Sign in to follow this  
RodianClone

Lords of Nal Hutta - Aren`t Hutts Hemaphroditic anymore?

If they are both male and female, shouldn`t they have twi`lek dancers of both genders?

Not necessarily. Biological sexual organs have ****-all to do with attraction. Hutts being a hermaphroditic species doesn't change what individual ones might find sexy; being hermaphrodites does not automatically make them bi- or pansexual.

It is also mentioned in the EU that Hutts don't have female slaves for their own sexual attraction, as they aren't attracted to other species. They do it because they're a symbol of power, influence and wealth, and because most other species find those female dancers attractive.

It is also mentioned in the EU that Hutts don't have female slaves for their own sexual attraction, as they aren't attracted to other species. They do it because they're a symbol of power, influence and wealth, and because most other species find those female dancers attractive.

I definitely think Jabba was an exception to this rule.  When he wants his "pet" to come closer and starts rolling his tongue around

In the Phantom Menace we saw a male Hutt and a Female Hutt side by side. There are male and female hutts, so it is safe to say they breed with each other.

We all know Episode I was a hunk of junk but apparently it is canon..

Wait a minute...how did this even become an issue in anybody's campaign?!..too far people.

Edited by Kager

If they are both male and female, shouldn`t they have twi`lek dancers of both genders?

Not necessarily. Biological sexual organs have ****-all to do with attraction. Hutts being a hermaphroditic species doesn't change what individual ones might find sexy; being hermaphrodites does not automatically make them bi- or pansexual.

Yea, I`ll still have a few hutt gansgsters in my game, at least an exentric one, with male slaves as well or instead.

I definitely think Jabba was an exception to this rule.  When he wants his "pet" to come closer and starts rolling his tongue around

Just for  Show! Haha

In the Phantom Menace we saw a male Hutt and a Female Hutt side by side. There are male and female hutts, so it is safe to say they breed with each other.

Wait a minute...how did this even become an issue in anybody's campaign?!..too far people.

Feminine and masculine are not the same as male and female. On wookiepedia, Jabba is described as hemaphrodite(masculine personality), Gardulla is described as hemaphrodite(female personality)

It becomes part of the game when Hutt Space, hutt society and culture is a focus of the campaign. And it is likely to becomes important to a player who wants to play a hutt character.

Edited by RodianClone

Or to intentionally show his power over her, and to make her uncomfortable, to break down her will.

Yea, I`ll still have a few hutt gansgsters in my game, at least an exentric one, with male slaves as well or instead.

Just for  Show! Haha

Wait a minute...how did tis even become an issue in anybody's campaign?!..too far people.

Feminine and masculine are not the same as male and female. On wookiepedia, Jabba is described as hemaphrodite(masculine personality), Gardulla is described as hemaphrodite(female personality)

It becomes part of the game when Hutt Space, hutt society and culture is a focus of the campaign. And it is likely to becomes important to a player who wants to play a hutt character.

Wookiepedia isn't necessarily Disneys present take on Canon. It sounds like something you could make up on the spot that works best for your campaign. You might be waiting awhile for an official statement from Disney to learn about Hutt breeding practices.

The Wookieepedia material on Hutt gender characteristics is EU/Legends content pulled from Essential Guide to Alien Species and WotC's Ultimate Alien Anthology. The films and the Clone Wars have already ignored quite a bit of that material already. I'm sensing that FFG is trying to avoid taking a deep dive into Legends material so as not to contradict future Rebels episodes and the upcoming films.

Honestly, the EU material is both inconsistent and doesn't make sense. Hermaphroditic reproduction doesn't assign a person a gender role. And considering that Hutts consider themselves to best the "best" in the way of intelligent life, assigning one's self a gender identity - something that sexed species do, which Hutts would see themselves above - is a bizarre practice. It would be like an non-sighted alien that "sees" through echolocation deciding his favorite color is green. That creature has no frame of reference to understand what green is, other than as a scientific principle of radiation wavelengths.

I would imagine that reproduction among Hutts, like everything, is simply a business arrangement with complex negotiations in order to acquire a mate with the best genetics. Jabba probably cares about Rotta as a scion of his criminal empire, not as a product of a relationship.

The Wookieepedia material on Hutt gender characteristics is EU/Legends content pulled from Essential Guide to Alien Species and WotC's Ultimate Alien Anthology. The films and the Clone Wars have already ignored quite a bit of that material already. I'm sensing that FFG is trying to avoid taking a deep dive into Legends material so as not to contradict future Rebels episodes and the upcoming films.

