Eagle128

Super Star Destroyer discussion thread

On 3/19/2015 at 8:07 PM, Thalomen said:

How can that possibly be represented in any kind of serious way in this game? Especially with no known Rebel counterpart. To make it playable it won't, correction: it CAN NOT BE the Executor we saw in ESB.

I love it when my Schadenfreude comes in all caps.

On 3/19/2015 at 10:34 PM, clontroper5 said:

I still doudt there will be "epic armada" I mean epic x-wing really wasn't that much of a success and the game is all ready suppose to take between 1 & 2 hours so an epic armada even with only 5-600 points would still likely take twice that!and a 4 hour game is not a realistic expectation for ffg to realease,

..like Rebellion? (which is an awesome 4-hr game) (Or Twilight Imperium....)(Or Corellian Conflict final battle...)

On 3/26/2015 at 8:16 AM, VanorDM said:

FFG will not put something on the table that looks bad. They proved this when they said they would never put a ISD in X-Wing. Since the SSD has the same scale issues as ISD's, my money is on never seeing one here either.

How much money was that?

On 8/14/2016 at 1:50 PM, Beatty said:

Sorry but have to post this. This is why I think the Executor will never make it to Armada. Watch this video and tell me how it would work?

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=b13a9_zA9gc

Oh, my friend, only now at the end do you understand...

On 12/20/2016 at 5:06 PM, D503 said:

I don't think we will see a SSD anytime soon, but I think it likely we will see the New Order star destroyer during the wave 8 hype.

No, no First Order here.

On 9/20/2017 at 2:34 PM, ISD Avenger said:

If the SSD can't work without looking insane, I favour FFG designing a new XL base ship for the imperials, like they did with the raider. Some new fresh designs might actually be a good thing.

On 9/21/2017 at 9:49 AM, kmanweiss said:

..., FFG may never intend to include the super large ships.  I personally have no desire for an SSD.  It would serve no real purpose.  They'd likely stick some valuable cards behind it to force sales.  It wouldn't be used for tournaments.  It would need special rules to play the **** thing.  It would be a casual only piece that wouldn't really benefit the game.

Epic ships were not a great thing for X-Wing, and I doubt they would be for Armada.

On 9/21/2017 at 5:18 PM, AegisGrimm said:

Arguing for the SSD in Armada always seems (to me) as goofy as if there were huge threads adamantly demanding an official Nebulon-B and Arquittens for X-Wing.

On 11/12/2017 at 11:39 PM, slasher956 said:

As said... I think the SSD will be a non slip play mat!

On 11/14/2017 at 8:49 AM, kmanweiss said:

The SSD creates a lot of problems, and this picture does a good job of showing them.

[...]

All in all, I just don't see how they can actually stick an SSD into this game that will look decent and be playable.  I know FFG would love to do it, but I would be surprised if we ever saw anything official.

2f64lu2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

I love it when my Schadenfreude comes in all caps.

2f64lu2.jpg

What are you talking about? You partially quote me from something around 3 years ago? What's the point?

4 minutes ago, Thalomen said:

What are you talking about? You partially quote me from something around 3 years ago? What's the point?

While I may have tweaked others for effect, I think that yours is accurately represented, given the explicitness of the statement. 

The point: Schadenfreude is a dish best served ice cold.

Or, like this:

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

1 minute ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

While I may have tweaked others for effect, I think that yours is accurately represented, given the explicitness of the statement. 

The point: Schadenfreude is a dish best served ice cold.

Or, like this:

Geese dude. We don't even have the article on the ship yet. How empty is your life if you get schadenfreude from a difference of opinion over toys? How pathetic is it that you spent time putting that massive post together?

Grow up.

1 minute ago, Thalomen said:

Geese dude. We don't even have the article on the ship yet. How empty is your life if you get schadenfreude from a difference of opinion over toys? How pathetic is it that you spent time putting that massive post together?

Grow up.

Mmm, this just keeps getting better. You've gone straight from salt to lye without even stopping at pickling vinegar. ?

Well, unfortunately the new SSD model is a nonissue for me, as regardless of what it would add to gameplay, I would rather buy 200 dollars worth of normal Armada ships, especially as I have to buy both sides to ever see a game.

Plus, it's pretty annoying as the initial reveal has clogged the forums with dozens of SSD threads.

Just now, Thalomen said:

<sigh> And once again I say: grow up.

You're the one who seems to be upset.  My apologies, I did not know that I was touching a really sore spot. I figured that since this was just about a difference of opinions over toys you would take the friendly ribbing as intended.

2 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

You're the one who seems to be upset.  My apologies, I did not know that I was touching a really sore spot. I figured that since this was just about a difference of opinions over toys you would take the friendly ribbing as intended.

I'm not upset, I was surprised and mystified by what seemed like a petty attack post. We don't know each other, so I don't know your sense of humor. And of course just text lacks inflection, tone, etc.  If you intended it as a friendly ribbing, that's cool, but that's not how it came off. Perhaps next time, just lead off with saying it's a "friendly ribbing" so that those who don't know you won't get taken off guard.

I'm still unsure what to say about the price point.

I mean, I've heard people thinking $200 would be a crazy high price point for the new version of Adeptus Titanicus from GW (thus making it the most expensive boardgame they've ever released).  And that is an entire game with all the rules material and dice, tons of cardboard control panels and player cards, a handful of plastic buildings, 2 titans and 6 Knights.  And those 2 titans when built are each nearly the height and width of an Imperial Star Destroyer stood on end.

I was thinking a SSD released like this would be 120, or maybe 150 at absolute most.

Edited by AegisGrimm

45 minutes ago, AegisGrimm said:

Well, unfortunately the new SSD model is a nonissue for me, as regardless of what it would add to gameplay, I would rather buy 200 dollars worth of normal Armada ships, especially as I have to buy both sides to ever see a game.

Plus, it's pretty annoying as the initial reveal has clogged the forums with dozens of SSD threads.

This happens with every release I have been a part of. 

34 minutes ago, AegisGrimm said:

I'm still unsure what to say about the price point.

I mean, I've heard people thinking $200 would be a crazy high price point for the new version of Adeptus Titanicus from GW (thus making it the most expensive boardgame they've ever released).  And that is an entire game with all the rules material and dice, tons of cardboard control panels and player cards, a handful of plastic buildings, 2 titans and 6 Knights.  And those 2 titans when built are each nearly the height and width of an Imperial Star Destroyer stood on end.

I was thinking a SSD released like this would be 120, or maybe 150 at absolute most.

They sell knights that are as tall as an ISD model is long for $150. They sell a SLIGHT bigger model for $170. Those are models you need multiples of so you are spending $500ish just to play the game. 

Here we have a ship that could be your entire fleet minus squadrons for just $200 and I will bet you, you will find discounts

28 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

They sell knights that are as tall as an ISD model is long for $150. They sell a SLIGHT bigger model for $170. Those are models you need multiples of so you are spending $500ish just to play the game. 

Here we have a ship that could be your entire fleet minus squadrons for just $200 and I will bet you, you will find discounts

I know miniature market usually runs their products for around $10 to $15 dollars cheaper than FFG retail. Maybe that’ll be scaled up to $20 - $25 for this.

8 hours ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

You vile monster you. You big ole meanie. Did you seriously really make an obviously perfectly clear joke without first prefacing it with a warning label. How heartless. How cruel. How despicable. Don't you realize that "friendly ribbing" has no place in a forum dedicated to a game. No place at all sir. Dis iz srs bzns.