Sign in to follow this  
alexbobspoons

How many sets do you like/need to buy??

So with other ffg lcc games, for a full set of cards to build any "legal" deck you need to get either:

1: multiple core sets, plus multiples of first cycles, then singles of newer cycles

Or

2: multiple core sets then singles of cycles/expansions

Is lotr similar?

Do the deck building restrictions produce this? Does it exist but just not needed due to how this game plays differently?

I am a completionist, so wanting to know how many sets would be bought if i went for the maximum set.

Thank you.

All the expansions contain three of every player card except heroes, so no need for multiples.

The core set has only doubles and singles of a few cards. Multiple core sets are not necessary, but many players eventually go for a second one, since it also enables 3-4 players and gives extra tokens.

My friends and I bought one core set each and have played together for years. I have only one copy of every pack, and I only recently caved in and bought a second core set. There are some good cards in the core set that you only get 1 or 2 of, so that's a reason for many to get two. But if you're just 1-2 players, one core set is enough.

Thanks folks for great answers.

I already have a big collection of warcraft cards and recently warhammer invasion. I love the lotr setting and my sudden realisation that this has solo play has really sold it to me.

Its off to ebay to see if there are any bulk collections before I order a core set new :)

Many decks I've read that run Leadership have Gandalf x3 and Sneak Attack x3, both cards came from the Core set. So if you need these cards to be in more than one deck, I think you will need a second Core set to make it happen, unless you're going to run a different Sphere for the second deck.

Sneak Attack, Unexpected Courage and A Test of Will are the primary reasons I bought a second core. Though I managed absolutely fine with just one for years before. My group has found that we often fall on treacheries and nasty effects and my Gondor friend has quite high starting threat, so threat reduction and effect cancellation is vital.

So are the duplicate sets to cover additional decks, additional players of just 3x cards for a single player??

Getting a bit confused.

If I wanted to build any conceivable deck for a single player, with 3x of any card, would that mean duplicate sets?

Im happy to let additional players (my friends) buy their own decks if need be :)

Does voice of isenguard not have 3x each card then??

In the Core set, there are 3 copies of some cards, but some other cards only have 1 or 2 copies included.  Generally people buy additional Core sets to get up to 3 copies of some of the more powerful cards like A Test of Will or Sneak Attack.  You would need 3 Core sets to have 3 copies a few cards such as Grim Resolve, which has only 1 copy in the Core.

You don't really need more than 1 Core set to play with 3-4 players, but it would make your deckbuilding options more flexible when you are just starting out.

All of the expansions, including APs and Deluxe expansions, include 3 copies of each player card (even the 'Limit 1 per deck' ones).

Thanks very much again.

My plans are a single core set followed by expansions while keeping an eye on ebay for second/third core sets if cheap enough.

Ebay doesnt seem cheap right now though, most second hand products seem full purchase price.

Thank you again.

Don't pay more than €13-14 (I guess $20 if you're in America) for an adventure pack or about €25 ($35) for an expansion. Sometimes they are out of print and the prices go up, but they're being reprinted regularly.

(Also just checked amazon.com, and the US prices are definitely lower than the European ones. Currently trying to figure out if I'd save money by ordering from the States.)

To answer your question in a straight and single way, you need 3 x core and 1 of each expansion (Ap, Deluxe and Saga) to have the maximum copies that you can use of each card (and some more  :P  ). My advice, if you have a limited budget get some expansions instead of a second or third core, then when you are up to date go for it (that second or even third core)

P.S. Welcome to this wonderful game you will have a blast ! :D

P.S.2. Sry for my bad english. 

Thanks again everyone.

Uk here so looking at online retailers. Really wanted Khaad Dum but its quite rare thus expensive at the moment so will wait for reprints.

I went for 1 core and the Black Riders expansion as my first dip. Really excited. Ive loved collecting card games but this one will be my first that is really intended as a solo game so i can play as much as i like.

Very excited.

Thanks again.