Sign in to follow this  
Peroxis

Game Master Improv

I've never gotten my players to touch Fudge or Fate with 10 foot poles (OK, that's a lie. The rulebooks were on the table - never garnered any interest), but my dice serve me well. So well in fact, that when others in my group GM, they borrow them. See, most of the time, when I have to improvise, I have an idea of what goes down. Sometimes, however, a player has pulled something so truly bizarre that I have no clue what to do. That's when I roll my Fudge dice. Then I take the overall vibe (good, bad, neutral, catastrophic, etc) and run with it.

I actually tend to play a pretty improv heavy game, in that respect. Maybe it's just that my players suffer from delusions of grandeur.

When I run a session I usualy have a set of bullet points for the story I'm going to get the party involved in. I'll have named NPC's and stated up bad guys (unless I'm using generics from the book. My basic rule of thumb is that no plan survives contact with the party so I have a lot of 'open' sections of the session where I'll go along with what the party want to do (as long as I can bring it back round to the central bullet points for the session at some point).

If the party comes up with a cool idea that you didn't think of then I would advise to nearly always run with it. A good example is a heist caper I was running on Cloud City. The party had stolen the item they been asked to get hold of and where traveling back to their ship via speeder. The plan was that a rival gang who had access to city security were going to ambush the party at their landing pad and try to steal the item for themselves. The party had previously located where the gang had hacked into the system and the droid in the group happened to mention that he'd told the system to tell him when the bad guys accessed it again. The party figured out that the gang were tracking them and where going to set up an ambush so decided to take the bull by the horns and go on the offencive. The point where the gang accessed the system was in the main shaft of Cloud City (see the end of The Empire Strikes Back) so the party decided to fly the 'speeder straight down the core shaft of the station to catch the bad guys off guard.

OK that sounds awesome. Original ambush plan goes out the window. Que piloting checks, amazed station personel, very suprised bad guys and a firefight from a hovering speeder. Everybody got to be awesome. The droid for having the presence of mind to ask about the hacking. The Twilek for coming up with the plan. The pilot for getting them there and the combat characters in the the party for blasting the baddies.

That's when I roll my Fudge dice. Then I take the overall vibe (good, bad, neutral, catastrophic, etc) and run with it.

I either roll percentage dice, or a set of EotE dice (YGGRPP) to get a similar vibe.

That's when I roll my Fudge dice. Then I take the overall vibe (good, bad, neutral, catastrophic, etc) and run with it.

I either roll percentage dice, or a set of EotE dice (YGGRPP) to get a similar vibe.

I see. It's easier for me when I look at Fudge dice because I can't readily convert a percentage to inspiration, and the Edge dice skew towards good. Fudge dice, however, I can instantly read. if I roll [ ] [-] [+] [+], then I immediately note that it would be +2 (something pretty good) except for the -1 (negative side effect) going on. Thus they got offered a nice job from a contact, but there's some hidden complication or another party trying to edge in on the job.

But if percentile dice or Edge dice get your inspiration going, more power to you.

Ah... That makes sense... Sometimes, when I have a specific yes / no question in mind, I roll a d6. 1 = No, and. 2 = No. 3 = No, but. 4 = Yes, but. 5 = Yes. 6 = Yes, and. But a percentage could gauge some less binary-ish things pretty well.