Sign in to follow this  
stormquiver

Interdictor; how would it work

This is the hangup that keeps me from visualizing an interdictor functioning in Armada. Hyperspace assault is the only objective that the Interdictors will affect... and is it really worth it at that point?

FFG may come up with some kind of mechanic for the Interdictors to serve well and thematically, but I can't think of it. Their effect relates entirely to faster-than-light things and do not affect standard realspace battles. You might as well bring in the Vindicators they are based on instead.

So, another couple of thoughts.

Interdictor could restrict the deployment zone of the opponent, and/or the deployment order.  A few examples off the top of my head:

1 - Hyperspace Assault.  Your opponent may only place his hyperspace/objective tokens in his deployment zone, and they cannot move.  Or maybe they are placed normally but just cannot move.

2 - Your opponent's deployment zone is restricted to the center 2' rather than the center 4' of his table edge.

3 - Your opponent must "move on" to the table on turn one somewhere within his deployment zone.

4 - Your opponent must deploy all of his forces before you do.

And so on.  There are a lot of different effects it could have.  Perhaps it would allow you to be Second Player regardless of point totals, but still pick the objective from your opponent's pile?  There are just too many ways to simulate the tactical advantage given by the jammer to rule it out.

Edited by KineticOperator

I doubt Interdictors will be in Armada.

If they are then they will just act as normal ships, no special rules beyond maybe a unique title or upgrade giving them some small ability to control some small portion of the battlefield.

In X-Wing there are 0 ships with inherent special abilities. HWKs get there support abilities from pilots or crew, ditto for Lambdas. In 40k units will do all sorts of funky crap to the game, makes it super confusing, so that even the developers don't know whats going on. I'm fine if FFG stays with simplicity.

What if it gives the persons with a "live" interdictor the option of forcing the match past 6 turns so that they can achieve victory conditions? Like they need another 2 turns for an objective to be ahead or just one more shot on that neb B to destroy the opfor and win via decimation of the enemy?

We can see how critical deployment is in x-wing, it can win or lose games before they even start.

I would love to see an Interdictor that tweeks deployment somehow, as I mentioned before 40K has a cool scouts rule where those units can "redeploy" with a short distance after everything else has deployed.

If an Interdictor exists, it's not going to have inherent special abilities. I'm confident of that. FFG has kept away from that degree of complexity, and where on the card would they write special text? There's no space for it.

What they could do is include a special kind of upgrade slot; ie. Gravity Well Generators, that allow it to field unique upgrades that do give it special abilities. In that way, the base model could be statted as a light destroyer, cheaper and less powerful. However, what gravity well generators would do; as mentioned, is complicated by Hyperspace Assault and Fleet Ambush already existing.

In addition, the Interdictor is the same size as the ISD, which is a huge beast that takes up much of the game. By comparison, the Interdictor is a support ship, so I have doubts that Armada games field fleets large enough to want a ship of that size as a support ship.

Ultimately, I doubt the Interdictor will appear, but if it does, its special mechanics will certainly be represented by upgrade cards, or possibly special Objective cards.

If an Interdictor exists, it's not going to have inherent special abilities. I'm confident of that. FFG has kept away from that degree of complexity, and where on the card would they write special text? There's no space for it.

What they could do is include a special kind of upgrade slot; ie. Gravity Well Generators, that allow it to field unique upgrades that do give it special abilities. In that way, the base model could be statted as a light destroyer, cheaper and less powerful. However, what gravity well generators would do; as mentioned, is complicated by Hyperspace Assault and Fleet Ambush already existing.

In addition, the Interdictor is the same size as the ISD, which is a huge beast that takes up much of the game. By comparison, the Interdictor is a support ship, so I have doubts that Armada games field fleets large enough to want a ship of that size as a support ship.

Ultimately, I doubt the Interdictor will appear, but if it does, its special mechanics will certainly be represented by upgrade cards, or possibly special Objective cards.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Immobilizer_418_cruiser

This is what most of us are thinking about when we say interdicter, and it is only about 600 meters long almost a third of a star destroyer so size issues will not be a problem

Yeah, I realized that and was about to edit. So I can see fitting one of those into a fleet. What I'd really like to see is some unique Objectives similar to Hyperspace Assault that require having an Immobilizer in your fleet, but I don't know how likely that is.

How about its attack in a zone prevents ships in that zone from changing speeds or increasing speed? Imagine placing an "ion" token on each affected ship to mark which ones are impacted.  

Or it has the ability to extend it's shields to ships in one zone?

It's too cool of a design not to use and it needs to be a support-type ship so there must be some kind of role it can play. 

Regardless of special ability, why can't the Interdictor just be what it otherwise is, a light cruiser option for the Empire? Can't afford a Vic or Gladiator but want another capital ship? Grab an Interdictor. It gives the Imperials more options with capital ships, something they oddly have fewer of with the preponderance of ISDs in the Imperial fleet. It would still look good on the table.

Even if it had no effect and was just another option for variety, I'd be happy having it.

Plus, if FFG thinks of an ability for it later, they can always print a rules reference card like in X-wing or a few new Title cards to breathe new life into the model itself.

Edited by R22

IDEA: I'd really like people's feedback on this!

What if an Interdictor came with special objetives and, as a ship, carried a negative point cost making it extremely likely you would have one of your objectives picked? Then, make the ship itself otherwise rather weak besides its objective-modifying ability. This forces the Imperial to protect the ship granting the overall bonus without an otherwise unfair advantage for squeezing in potentially another ship due to the negative point cost.

