Eagle128

Super Star Destroyer discussion thread

Wookiepedia could very well be wrong but they don't usually name ships by class unless a canon source has verified it as such. 

Sometimes they do admit to making assumptions:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Annihilator_(Super_Star_Destroyer)

That said, Complete Locations appeared to be enough for them, after that - if they do change it, it probably won't be without a lot of argument.

99mm from nose-tip to end of engine nozzel

The Rear fins sweep back a further 8mm to that.

Measurements are +/- 1mm due to the fact this model has been pulled apart and put back together a few times, and the rear fin set might not be perfectly flush anymore.

Hunh! That was not the number I was expecting. The AF2 and the Raider each throw the curve off by the miniature being too big, or the source number being too small.

Yeah, even grabbing my second model, I'm looking at a good 106-107mm for total length.

The 99mm length is directly measurable, the total length involved a few 90-degree lines to measure the two off-center points...  But measured multiple times, that's the answer.

I cannot give you an easy 3rd Data point, as the 3rd Frigate is currently in more pieces than it *should* be able to be in.

Edited by Drasnighta

If the annihilator was already built and servicable whilst the Executor was still under construction, why is it called the Executor?

You name the ship class after the first ship of the class.

So is the anihilator a slightly older variant, and Executor a newer evolutionary and not revolutionary design

If the annihilator was already built and servicable whilst the Executor was still under construction, why is it called the Executor?

So is the anihilator a slightly older variant, and Executor a newer evolutionary and not revolutionary design

That was my theory. It's possible though that, despite being the lead ship of the line, the Executor was delayed by someone wanting to make sure all its tech was of the newest and best quality, so another in the line, without the bells & whistles, actually finished construction first.

I'd prefer Older SSD Class though - like the recently mentioned (Rogue One: Mission Files) Mandator.

If there is an Executor class that is finished before the Executor I think that will be too much heresy for me.

The comics aren't considered Canon.

The new marvel ones are

The comics are semi-Canon, not actual Canon. Same as they were pre-Disney. Thus, aren't Canon as a book, tv series, or movie can overwrite them at whim.

Except thats...  Not the way it was said it was going to be, by Disney, LFL or the Story Group..?  (To my knowledge, anyawy)

All Publications after the April 2014 date were Canon as Content.  They may specify that something is Non-Canon in storyline, and so far, they have only done that for the Video Games...  (For example, the contents of Star Wars BattleField is Canon, the story presented by playing the game, is not...)

The New Marvel Comics, after the April 2014 date, are, at least, intended to be as Canon as anything else....

I don't think we will see a SSD anytime soon, but I think it likely we will see the New Order star destroyer during the wave 8 hype.

Seeing how closely the first movie follows episode 4, I think these things are certain:

1. Rey loosing a limb
  2. Luke telling Rey she's his father
  3. A new type of SSD

That is how we (the US) do it, but not sure that all other countries do it this way. I am guessing that others do not, so maybe the Empire does not. I also believe that some name it after the first ship started not the first ship completed.

I don't think we will see a SSD anytime soon, but I think it likely we will see the New Order star destroyer during the wave 8 hype.

Seeing how closely the first movie follows episode 4, I think these things are certain:

1. Rey loosing a limb
  2. Luke telling Rey she's his father
  3. A new type of SSD

Rey being Luke's father would be a helluva twist.

So without rereading all 62 previous pages lol...

does anyone know how off-scale the other ships are? IE, the CR90 is clearly not to scale with the ISD...which one is off?

Armada doesn't have a single linear scale like XWM (or two linear scales if you count the Epic ships).

The ships up through Wave 2 followed a logarithmic curve fairly nicely, but I haven't taken measurements of all the new stuff and gone through the math again.

That is how we (the US) do it, but not sure that all other countries do it this way. I am guessing that others do not, so maybe the Empire does not. I also believe that some name it after the first ship started not the first ship completed.

I'm in the Australian Navy. Thats how it is done almost universally. Use wiki or Janes to back that up

The Executor though is purposefully built to be the flagship of the entire Imperial Fleet or at least whoever is basically the Emperor's right hand man is. So I would imagine you could make the argument that the Annihilator could be an Executor Class SSD but a prototype that was finished quickly to compensate for the loss of the Death Star. The Executor itself would take longer as deign flaws from the Annihilator would be worked out and systems are optimized. Darth Vader no doubt would want to make modifications to boost the ship's abilities.  

Yeah, even grabbing my second model, I'm looking at a good 106-107mm for total length.

The 99mm length is directly measurable, the total length involved a few 90-degree lines to measure the two off-center points...  But measured multiple times, that's the answer.

I cannot give you an easy 3rd Data point, as the 3rd Frigate is currently in more pieces than it *should* be able to be in.

99mm from nose-tip to end of engine nozzel

The Rear fins sweep back a further 8mm to that.

Measurements are +/- 1mm due to the fact this model has been pulled apart and put back together a few times, and the rear fin set might not be perfectly flush anymore.

Hunh! That was not the number I was expecting. The AF2 and the Raider each throw the curve off by the miniature being too big, or the source number being too small.

I have argued elsewhere that the AFII is outside of the standard scale for this game. It is far to large for  everything else

So, here's what my math came up with.

x = ((y/2) * sqrt(y) / 9.96) / y * 100;

where y is length of ship in meters and x is length of miniature in mm.

it fits with 8 of the miniatures that FFG has released within a tolerance of 5 mm. I think that this is a solid start, but I think that I'm going to try again later with all three dimensions instead. One major discrepency is the fact that the GSD and the NebB are the same length in miniature form, whereas the GSD is supposed to be 500m and the Neb-B is supposed to be 300m.

However, if you were to apply this same math to the SSD, the miniature should be over 2 feet long.