Eagle128

Super Star Destroyer discussion thread

7 hours ago, xanderf said:

At the very least, there will definitely be something considerably bigger and more powerful than an ISD in the game.  For absolute, 100%, certainty.  And FFG has been planning that ever since 2014 when details of the game were publicly announced and long before we knew anything about the 'sequel trilogy' movies.

The game has had shield dials that go up to '6' this entire time, after all.  And since the current Star Destroyers we have top out at 2, 3, and 4 respectively - you have to wonder what is going to call for a bunch of '6's.  It's a pretty convincing argument for a Super Star Destroyer...especially given it would obviously require two bases for its sheer size, and so like the way X-Wing handled two bases with different stats for each side - you'd assume the same applies, here.

I figure the same.

That said, I think it's a little strange that they've had those 0-6 shield dials all along. Why not just give us 0-3 and 0-4 dials going along with appropriate bases? They could always have given us 0-6 when the time came.

Perhaps just to signal their intent, but I don't know.

10 hours ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

Why not just give us 0-3 and 0-4 dials going along with appropriate bases? They could always have given us 0-6 when the time came.

Liberty has 5 in the front arc.

Lets say they do release a SSD, and the point cost is 300. After a commander, a few upgrades, and fighter screen you are at the limit. 

What if there was a mechanism for huge ships to get multiple activations during a round? That could help convey the awesome firepower that a SSD would have, and would help with the activation discrepancy you would see against a full enemy fleet. 

It might make the SSD lonely in regular games, but would be a centerpiece for campaign fleets. 

Could something like that work? 

On 8/23/2017 at 1:44 AM, slasher956 said:

It need to get touching so its not guaranteed ... plus its got to be slightly OP to get the rebel scum to buy the glory that is our SSD! :P 

edit - plus it helps get rid of the assumtion that an Awing took out a whole SSD... it just took out the bridge meaning it was out of control for a period of time, during which it crashed into the DS2

Lost stars explains how it went down

14 hours ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

Lets say they do release a SSD, and the point cost is 300. After a commander, a few upgrades, and fighter screen you are at the limit. 

What if there was a mechanism for huge ships to get multiple activations during a round? That could help convey the awesome firepower that a SSD would have, and would help with the activation discrepancy you would see against a full enemy fleet. 

It might make the SSD lonely in regular games, but would be a centerpiece for campaign fleets. 

Well i get the inpression that folks like playing the CC so i woukd hope so. I would enjoy that, i dont see why people are so bent out of shape about cost and size. I think that how ever it gets intriduced and in whatever size, people will still want it and play with it.  If they wrap it up with its own campain that would be awesome!

On 23/12/2017 at 7:30 AM, Tirion said:

Lost stars explains how it went down

Actually Aftermath: Empire's End explains better how the SSD Ravager went down. Lost Stars, while having a Jakku scene near the end, isn't really focused on the SSD event, the way Empire's End's finale was.

1 hour ago, Ironlord said:

Actually Aftermath: Empire's End explains better how the SSD Ravager went down. Lost Stars, while having a Jakku scene near the end, isn't really focused on the SSD event, the way Empire's End's finale was.

Was referring to the executor

The SSD measures in at 19km long. A normal ISD at 1.6km

I know the ships arent to scale, but such a differance in size cannot be ignored. We'd be more likely to see the new ships from Episode 8 that both come in around 3km long. Plus thats a ship for each for both sides. The SSD would just outclass EVERYTHING! i'd rather see the SSD as a birds eye view on a mat, fighting above it.

On 12/22/2017 at 6:22 PM, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

What does it matter if it will work. Put a few awesome upgrades in it, and a make it a nice model, and the only interesting question is: will something like that sell?

(Answer: yes; yes it will.)

AND, since this is the real SSD thread, rather than that thread that @martok2112 went and dug up, I present you with the proper way to do this:

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

What does it matter if it will work. Put a few awesome upgrades in it, and a make it a nice model, and the only interesting question is: will something like that sell?

(Answer: yes; yes it will.)

AND, since this is the real SSD thread, rather than that thread that @martok2112 went and dug up, I present you with the proper way to do this:

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

I was talking more about the multi-activation part than the SSD as a whole. 

Up to this point we haven’t seen any ship have more than one activation. Since a huge ship could be so potentially expensive point wise for standard games that it would be the only ship on the table, would giving it extra activations help counter high activation lists it might see action against? 

Edited by GrandAdmiralCrunch

7 hours ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

I was talking more about the multi-activation part than the SSD as a whole. 

Up to this point we haven’t seen any ship have more than one activation. Since a huge ship could be so potentially expensive point wise for standard games that it would be the only ship on the table, would giving it extra activations help counter high activation lists it might see action against? 

15.gif

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

3 minutes ago, Lord Tareq said:

Once they give the SSD multiple activation parts, there really is no reason for them not to incorporate the Death Star using the same principle! I like it!

Na, both Death Stars already have mats, they just need custom objectives, and stat cards like the Armed Station. Except can just destroy one enemy ship, except for their flagship, every even round. 

29 minutes ago, cynanbloodbane said:

Na, both Death Stars already have mats, they just need custom objectives, and stat cards like the Armed Station. Except can just destroy one enemy ship, except for their flagship, every even round. 

Perhaps, but the rebels need something to balance the scenario, otherwise the Imperial player can just sit there, let the DS blow up ships and win every time.

7 hours ago, idiewell said:

Perhaps, but the rebels need something to balance the scenario, otherwise the Imperial player can just sit there, let the DS blow up ships and win every time.

They already do. The Death Star has a billion shields, a trillion hull points, and a unique damage deck to reflect how trivial "Critical" hits are to a Battlestar on the size of a small moon.
However, the required "Death Star" title includes the following: "If Luke Skywalker scores a critical hit against the Death Star, he may search the damage deck and select the card that will be played face up."

Naturally, there is a single "Death Star Explodes" damage card.

5 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

Welcome back from the dead SSD thread, you're on your way to becoming an great old god at this point. 

Indeed. Started in 2015 and those first posters aren't even around anymore. It's like we are playing in a house after the owners died.

Just now, Drasnighta said:

@Eagle128 will be gone TWO YEARS in April...

I know. That's the creepy part. 

Sometimes I go way back to the oldest posts and read them to see what people used to think was "good" back in the early days. And I inevitably wonder what happened to all of those people.