Sign in to follow this  
stormquiver

Interdictor; how would it work

I really have no idea what they will do for a game mechanism, but I feel fairly certain that they'll do something.

I like the idea of an imposed objective, or a new objective, but I really don't know if that's what they'll do.

I hope that we do get more than just the 12 objectives in the Core.

Part of it, I think, depends on how they're going to orient this game. X-Wing, despite their best efforts to make it somewhat story-based, has become a tournament-style game. Maybe they'll be fine with Armada becoming the same, or maybe they'll also try to push narrative gameplay with Armada. We'll just have to wait and see.

How about Interdiction ships can shift the enemy deployment edges. Or use a template placed in the enemy deployment area before any ships are placed that denies them the use of that area for deployment purposes. How about, the interdictor denies enemy deployment within distance 1-3 of its position. Allowing it to effect ambush deployment.

I know the cannon has the ship creating a broad effect on the entire area, but on a small table, we can easily represent the effect on a more reasonable scale.

yes they do

i was think of that, but it seems a little useless n armada since currently there are a grand total of 0 rebel ships that have missiles (black dice)

Give FFG time.  As they come out with more waves everyone will get more abilities and tools.

Since the Interdictor is more a strategic ship that an tactical ship.  I think it could be a simple as the Imperial Player get's extra VP if it survives the battle and the other player gets the VP if it is destroyed.  Simple.  I have seen similar things done with freighters in other games.

Since the Interdictor is more a strategic ship that an tactical ship.  I think it could be a simple as the Imperial Player get's extra VP if it survives the battle and the other player gets the VP if it is destroyed.  Simple.  I have seen similar things done with freighters in other games.

This might actually be the simplest and most effective solution yet.

This might actually be the simplest and most effective solution yet.

I like it.  The point of Interdictors was to trap the Rebel forces so they could not escape. They would either put them in the way of a known hyperspace lane to force the Rebels out of Hyperspace into a trap or to prevent the ships that attacked from using hit and run tactics since a protracted engagement favored the empire.

It would make sense to force the Rebel players to deal with the Interdictor or suffer some sort of penalty.  I like the VP idea, and the idea about allowing the Imp player to increase the number of rounds.  Both capture the idea without introducing/tampering with existing rules.  I think the VP idea is a bit more practical, since if you every played with a time limit I could see Interdictors offering too much of a point advantage.

Regardless of special ability, why can't the Interdictor just be what it otherwise is, a light cruiser option for the Empire? Can't afford a Vic or Gladiator but want another capital ship? Grab an Interdictor. It gives the Imperials more options with capital ships, something they oddly have fewer of with the preponderance of ISDs in the Imperial fleet. It would still look good on the table.

Even if it had no effect and was just another option for variety, I'd be happy having it.

Plus, if FFG thinks of an ability for it later, they can always print a rules reference card like in X-wing or a few new Title cards to breathe new life into the model itself.

If it's 'just another ship' there are many similarly sized imperial ships that would make better choices. The Carrack cruiser was a little smaller but actually had more firepower, the Strike cruiser was about the same size. The raison d'etre of the 418 is the gravity well projectors. To include the ship, but not address that in a game dynamic is just a waste.

The basic strategic purpose of the Interdictor is to allow a fleet commander to choose his battlefield. An easy mechanic to demonstrate this would be a post-deployment Obstacle shuffle: once players have fully deployed their fleets and set Speed counters, but before Round 1, the Inderdictor's owning player can remove up to 3 (half) of the Obstacles and re-place them using the usual restrictions. Since the opposing player knows about the presence of the Interdictor, they'll have to choose between pushing further back into their deployment zone or risking a first turn collision for themselves - it effects the whole start of the game with one simple rule that can be provided by an upgrade card, with the option of a 7th Turn extension also available with a second upgrade.

I like the idea of the Immobilizer affecting the movement of surrounding ships. 

I am Game Mistress for an Edge of the Empire campaign and I wish to have Armada to help visualize capital ship battles in ways that my X-Wing minis cannot. One of the central antagonists is currently flying an Immobilizer cruiser. It would be awesome to get a mini for it. Until then, I will need to use the upcoming Raider-class Corvette.

I've got one of the old Interdictor models from the WotC game and I like the idea of the ship. However, I'm not sure how canon it actually is anymore. There's a couple Clone Wars episodes where not only do ships go into hyperspace within the atmosphere of a planet but they actually crash into a planet while still in hyperspace. So I don't think that the idea of a gravity well pulling ships out of hyperspace is valid. Of course, you could give the ship some sort of technobabble excuse for why it still works. 

Currently, there is no way to flee a battle (and if you could, you'd lose) so it might be better to hold off on the ship until some sort of campaign game is added like in Imperial Assault. 

