Eagle128

Super Star Destroyer discussion thread

This is a game where a cr90 has more firepower than the side arc of an isd...so your argument is invalid.
Well then I feel glad I'm knowing we will never see the Executor, was feeling bad before but you showed I shouldn't give two $&@#s about that.

Seriously, you want to ignore my point, go for it. I am explaining why you won't see the Executor, but ignore it and keep dreaming kid. It's good to have hope, even if it is a stupid one.

Good day.

And this is why this is my favorite thread.

Thanks for making my day.

Edited by What

A ship can be hit by both a side arc and a front arc at the same time though.

Not quite at the same time. It can also represent rear turrets/cannons.

I guess the point that is being missed again is that if there is a sliding scale there would be slight changes to the size and power, not huge differences. The ISD has 8 dice at medium range, now by canon the SSD would use 264 dice at medium range. Even bringing the down to 12 dice, which could one shot most ships in the game, would not be considered a "sliding scale" at all. It would be something completely different. Now for size again sliding scale would be a change of size by maybe 25% not the 80% plus to even make the thing playable. The Executor would be as long as the table if it were to canon, the 6' length not the 3', but bringing it down to 24" is still way way too big to be playable. (Its front fire arc would reach the other end of the table with its rear touching the rear of your deployment area.)

What you guys are suggesting is making it far smaller and far less powerful which is not a "sliding scale" in reality but just a made up size and power just to have it fit in the game. Yes the CR90 is bigger than it should be, but it is still less than double its original size, the SSD would be the most out of scale ship in the game by a long long ways.

This is a game where a cr90 has more firepower than the side arc of an isd...so your argument is invalid.

Less firepower by 1 die. Remember that the Front arc is the combination of the side arcs usually and the side arcs are individual zones that cant get assistance.

Some ships like the Assault Frigate and the MC80 Command cant get all of their weapons to bear on the front which is why they have weaker shots there.

You know what I meant: TRC double arc...

So the 2 front turrets of the CR90 shooting towards the front and the rear turret shoots from the side.

One can also consider how many shots are being shot. It might represent more than just a single cycle.

A ship can be hit by both a side arc and a front arc at the same time though.

Not quite at the same time. It can also represent rear turrets/cannons.

I guess the point that is being missed again is that if there is a sliding scale there would be slight changes to the size and power, not huge differences. The ISD has 8 dice at medium range, now by canon the SSD would use 264 dice at medium range. Even bringing the down to 12 dice, which could one shot most ships in the game, would not be considered a "sliding scale" at all. It would be something completely different. Now for size again sliding scale would be a change of size by maybe 25% not the 80% plus to even make the thing playable. The Executor would be as long as the table if it were to canon, the 6' length not the 3', but bringing it down to 24" is still way way too big to be playable. (Its front fire arc would reach the other end of the table with its rear touching the rear of your deployment area.)

What you guys are suggesting is making it far smaller and far less powerful which is not a "sliding scale" in reality but just a made up size and power just to have it fit in the game. Yes the CR90 is bigger than it should be, but it is still less than double its original size, the SSD would be the most out of scale ship in the game by a long long ways.

Less firepower by 1 die. Remember that the Front arc is the combination of the side arcs usually and the side arcs are individual zones that cant get assistance.

Some ships like the Assault Frigate and the MC80 Command cant get all of their weapons to bear on the front which is why they have weaker shots there.

You know what I meant: TRC double arc...

So the 2 front turrets of the CR90 shooting towards the front and the rear turret shoots from the side.

One can also consider how many shots are being shot. It might represent more than just a single cycle.

The CR90 has 2 double turbos, quite small ones by the look of it. It has 4 laser cannons with sh*tty fire arcs as anti-squadron defense.

This ship gets 2 red + 1 blue and 1 red + 1 blue, and a blue AAA dice.

Add a TRC and this baby can pump out an unbelievable amount of damage. 

Compare that to the mile-long powerhouse that's an ISD, with turbolaser batteries the size of houses and countless AAA emplacements.

Yeah, talk about scale :)

Well then I feel glad I'm knowing we will never see the Executor, was feeling bad before but you showed I shouldn't give two $&@#s about that.

Seriously, you want to ignore my point, go for it. I am explaining why you won't see the Executor, but ignore it and keep dreaming kid. It's good to have hope, even if it is a stupid one.

Good day.

And this is why this is my favorite thread.

Thanks for making my day.

So when the SSD arriving in Vassal?

*edit* Unless it's already in Vassal and I have just not yet discovered it!

It's in my sandbox, yes. But final deployment has been delayed while I worked on the campaign system and some other stuff.

I also need to be Mel for a top-down render. Or even better, if someone with the SSD model (painted) could send me a top-down pic?

Good day.

Come on, friends, let's stay civil.

Regarding the 'sliding scale', I think it helps to grant that this is not just about the scale of models, but also the scale of capabilities. Star Wars uses scale as a dramatic trope, but at the same time it's about the power of a single special individual being about to overcome the overwhelming odds - David vs. Goliath.

