Eagle128

Super Star Destroyer discussion thread

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

I find your post utterly offensive and in shockingly poor taste.

36" or bust!

36" would, of course, be better. However, I am attempting to be inclusive in order to create a reasonable center, in which reasonable people can agree and be happy and joyful.

Also, to create a larger coalition so that we can mercilessly defeat the 18" people, whose spinelessness on standards can only be compared with Gamorrean slime pets, and the extremist traitors who refuse any inclusion of the SSD whatsoever.

Here is your SSD. Even this model is undersized by about 3x scale. An SSD could not be made for Armada and have it done justice. What would it's stats be? 30 hull, 10 black, 10 red, and 10 blue out each arc?

Edited by Varyag
Needed to delete image.

6 hours ago, Varyag said:

Here is your SSD. Even this model is undersized by about 3x scale. An SSD could not be made for Armada and have it done justice. What would it's stats be? 30 hull, 10 black, 10 red, and 10 blue out each arc?

10221box1copy.jpg

That has been brought up already once or twice. The logic of which is disputed by the already existing super-mega blockade runners that exist in the game, that are both over scaled & way over gunned by lore standards.

Sliding scale exists already in this game. And ivemade my peace with it already. So bring on the SSD & the Eclipse!

4 hours ago, ISD Avenger said:

That has been brought up already once or twice. The logic of which is disputed by the already existing super-mega blockade runners that exist in the game, that are both over scaled & way over gunned by lore standards.

Sliding scale exists already in this game. And ivemade my peace with it already. So bring on the SSD & the Eclipse!

I agree. The only other option is a Cinematic Play one similar to X-wing where this two foot plus beast sets up against one of the short edges and runs out of room real quick.

Even the X- wing CR-90 scenarios eventually called for an 8 foot long play surface just to finish the campaign. That was the only time I felt like we had the space to run a proper game with it. 

Folks need to realize that a sliding scale means these things can see regular play. Other than that, you’re going to end up with something that still doesn’t scale right that can’t be used outside the home. It’ll be cool at first, until you realize in the long run it’ll just be a shelf hog you never get to use ad much as you want.

Unless they pull another Raider out of their hat and design something themselves that falls between the SSD and ISDs. I wouldn’t hate that. I like the look and role of the Raider. FFG does good design in the Star Wars universe 

Edited by Flavorabledeez

20 minutes ago, Lord Tareq said:

Give us our SSD!! It's been years and all we got was lame flotilla's and repainted ISD's!! (and some other ships too)

Yeah there has been anything released! In a very long time.... Almost as long as it takes to build a to size SSD...... Wait! To hope? To dream? Will they? Could they? Naw it'll probably be to some kind of logarithmic scale.

16 hours ago, Flavorabledeez said:

I agree. The only other option is a Cinematic Play one similar to X-wing where this two foot plus beast sets up against one of the short edges and runs out of room real quick.

Even the X- wing CR-90 scenarios eventually called for an 8 foot long play surface just to finish the campaign. That was the only time I felt like we had the space to run a proper game with it. 

Folks need to realize that a sliding scale means these things can see regular play. Other than that, you’re going to end up with something that still doesn’t scale right that can’t be used outside the home. It’ll be cool at first, until you realize in the long run it’ll just be a shelf hog you never get to use ad much as you want.

The thing that prohibits 'Regular Play' options for the ship isn't its size, per se.  Sliding scale is a thing, and works, and yes at 3' model (base much smaller, of course) it's still WAYYY undersized...but it'd look astonishing and be worth (IMHO) doing given it would look close-ish to right...etc...

The problem is that nobody wants to play a Super Star Destroyer that is even 400 pts on its own.  It wouldn't feel as powerful as the ship deserves.  And if you've got a ship that is, on its own, 500 pts...

Well, you need some kind of 'epic play' mode to make that work...

4 hours ago, xanderf said:

The thing that prohibits 'Regular Play' options for the ship isn't its size, per se.  Sliding scale is a thing, and works, and yes at 3' model (base much smaller, of course) it's still WAYYY undersized...but it'd look astonishing and be worth (IMHO) doing given it would look close-ish to right...etc...

The problem is that nobody wants to play a Super Star Destroyer that is even 400 pts on its own.  It wouldn't feel as powerful as the ship deserves.  And if you've got a ship that is, on its own, 500 pts...

Well, you need some kind of 'epic play' mode to make that work...

What if they did two versions of the thing? One for a form of epic play, and another - much less significant - for regular play.

Some people play a homebrew version of the game using 800pts.

As such, they could just give us an "epic" points cost of about 800 which would allow for larger ships like the SSD and others of similar size.

That being said.., if an SSD IS introduced to the game it would probably be 200+ points before any upgrades are applied IMO.

Edited by Indy_com
words.

8 minutes ago, Flavorabledeez said:

I’d still rather see FFG just make something in between ISDs and SSDs of their own design. 

Not much room for complaints on that one

Apart from the complaint that it’s larger than an ISD and isn’t an SSD.

Or isn’t an SSD.

Or doesn’t have Piett on the SSD.

There will be complaints.

People STILL complain that the Raider isn’t a Lancer, after all.

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Apart from the complaint that it’s larger than an ISD and isn’t an SSD.

Or isn’t an SSD.

Or doesn’t have Piett on the SSD.

There will be complaints.

People STILL complain that the Raider isn’t a Lancer, after all.

oh those insufferable complainers. when do they learn that they should uniformly be happy with what is given to them, and not mouth back, individually. its so ungrateful.

9 minutes ago, NebulonB said:

oh those insufferable complainers. when do they learn that they should uniformly be happy with what is given to them, and not mouth back, individually. its so ungrateful.

There isn’t anything inherently wrong with complaining.

just pointed out there would be some.

for me, I’m more concerned about how it world work rules wise.

i want something more than just a bigger ISD, for example

5 hours ago, Mikael Hasselstein said:

But what I would like a roll call of is those who are dead certain that there won't be an SSD.

At the very least, there will definitely be something considerably bigger and more powerful than an ISD in the game.  For absolute, 100%, certainty.  And FFG has been planning that ever since 2014 when details of the game were publicly announced and long before we knew anything about the 'sequel trilogy' movies.

The game has had shield dials that go up to '6' this entire time, after all.  And since the current Star Destroyers we have top out at 2, 3, and 4 respectively - you have to wonder what is going to call for a bunch of '6's.  It's a pretty convincing argument for a Super Star Destroyer...especially given it would obviously require two bases for its sheer size, and so like the way X-Wing handled two bases with different stats for each side - you'd assume the same applies, here.