Sign in to follow this  
Norsehound

Star Trek Armada...!

Why not? if SBC Yamato (Which FFG doesn't have a license for) is mentioned why not talk about this?

Or as a more relevant point, who else is going to convert their Attack Wing miniatures to the Armada system and run them in the more worthy capital engine?

Honestly this, and having painted my Fed/Klink ships in TMP colors, is why I still hold on to my Attack Wing stuff. I dropped that game as soon as Armada was announced.

We'll need to design a lot of new things but I think the engine is more worthy for capital ship battles than the X-Wing engine is. Anyone else have this idea?

Edited by Norsehound

I had already bought some 1/2500 scale Star Trek ships that I had been using with X-Wing large bases as I absolutely detest the poor quality of wizkids miniatures and blatent disregard for any scaling, so yes, it is very likely that I will be adapting these for Armada too ;)

Using the Armada bases will also save me from having to record individual shield facings also, and the command system should actually work brilliantly with Star Trek ships. (with the exception of squadron commands, maybe they can become something else)

A WIP pic, mid painting - the only Attack Wing ship I kept was the bird of prey as its close-ish, but even then I use it as a B'rel class, not the actual class it is supposed to be.

10592191_10154463083665245_504306274_n.j

Edited by MaverickNZ

Squad commands could work really. Use Single trek fighters/attack ships as squads. In the Trek EU there are even some dedicated carriers.

Yeah, it just depends what time period you are playing - fighers dont nearly feature as much in Trek as they do in Star Wars.

Maybe it could instead be some sort of "science" action to gather intel like subsystem targeting or buffing an allied ships attack (feeding them technical data). Or as some people have asked for - possibly boarding actions to hit and run raid ship systems - now imagine having to plan beaming over your away team 2-3 turns ahead haha.

Does FFG have licence for StarTrek, or is that just wizkids? I'd love to see it treated right with armada (and proper scale). In regards to Star Blazers, last i heard, Disney owned the US movie options. I figure since FFG is already inbedded with Disney over StarWars, StarBlazers isn't that much of a stretch.

Get the hell out of here you **** dirty Trekky!

Does FFG have licence for StarTrek, or is that just wizkids? I'd love to see it treated right with armada (and proper scale). In regards to Star Blazers, last i heard, Disney owned the US movie options. I figure since FFG is already inbedded with Disney over StarWars, StarBlazers isn't that much of a stretch.

In all seriousness though, I think Wiz kids has the full license for Star Trek Fleet games so I don't think FFG will be able to make a Armada equivalent.

I have already been working on it. Started with an Attack Wing conversion when I first saw the Armada previews, and I am now thinking on further adjustments based on the now available rules. This is for total fun, and my game group has loved it. I painted these 1/7000 scale minis for the game. Lots more to do :S And with Armada coming I will be hard pressed to work lol.

DSC_0017_zpspeqwbqqi.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsevjqucit.jpg

Edited by Wes Janson

Ahhh.. memories of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Armada

It was just bordering on being a good game. It wasn't as bad as some ST titles, but it was very glitchy. It definitely needed some more development time.

Back to miniatures... I could see WizKids purchasing the FFG Armada system in a couple years to reboot Attack Wing. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Sure I get it that Star Trek battles are closer is scale to Armada than they are to say X-wing.  But do Large Star Trek ships really fight the way Large Star Wars ones do?  I don't think so.  Star Wars ships rely on huge batteries of upwards of hundreds of guns.  Almost like ships from the age of sail.  Star Trek ships usually fire one weapon system at a time.  They really do fly around more like x-wings than they do like Star Destroyers.

At this larger scale the difference between how actual space battles work really shows. I don't foresee the game engine from Aramada being as widly adapted as Flight Path was.

It doesn't seem like Armada attacks rely just on one weapons system, though. Upgrade cards handle individual weapons systems (like H9 turbolasers), but a ship might as well not have them and still perform attacks.

So for instance, I'd think a refitted Constitution has better red dice out the front arcs (Photons), and decent arcs out the sides (Saucer phaser coverage), and only a bit out the rear (only the fan-tail guns cover there). The dice pool won't be as large compared to Star Destroyers but I can see them matching CR-90s, while Galaxies have better matches with Victories. Meanwhile, Photon torpedoes might say critical attacks out the front resolve an an additional critical or remove an additional shield.

I think we can say FFG does everything better than WizKids, from game design to miniatures quality. I have dreams of what Star Trek would be under the helm of FFG.

Edited by Norsehound

It doesn't seem like Armada attacks rely just on one weapons system, though. Upgrade cards handle individual weapons systems (like H9 turbolasers), but a ship might as well not have them and still perform attacks.

So for instance, I'd think a refitted constellation has better red dice out the front arcs (Photons), and decent arcs out the sides (Saucer phaser coverage), and only a bit out the rear (only the fan-tail guns cover there). The dice pool won't be as large compared to Star Destroyers but I can see them matching CR-90s, while Galaxies have better matches with Victories. Meanwhile, Photon torpedoes might say critical attacks out the front resolve an an additional critical or remove an additional shield.