The objectives would all carry a condition that meaningfully swung things back in the opponent's favor if the Interdictor was destroyed or had to "drop" its gravity well.

As for the Interdictor itself, give it the inherent ability to "drop" the gravity well to gain back 4 shields (1 for each hull zone) and a defense token. The Imperial player can then try to turtle temporarily before getting the gravity well back up or hang on -- but risk losing the ship -and thus the objective advantage- entirely. Rebel players can then try to bluff the Interdictor down briefly or pursue a more complete solution through its destruction. Now both sides have tactical and strategic options without giving the ship itself an active ability.

Give it some decent hull, weak shields, a single blue die for attack all around, and a command value of 2 to keep it mobile. Done.

I'd be really interested to hear what people think about this idea. Feedback please!!

You could always go with an in game effect vs an objective.

The interdictor could always reduce the start speed of each enemy ship by 1, representing the pull from hyperspace.

You could allow the Interdictor player to shift a ship up to 12" any direction as long it remains in the deployment area and faces the same direction it was deployed in. Again representing that pull from hyperspace where it was unexpected.

You could force enemy vessels to enter the table on turn one from the base edge instead of being deployed.

I am sure there are more effects, but I feel they would be better to reflect in game problems vs only a few potential objectives. This would be the route to making it worth being used in game.

What if an Interdictor came with special objetives and, as a ship, carried a negative point cost making it extremely likely you would have one of your objectives picked?

You can't have a ship with a negative point cost, or I will immediately build a fleet of 30 of them.

As far as objective-only ships go, I think something small and insignificant like a Lambda shuttle is much more likely: you can have a Lambda shuttle with terrible stats, 1 anti-squadron die and 0 anti-ship dice and price it a 2-3 points, making a "protect the VIP" objective easy to include in your spread if you wish.

An Interdictor is still going to have reasonable shields, hull and attack dice, even if it's closer to a CR90 or Nebulon-B than a Victory, and would have to cost at least that much.

I much prefer the interpretation that it could be included as a small support ship akin to the Gladiator, and then, if there are special abilities that FFG wants to include, they can be written on unique upgrade cards, or Objectives that require including an Interdictor. As far as those objective go, I like your idea. Protecting a particular ship you bring to the battle would make for a fun and varied Objective.

Honestly, given the spread that FFG included in the base set, and that we know there don't seem to be any objectives included in Wave 2, I'm not expecting component specific objectives any time soon, if at all. If FFG do add new objectives in wave 3 or 4, it will probably be an extra 2 for each type, and there's still enough design space that they don't have to limit it to people who want to play with a particular miniature in their fleet. (An exception might be made for a useless, super cheap shuttle or transport that costs 0-3 points, but I don't see them making objectives that require having a more expensive ship any time soon)

And if we do discount specific objectives, then we have to expect any unique upgrades the Interdictor would come with would be simple enough to be used in any scenario, not limited to specific objectives. While I think some of the suggestions here are reasonable and flavourful ways the Interdictor's capacities could be demonstrated, I think most of them veer more towards the setup-altering or goal-setting power of an objective card, and aren't really appropriate for a single ship ability.

So, if we do see an Interdictor, I'd mostly expect it to be a light support vessel, with the possibility of upgrade cards that have minor effects on the game (reduce the speed of enemy ships at range 1-5, enemy ships at range 1-5 in the forward arc can't spend Evade tokens, reroll enemy black dice [once Rebel ships have come out that roll black dice], etc)

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Immobilizer_418_cruiser

This is what most of us are thinking about when we say interdicter, and it is only about 600 meters long almost a third of a star destroyer so size issues will not be a problem

Ahh, just the thread to lure me out of lurking yet again! :D

Hehe. Yes, this is precisely the opposite of what I did in the 'original Interdictor Star Destroyer thread' - assume that they were talking about the Interdictor Cruiser (Immobiliser 418) instead of the much larger ISD hull-based Interdictor Star Destroyer! Quite an embarassment!

Although I am hoping against hope that they do release the Interdictor in either form, I think this iconic ship will be a shapeways project.

That ^ and house rules and awesome scenarios that involve a reinforcement mechanic for both sides where additional ships/fighters up to a percentage of your fleet are held as reserve units that can be 'called in' depending on set conditions.

MaverickNZ's AWESOME thread "Armada as a RPG experience" has all ready discussed and examined a number of cool scenarios for us to explore as part of a greater 'Armada' campaign - with a system along the lines of Games Workshop's Battlefleet Gothic. : :D

If you look at xwing, they're already out to wave 8 confirmed (but not revealed). Granted they've added a 3rd "faction." But think out to wave 8 with Armada. How many ships will be released for either side? Are there enough capital types not to release some interdiction hull type?

If they do release one, it'd be nice to see it manipulate deployment zones on either side. Maybe instead of restricting the opposing deployment zone, it lets you deploy double the distance onto the board. Or maybe it can open up one of the "short" edges for deployment. Having a unique objective seems like it would be a waste, doesn't your opponent chose you objective from 3 that you present?

yes they do

i was think of that, but it seems a little useless n armada since currently there are a grand total of 0 rebel ships that have missiles (black dice)

True that none have them yet, but in the same game there's the Marauder class for the rebels, which is a missile platform, and also the other kind of Corellian corvette that is a missile ship (I forget the name) so it's possible they'll release it to counteract those kind of ships

Or it's possible they'll loosely interpret the missile blocking ability to something akin to negating a small amount of damage dice in a given area around the ship, such as cancelling a dice altogether or forcing a re-roll