Sign in to follow this  
CrunchyDemon

Imperial Peacekeeping Ceritifcate

The Imperial Peacekeeping Certificate, what does it do in your games?

I just started up a brand new EotE campaign with a bunch of new players in Las Vegas.  We've started with the 'Trouble Brewing' adventure and it's gotten derailed a bit.  Basically the party has captured the big bad alive and they've been swayed by the larger bounty posted by the Imperials (which I've decided will be payable at Formos' local garrison).  Next session they'll go collect.  I gave them a choice between a 10k 'dead or alive' payout with the local Imps, or a 5k 'alive only' payout with a Hutt not too far away.

Of the PCs in the party, there's but one Bounty Hunter, nothing in their backstory suggests they're guilded, and they've made no acknowledgement about holding an IPC.

I found this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Peace-Keeping_Certificate

And had a delightfully sinister lightbulb pop up in my head.

They go to the Imps, expecting a fat payout, the Imps explain they only get 5k, half the posted bounty (none of them are certified) then the (I've decided) corrupt Imperial Captain in charge of the garrison will withhold the remaining 5k for "licensing fees" for the 5 PCs and issue them all IPCs.

I've decided that the IPC authorizes them to carry Restricted items on Imperial worlds and allows them to purchase (probably at markup) Restricted items from authorized Imperial vendors. 

Furthermore, for flavor, I've decided the independant bounty hunting guilds have a unanimous disdain for Imperially-Licensed peacekeepers, and the whole idea of noninterferance during a hunt doesn't really apply to Imperial Peacekeepers from guilded hunters.

TL,DR

IPCs in my game allow PCs to purchase and carry restricted gear and the independant guilds don't like them.  How do you use it your games?

Edited by CrunchyDemon

I believe the bounty hunter license is hidden somewhere in the bounty hunter career description, so it's easy for players to miss that it's a thing. Especially since it's words and not one of those nifty talent trees.

Is Trouble Brewing the one where the Imps put a tracking device in the cred stick to harass the group later? If I remember correctly, there is some big reason why going to the Imps is a bad idea.

I like your idea about letting the IPC allow them to carry Restricted items. You can always mess with the party about it too. Sure, you can totally get that restricted gun from the authorized vendor for more than the book price. Also, the seller will just need to see some ID and record the serial number off the weapon, so don't use it in any crimes. You can also still have local laws override the IPC and not allow Restricted items in some areas if you want. Just don't do that too much without hassling them a few times about carrying Restricted items just to have them flash the badge and be good for it.

Check out the old Galaxy Guide 10:Bounty Hunters where a lot of that first appeared.

But yeah, the big two things are you get to turn in bountyheads for full value, and you get a lot more leeway on carrying heavy and restricted weapons in civilized space. It won't be full freedom, but being allowed to carry a concealed heavy blaster pistol on a planet that normally restricts the average civilian to a maximum of "one prominently displayed knife not exceeding 10 cm" is indeed a big step up if you're a hunter.

Is Trouble Brewing the one where the Imps put a tracking device in the cred stick to harass the group later? If I remember correctly, there is some big reason why going to the Imps is a bad idea.

In the adventure as written, on Kessel the Imps do, in fact, give less than the promised reward and as well as an "encrypted security code cylinder", which does, in fact, allow the Imps to track them.

Edited by CrunchyDemon