I think we can say FFG does everything better than WizKids, from game design to miniatures quality. I have dreams of what Star Trek would be under the helm of FFG.

Exactly Armada attacks are basically a conglomeration of all weapon systems that you can bring to bare.  But Star Trek (at least until the relaunch movies) doesn't really work this way.  For some reason Kirk/Picard order that phases are shot or photon torpedoes.  They never just say, shoot everything.

I would think its a natural fit for Star Trek. One of the (many) problems I have with Attack Wing is not only the ENORMOUS scale issues with the minis, but the fact that a Galaxy class ship (the Enterprise-D) should have decent 360 degree attack but only has a forward firing arc.

As far as Babylon 5...? Probably would work pretty good. But they had an excellent set of rules from Mongoose called Call To Arms which sadly is no longer in production.

Being an avid B5 gamer of the past, the Mongoose rules were poor compared to the Agents of Gaming Babylon 5 Wars. But you needed about 4-6 hours to play a game with that system. Record keeping...

I have solved the Trek scale problems presented by Wizkids. Pretty much have the entire line-up of Next gen ships done in 1/7000. But I also found the Attack Wing system to be poor, and has way too many overpowered abilities that break the game. Also has the trouble of every ship that comes out is better then the last in some way. Our group loves Trek, but we didn't like Wizkids take on it.

We kept the flight path system for our home grown game, but we took the Armada approach on many of the game mechanics. Really excited to introduce a similar command system for our Trek club games. Until then, bring on the Star Wars!

Get of here! The Star Trek space opera will never live up to the standards of a story of a dark lord finding forgiveness and redemption with his son! Your little ships are... are... Um, not to leave topic, but how would you get the Enterprise to separate it's saucer? Cause that would be really cool!

Battlestar Galactica would seem like a good fit, but you have the same problem there as in X-Wing - tiny number of different ships.

I agree with the others - Star Trek ship battles seem better suited to X-Wing than Aramada. They're full of fast movement and getting position in each other, not big slow lumbering ship of the line style engagements. Come to think of it, we almost never see multi ship battles in Star Trek.

Sure I get it that Star Trek battles are closer is scale to Armada than they are to say X-wing.  But do Large Star Trek ships really fight the way Large Star Wars ones do?  I don't think so.  Star Wars ships rely on huge batteries of upwards of hundreds of guns.  Almost like ships from the age of sail.  Star Trek ships usually fire one weapon system at a time.  They really do fly around more like x-wings than they do like Star Destroyers.

At this larger scale the difference between how actual space battles work really shows. I don't foresee the game engine from Aramada being as widly adapted as Flight Path was.

I have to completely disagree with you - using the flightpath system for Star Trek is not at all how most Trek ships move. (aside from very small ones like the Bird of Prey)

Like Star Wars capital ships, most iconic Star Trek ships are massive vessels of thousands of tonnes, so having them zipping around like fighters just doesnt make sense. The should have a sense of intertia and strategy in their movement (e.g. Star Trek II, Wrath of Khan) but also a clearly devestating impact when they dish out and recieve damage.

Yes they only tend to fire a few weapons, but those weapons (like the old cannons of naval sail days) take time to recharge, making positioning and facing critical in engagements  - which is what we see in Armada.

Trek ships are also very complex, with multiple shield facings and weapon arcs, noone of which is adaquately modelled in Attack Wing. We alredy have those systems in Armada, and with Armada the idea of attacking twice from different arcs actually makes more sense for Trek ships to me, then Star Wars ships - why should a ship bristling with turbolasers only be able to attack in two directions rather than any? But sure, if you have a main phaser array maybe it can only make two shots per turn.

So for instance, I'd think a refitted constellation has better red dice out the front arcs (Photons), and decent arcs out the sides (Saucer phaser coverage), and only a bit out the rear (only the fan-tail guns cover there). The dice pool won't be as large compared to Star Destroyers but I can see them matching CR-90s, while Galaxies have better matches with Victories. Meanwhile, Photon torpedoes might say critical attacks out the front resolve an an additional critical or remove an additional shield.

Exactly Armada attacks are basically a conglomeration of all weapon systems that you can bring to bare.  But Star Trek (at least until the relaunch movies) doesn't really work this way.  For some reason Kirk/Picard order that phases are shot or photon torpedoes.  They never just say, shoot everything.

The photons take longer to charge than phasers. Once the phaser capaciters are warmed up, it is pretty much "dump power in and fire". Photons (due to their awesome damage output) require more power and more time to arm. Photons can also be overloaded to cause up to 2x more damage. 

With Armada you could have the battery armaments representing the phasers, and then, using the Photon Torpedoes card from Attack Wing as an example, have a secondary attack which can only shoot in a set firing arc and needs to be loaded to fire.

With the phaser arcs, for a TMP era Constitution for example, the front and side arcs might have 2 red dice and 2 blue dice, representing the innacurate longer range shots you could take, but that once you got into a closer range then shots become far more accurate. The rear arc, which was only armed with a weaker defensive phaser might be only 1 blue dice as it doesnt have the power to reach long range.

Defense tokens like redirect, brace and evade, all also make thematic sense for the Star Trek universe too :)

Edited by MaverickNZ