Honestly, the EU material is both inconsistent and doesn't make sense. Hermaphroditic reproduction doesn't assign a person a gender role. And considering that Hutts consider themselves to best the "best" in the way of intelligent life, assigning one's self a gender identity - something that sexed species do, which Hutts would see themselves above - is a bizarre practice. It would be like an non-sighted alien that "sees" through echolocation deciding his favorite color is green. That creature has no frame of reference to understand what green is, other than as a scientific principle of radiation wavelengths.

I would imagine that reproduction among Hutts, like everything, is simply a business arrangement with complex negotiations in order to acquire a mate with the best genetics. Jabba probably cares about Rotta as a scion of his criminal empire, not as a product of a relationship.

Woah woah there... pointing the fingers here isnt exactly what we talk about here.

Lets put things in respective. The content that was around for fans to play about during the original movies is lax, considering the roleplaying games developed the core of the canon we refer to.

Hutts weren't even a species until elaborated, in a West End Games in the 90s and then further by WotC in 2003...

Also, FFG takes here a clear stance about the role of the Galaxy Master, to create and to explore. SO gender, isn't an issue at all, unrelated to what makes this "Star Warsy".

The Han Solo Trilogy was also a source regarding Hutt reproduction if I recall, probably the first. One or two Hutts went through the birthing and rearing process, and changed gender pronouns in the process.

I don't understand why everyone is arguing against it so strongly: Canon, Hutts are hermaphrodites. If Disney sees fit to change that in their new films, then there will be two divergent canons for new and old SW, but we can be guaranteed that vast swathes of the EU are going to go un-contradicted for some time: it will take years or decades for Disney to put out enough material to rewrite or fill in the entire EU. In the meantime, with no evidence of contradiction, we can continue to operate under the assumption that a lot of the little background details remain the same, or we can, what...throw up our hands, say there are no canon sources any more and everyone has to make up whatever they like?

I'm pretty confident the next 5 years of Star Wars films are not going to involve any mention of Hutt mating practices or gender identity. I don't see any reason to believe any change from what has already been established until the old canon is directly contradicted.

So yeah, I agree that FFG might have wanted to make mention of it, but the fact that they didn't doesn't mean it's no longer valid.

...throw up our hands, say there are no canon sources any more and everyone has to make up whatever they like?

I'm not trying to be snarky when I ask this; is that really such a bad thing? I prefer the Clone Wars TV show's approach - treat the EU/Legends material like a salad bar where you can pull interesting or the most appealing bits from and mix them in with your own stories.

The EU has had sooooo many creators contributing to it with such limited editorial oversight. I shudder to think that there are GMs out there who feel there's a need to be slavishly loyal to an alt-continuity where Jaxxon the Space Rabbit is actually a thing in order to be, I dunno, "loyal" to the property. Continuity only needs to make sense so far that it creates a cohesive narrative.

Gamers should game how they want and tell the stories they want. You want hermaphrodite Hutts? Go for it. But it's not unreasonable to point out that other writers' Star Trek-y attempts to explain biology in a mythic space fantasy property feels like it misses the mark.

I still have my players guessing on how sex/gender work for Mon Calamari, since I tossed the Legends canon for the race out on it's ear. My wife is playing Tendaar from the beginner box in my AoR game, and he/she uses the 3rd person pronoun "fish" and when the rest of the party asked the medic he responded with "It's against HIPA regulations to divulge personal information to coworkers." Hell, I'm not sure my wife is sure...

I still have my players guessing on how sex/gender work for Mon Calamari, since I tossed the Legends canon for the race out on it's ear. My wife is playing Tendaar from the beginner box in my AoR game, and he/she uses the 3rd person pronoun "fish" and when the rest of the party asked the medic he responded with "It's against HIPA regulations to divulge personal information to coworkers." Hell, I'm not sure my wife is sure...

All I know is that they taste great lightly fried with some chipotle ranch sauce.

Honestly, didn't anyone bother to check the Canon section of Wookieepedia?

That was added to the page on April 17 2015.

The last post before yours was on March 27 2015.

It was not there when they checked.

Maybe you should have checked that before getting so wound up about it.

Honestly, didn't anyone bother to check the Canon section of Wookieepedia?

That was added to the page on April 17 2015.

The last post before yours was on March 27 2015.

It was not there when they checked.

Maybe you should have checked that before getting so wound up about it.

Sorry if I sounded wound up about it :)

Only noted that it was added "early" in 2015 and that this thread was also from around then.

But at least we have an answer now.

They have two genders now? That sucks!:-/ ... Well in my game they don`t. Canon shmanon, why do we need it?

A little headcanon is ok in your own sessions, as long as the players all agree.

(don't want players to start arguing with you about stuff like that after reading wookieepedia)