Eagle128

Super Star Destroyer discussion thread

yeah all of you that said it would look stupid if it was that "small".... I present exhibit A

if you followed this fellows fine post you will notice he had to modify the SSD because it looked "stupid when it was that small" this is the final product of that work and it looks good but is still grossly out of scale...

Oh, I approve of the way you did the cards. Though 6 defense tokens means the thing will take FOREVER to whittle away. This thing also screams to be Vader's flagship AND have XI7 Turbolasers. Though. . . Enhanced Armaments makes this think just silly. Here, have 4 MC80 Assault Cruiser arcs for 10 points! 

Oh, I approve of the way you did the cards. Though 6 defense tokens means the thing will take FOREVER to whittle away. This thing also screams to be Vader's flagship AND have XI7 Turbolasers. Though. . . Enhanced Armaments makes this think just silly. Here, have 4 MC80 Assault Cruiser arcs for 10 points!

ban Modifications for it?

yeah all of you that said it would look stupid if it was that "small".... I present exhibit A

if you followed this fellows fine post you will notice he had to modify the SSD because it looked "stupid when it was that small" this is the final product of that work and it looks good but is still grossly out of scale...

I didn't say it looked stupid, I just commented that the scale opposition argument that the small Bridge on the in-scale SSD breaks the impression that the SSD is a huge ship is a valid argument...   :)

They were right, but a little modelling time and I think the result is acceptable. 

That SSD is what? 20"?

It is 25" long.  Mel did a great job in figuring out what size would look impressive, but not be so huge as to be unusable.  Though my play test group will be using an EPIC map of 6' x 4' for the games using the INEXORABLE.   :)

I'm bringing a single A-Wing squadron to this fight... going for the 5-5 double-knock-out tie. ;)

ROFL!!!  Just ran a Regional Championship on 5/28/2016, so this rings true! 

Edited by LTJGBeam

Thanks, the cards are the result of a lot of theory-crafting and a little experimentation.  Just first drafts though.  A few players think the 300/320 cost is too high and others too low.  Guess that means we will need to do a lot of play testing...

Looking forward to seeing what tactics my players come up with for both sides with this on the table.

Thanks, the cards are the result of a lot of theory-crafting and a little experimentation.  Just first drafts though.  A few players think the 300/320 cost is too high and others too low.  Guess that means we will need to do a lot of play testing...

Looking forward to seeing what tactics my players come up with for both sides with this on the table.

28 hull is a lot! It will be near impossible to take down. . . 

I didn't say it looked stupid, I just commented that the scale opposition argument that the small Bridge on the in-scale SSD breaks the impression that the SSD is a huge ship is a valid argument...   :)

They were right, but a little modelling time and I think the result is acceptable. 

I know l YOU didn't say it was stupid. That was just the words that were used by tirion that I was specifically replying to

This weekend I took my SSD which I got from Mel's Miniatures to Kublacon to show it off and everyone who saw it really liked it and now my friends and I have to start working on an Armada game with the SSD as the main star which I'm planning on running at another local Convention called Pacificon in Sept.

Michael

The Double-Long base is interesting...

......But she's got a Fat ass when you try to even yaw a single Click.........

Instead of having the interlocking sections of the base be at the fore, have them at the middle?

The problem with the rebel star defender would be cost unless it was made hollow, I think would even higher in price than the Executor. So maybe a different ship could used hopefully one not as ugly as the Star Defender.

If you like the design more power to you but I hate it myself.  On a side note I am also waiting on Mel's Blows my mind Executor and I will play with her until the wheels fall off.

may the empire be with you.

SSD as an epic ship in Armada?

And Rebels will get ... what?

Mon calamari Star Defender.

295559800_93f169e98f.jpg

looking at photos of ships the star defender is 1 1/2 or more times bigger then the SSD and Home one is about the same size as the SSD and 5 times bigger them a MC 80, I tried to post them but FFG format blocks them. So maybe a real sized home one. :)

I wouldn't put to much value in the scale of models in the picture. These are Wizzard of the Coast SW Starship miniatures game. Scale wasn't as much of a priority. As for Home One that was the size of an ISD. The Star Defender would be the Viscount which was only 3 km long in comparison to the 19km of the Executor. Still the Star Defender was twice as long as an ISD.

Executor Class 19.0 km long

Viscount Class 3.0 km long

Imperial Class 1.6 km long

source wookiepedia

Edited by Marinealver

1. The SSD spent most of its 32 year existence at 13,000m or less, it was recently retconed (within the las decade or so ) to 19,000m Home onechas shrunk from its original official length of 3,200m down to 1,200m, also in the last decade or so. As far as I am concerned, the original "official lengths" would be far mor adaptable to Armada as Epic scale. Truly a shame they felt the need to follow new Canon for Home One.

The Double-Long base is interesting...

......But she's got a Fat ass when you try to even yaw a single Click.........

Instead of having the interlocking sections of the base be at the fore, have them at the middle?

Exactly.  I am planning on the ship being maneuvered from the notch on the rear base (which is at the middle of the ship).  This causes her to "pivot" rather than "swing" when she makes a maneuvers, just like the EPIC Ships in X-Wing.  Also we will be using an ARMADA Epic Map of 6' x 4'.  This is a similar concept to the X-Wing EPIC Map. 

Edited by LTJGBeam

I know l YOU didn't say it was stupid. That was just the words that were used by tirion that I was specifically replying to

I was specifically talking about peoples posts like 6 months ago.

Ahh..  I misread, I thought people thought I said it looked stupid.  Sorry for the misread.

Edited by LTJGBeam

I like the Double base idea, but there should be this

"Bridge - Before attacking any arc on the aft section, the attacker can declare he is targeting the bridge.  Treat this attack as obstructed"

the rear support of the ship would have its own shield dial as part of the support.

Maybe the possibility of its own damage deck as well?

3 redirects, advanced projectors, 28 hull and arcs capable of crippling most ships.

There is zero point going near it. I will happily wait for it to attempt to turn and go of the board.

I am planning on the ship being maneuvered from the notch on the rear base (which is at the middle of the ship).  This causes her to "pivot" rather than "swing" when she makes a maneuvers, just like the EPIC Ships in X-Wing.  Also we will be using an ARMADA Epic Map of 6' x 4'.  This is a similar concept to the X-Wing EPIC Map.

She costs 300/320 depending on which version is taken.  That's without upgrades.  So she is a sizable chunk of  even a 600 - 800 point fleet. And most of a 400 point fleet, if you wanted to play a normal game including her.  So with Speed 2 vs. multiple ships and 5/4/3 shields, she may be like a cougar or bear being attacked by wolves...

Play testing will reveal what her strengths and weaknesses are.  The Draft Cards will probably be changed to provide a balanced ship.