I love the concept of an Interdictor for Armada, as it hampers the Rebel ability for quick guerrilla strikes even at the fleet level. There's been a number of good suggestions. It's possible that if one is designed, we might see it as a ship that comes with specific objective cards of their own. Alternately, it could change the dynamics around how objectives are chosen, such as forcing "Most Wanted" as an objective on an opposing player, even if the opposing player doesn't have that card as one of their potential objectives.

Gameplay wise, it could nerf the use of navigation commands in that any enemy ship within range 5 of an interdictor can't use the extra click that a Nav command can grant.

I'll be curious to see what the Devs come up with.

I've got one of the old Interdictor models from the WotC game and I like the idea of the ship. However, I'm not sure how canon it actually is anymore. There's a couple Clone Wars episodes where not only do ships go into hyperspace within the atmosphere of a planet but they actually crash into a planet while still in hyperspace. So I don't think that the idea of a gravity well pulling ships out of hyperspace is valid. Of course, you could give the ship some sort of technobabble excuse for why it still works. 

Currently, there is no way to flee a battle (and if you could, you'd lose) so it might be better to hold off on the ship until some sort of campaign game is added like in Imperial Assault. 

100% canon....various Interdictor ships are seen and used in "TarkiN", which is canon.

I'm gonna have to vote against the Extra VP option, unless its part of a larger concept. Interdictors are fascinating ships that bring something unique to the table... if you want a generic VP gimmick, put it on a Lambda, or make it an upgrade card of some kind. Dont cheapen an Interdictor with something boring. I'm also against giving it a negative -points value, as that just complicates things and creates rules issues.

I do enjoy many of the suggestions listed here... controlling deployment &/or movement I think are some of the best. Deployment zones could be restricted or modified, and movement could be toyed with as well, perhaps adjusting the enemy's speed against their will, or modifying the number of "ticks" they can turn at? Theres alot of potential here, you're looking at what is basically the star destroyer equivalent of Space Magneto.

Thematically affecting deployment would make the most sense. Interdictors have absolutely zero effect on non-Hyperspace movement, so affecting turning etc would feel weird....it'd be interesting, but not a all in line with what the ship actually is.

It's an incredibly tricky ship to get right tbh, given it's also very weak at combat. it's gravity well effect would have to be good enough to bring a weak, easy target, but without being OP or totally unthematic and shoehorned in.

Honestly, as much as i deeply hope i'm wrong, i wouldn't be shocked if we dont see one. I reckon we'll get the Vindicator instead.

Either way, seems like a great modeling opportunity. Even if you're still using the base basic ship cards. What's the base ship type, though? I know there's an ISD version, is the smaller on like VSD size?

Vindicator cruiser. Which I hope we get, it's one of my favorite designs.

Either way, seems like a great modeling opportunity. Even if you're still using the base basic ship cards. What's the base ship type, though? I know there's an ISD version, is the smaller on like VSD size?

Agreed my friend. :)

Yes, I would also like there to be more depth to having an Interdictor type ship in the game, aside from providing a source of more VPs. I suppose, it could be as simple or as complex as FFG would like to make it.

Anyway, how about an intermission?

For those of you that may have just joined this discussion here's a visual re-cap on what's being offered - in two flavours:

Interdictor Star Destroyer: (Courtesy of starwars.wikia.com)

InterdictorClassSD-EGTW.jpg

The Interdictor Cruiser / Immobiliser 418 (Courtesy of starwars.wikia.com):

Immobilizer_Interdictor_Cruiser.JPG

Enjoy~! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I like the idea the Interdictor could prevent some attacks from hitting it or other units.

I think they illustrated this well in the Tie Fighter short film where the Immobilizer 418 uses its gravity wells to interrupt Y wing Photon Torpedoes

wjovopw.gif?w=640

That to me is something that could work in the game.

If not that, then maybe being able to prevent enemy squadrons from attacking other ships by instead making them attack the Interdictor.

... where the Immobilizer 418 uses its gravity wells to interrupt Y wing Photon Torpedoes

And, blasphemy! It's proton torpedoes!

batman_slaps_robin_by_lovelyobnoxious-d4

How embarrassing!

I mixed up Proton with Photon torpedo from another franchises.... :wacko:

Time to leave your home on Dagobah

This was a very elegant way of saying I've been living under a rock, well played.

I'm actually familiar with the clip (we on Dagobah get surisingly good reception), I just never noticed the Immobilizer before and so was uncertain if another clip was floating around out there.

Back on track, I agree that its use should exceed that of Victory points. There would need to be a good reason for including it in your fleet. I am still in the camp of altered deployment areas for the enemy fleet to mess with them.