By all means fathom that the SSD is all that the greatest (canon?) sources have said about its tremendous might, and then think of the scale and mechanics of the game allowing for the Rebel terrorists heroes to overcome that tremendous might.

Take this game with the same suspension of disbelief that you do the stories.

Now, regarding the model of the SSD if//when it comes out (my fingers are crossed that it doe), I'm hoping for them to put out a model as big as they think they can possibly put out on the market. I hope that it's bigger than 18". I trust that they'll do a good job in making it playable somehow.

I'd like the SSD model to have cheesy spring loaded plastic missiles specifically designed to avoid litigious mothers with eye-poked children.

The rules are simple: it's invincible.

If you hit a ship with the spring loaded missile, automatic destruction.

I r genius gamez dezin0rz.

I still doudt there will be "epic armada" I mean epic x-wing really wasn't that much of a success and the game is all ready suppose to take between 1 & 2 hours so an epic armada even with only 5-600 points would still likely take twice that!

and a 4 hour game is not a realistic expectation for ffg to realease,

I've yet to play Rebellion in under four hours...

I still doudt there will be "epic armada" I mean epic x-wing really wasn't that much of a success and the game is all ready suppose to take between 1 & 2 hours so an epic armada even with only 5-600 points would still likely take twice that!

I was thinking more in terms of the difference between WH40K and Epic40K - a different scale, possibly a slightly different ruleset.

I was thinking more in terms of the difference between WH40K and Epic40K - a different scale, possibly a slightly different ruleset.

The answer to "How do we put 'x' in the game."  should not be:  "make another game."

The answer to "How do we put 'x' in the game."  should not be:  "make another game."

Fair enough. Still, with a bit of fudging, you might be able to use exactly the same rules - just different models, as proxies.

If the only way I could play Armada with an Executor model was, using the model as a Vicstar proxy (and ISDs as TIE Interceptor proxies) I could live with that.

Where did you get the tiny CR90s?

Not my tiny Cr90s.

I got mine form tsalt:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/spacesupplydepot

he has plenty of great 1/7000 stuff for Armada in good qualitiy.

And then there is Mel_miniatures for 1/7000 stuff:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/mel_miniatures?section=1%2F7000&s=0

Btw, you can find tiny fighters from J_Roncho here:

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/j_roncho/creations

The only thing mine there is the XQ Platform and maybe the Nebulon B in the background. But I'm not sure. The rest are Utar's

What are your thoughts on the FFG liberty model, as compared to yours? I noticed that yours had larger bulges on the wing leading edges, and a second hangar on the underside:

MC80 image

as compared to this "wingless Liberty under construction" image from SWTC that seemed to have only one belly hangar:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/mcc.html#pearly

Ventral views, concentrating on the stern.

mcwhite1.jpg

Mine just had one hangar, the other two things are the necesary holes to make it hollow:

Fair enough - I couldn't make out the hangar itself clearly in the rather fuzzy image I linked to - only the holes, which I thought were hangars.

O.K. so not sure if this has been mentioned but why does the Executor have to be a model.

the easiest way to handle it would be to make it a group of terrain cards that way it could start in the deployment zone.

and every length of card has it own stats.

for movement you just add another card every even turn.

as for cost I would say it is a mission specific unit that gives a large point boost to the rebels, and can only be use with a set of unit specific missions that come with it.

like Battle of Endor mission, etc.

seeing some amazing ssd's on these forums, especially https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/228785-super-star-destroyer-model-picture/page-1leads me to think depending on how Corellian Conflict sells, that we may see the ssd come as a model in something like a Battle of Endor mission pack. The pack would be split into 2 purchasbale halves, 1 rebel 1 imperial, both contain all the same stuff to play the mission but with a different ship depending on faction. (perhaps multiple ships for rebel?) I think with the length a SSD needs to be to work thematically with sliding scale and workable on a table would require a larger play area, 6x6. 

then again maybe ive been drinking to much XXXX.

id also like the ssd to have multiple side firing arcs that intersect to make the most of its damage rather than having a full broadside 

This Saturday I'll be using my SSD from Mel's Miniatures in my Armada game at Pacificon the gaming convention I'll be attending and I hope the game goes well on several levels so I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's the line up for the forces in the game:

Imperials

SSD

Imperial Star Destroyer

Victory class Star Destroyer x2

Lancer Frigate

8-Tie Fighter Squadrons

4-Tie Bomber Squadrons

3-Tie Interceptor Squadrons

2-Tie Advanced Squadrons

Rebels

MC 80 Command Cruiser

Liberty Star Cruiser

Victory class Star Destroyer

Assault Frigate 2A x2

Nebulon B Frigate

MC 30 Frigate

Interdictor

Quasar Fire Carrier

7-X-Wing Squadrons

6-B-Wing Squadrons

3-Y-Wing Squadrons

4-A-Wing Squadrons

I'll be adding one more Liberty plus it's squadrons to the Rebels and go with that line up.

My hope is that I can get a full number of players and I hoping that most of them have played Armada before because in this game having played the game before does help.

I'll also be taking pictures of my game which I hope to post here so I have a question once I have the pictures can someone tell me how to add pictures to my post?

I ask this because I don't know how.

Michael