Eagle128

Super Star Destroyer discussion thread

2 hours ago, ISD Avenger said:

Did anyone else see in that recent q&a with FFG? Strongly implied there would be no further ships in the huge category.

I disagree. 

You are talking about the GenCon Q&A right?

They said they would likely not create another miniature as big as the SSD but they are still working on the X-Wing Epic ships. So my guess is that they will not create anything this humongous in size any more but big miniatures the size of X-Wing Epic ships are still on the table. The X-Wing Raider mini is about half as long as the SSD leaving plenty of room for other huge Armada ships. Ships like the Lucrehulk (3km long), the Subjugator (5km long) or the Mandator 4(7,5 km long) all still seem to be very possible future Armada expansions. The SSD is 19 km long so I guess every ship that is smaller than 12 to 15 km is still fair game.

It’s interesting how much they have as possibility for huge, because they are made of two large bases, but they can still make a smaller huge by reducing the cardboard that fits between the two, so essentially we can have huges that even have smaller bases and arcs than the ssd, so they can cost slightly less and possibly be more maneuverable

The SSD is massive; and overhangs the huge base quite a bit (the front of the model is about medium range from the front of the base).

We've seen already that within size classes there's a lot of variety with the size of the models; the GR75s are tiny compared with their base, as are Hammerheads. Whereas Gladiators and MC30s extend out some way. If they did decide to go with a Rebel (Imperial, Separatist or Republic) Huge ship it might not be too bad if it was bigger than the SSD, but not as big as the cardboard (provided it was priced accordingly). I'd like to see the MC85 (which would be ~twice as long as an SSD, but maybe not as wide) - I think that would fit well as a "small" huge ship, and it is just about Galactic Civil War era. However, I understand why they wouldn't want to do that.

6 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

If they do the lukrehulk as huge they could do side by side bases, which would be interesting.

You’d have to do creative  overhanging cardboard to take the cutouts to accommodate the raised base edges on the sides

8 hours ago, Jukey said:

Not sure how they'll put the lucrehulk in the game without a huge base.  Seems fairly essential to clone wars.

The Lucrehulk will almost certainly be a large ship, not huge.  They’ve designed the huge base with long ships in mind.  I don’t see how the Lucrehulk could possibly securely fit on the huge base.  To be long enough to work it would be far too wide.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

You’d have to do creative  overhanging cardboard to take the cutouts to accommodate the raised base edges on the sides

plain card to go on both bases to 'fill' the base to the raised edges, then the marked card base to join the two together.  All held in by the stems, which would have to be redesigned so they can hold a double thick card base...I'd angle it inwards* so they dont get confused with the normal large base stems.

*as opposed to the normal front to back curve.

Edited by slasher956

If we do get a new base for the Lucrehulk then I'd assume that it would be something along the lines of a large square base, similar to that on the large ships of x-wing. That is, assuming that they're willing to produce a new mold for a base that's only going to be used for one ship. Although a base like that could be used in the future if FFG ever decides to make a terrain pack for Armada like they did for Legion with stations, debris etc. but I doubt it as Armada doesn't rely on 3D LOS.

Posted (edited)

I am fairly confident the lucrehulk will just be a large ship. the size of the modle would be if you put a pencil on the tip of an ISD and spun it in a cricle. It creates a circle that could fir 2ish ISDs and for armadas sliding scale that is more than acceptable. while big I dont see it having an issue fitting on a large base.

Edited by xero989

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, xero989 said:

I am fairly confident the lucrehulk will just be a large ship. the size of the modle would be if you put a pencil on the tip of an ISD and spun it in a cricle. It creates a circle that could fir 2ish ISDs and for armadas sliding scale that is more than acceptable. while big I dont see it having an issue fitting on a large base.

2 ISDs in a circle.

1:47

Edited by The Jabbawookie