided yet if I think this is unjustified. But it's still a nerf.

Check it out:

Edit:

Maybe I'm tired, what's the difference?

Decloak Reference Card

This card should read:

It does fish the hyper maneuverability, but I feel it pretty much kills the named phantoms as they are now too expensive, fragile, and can't arc dodge as well as a cheaper Soontir.

I wouldn't say it kills the named Phantoms because their High PS will allow them to re-cloak. However, we will probably see less Whisper.

It does fish the hyper maneuverability, but I feel it pretty much kills the named phantoms as they are now too expensive, fragile, and can't arc dodge as well as a cheaper Soontir.

Yeah, this basically strengthens Autothruster Soontir.

Pretty crazy and unexpected.

I'm confused, does this mean Decloak still happens before Movement or after?

Edit - oh wait, does that mean that they Decloak before ANY other ship on the board moves?

Decloaking now happens before any ship has moved. Order of operations now:

Activation phase starts. Stuff that happens "at the start of the activation phase" happens here.

All Phantoms choose whether to decloak and perform their decloaks, going in order of pilot skill from 1 on up.

All ships reveal their maneuver dials in order of pilot skill from 1 on up, performing an action after their maneuver if able to do so.

So before, lower pilot skill ships would move and take actions, then a high-PS Phantom would decloak, then move, then do an action. Now, Phantoms must decloak, then all ships move and take their actions. Arc dodging now is much harder for Echo and Whisper.

Edited by Danthrax

When you have people winning store championships with only 86 points, it's reasonably safe to assume that something in those 86 points is badly undercosted.

And/or something about he way MOV works makes it advantageous to not have a 12 - 14 point ship that will most likely be lost early/often.

When you have people winning store championships with only 86 points, it's reasonably safe to assume that something in those 86 points is badly undercosted.

And the 60+ points for Fat Han? (because the leftover points are filler and we all know it). :)

Doesn't this also make it more difficult to block a Phantom's decloak, as well?  Like, wouldn't I have to be blocking his possible decloak positions the turn before, since my low PS ships won't get to move before the Phantom decloaks?

yep