Sign in to follow this  
RebelDave

Ship Repair Costs

OK, So I know the book has some guidance on this (500 creds per Hull point to be repaired).

But how would you go about it if you have a mechanic who wants to do ALL the work himself?

Clearly, this would take much more time, but how would you deal with the cost aspect?

(Ive not had to deal with this yet, as my crew got their HT repaired for "free" on Ryloth as a favour from Bu'ra Ba'an when they helped him out).

But I know my mechanic will want to do much of the work himself to get the cost down.

Advice welcome!!

It's also highly variable and up to the GM. So it can be nothing but a hard mechanics check on a world covered in salvageable scrap, or 1,000c/HT ona  world where parts are rare or restricted for whatever reason.

Also there's the issue of Crits. There's no real price listed iirc, so the GM can make it free (part of that 500/HT price) or require special parts be bought separate from the HT repairs or acquired as part of a quest chain.

I am handling it like this:

Cr 500 (or rather Silhouette x cr 100) is what you have to pay a mechanic to repair your ship. If you want to do it yourself, the parts base cost will be about 60% that. An advantage/threat will decrease/increase that amount by 10%. The base time for a repair roll is Silhouette² man hours. The difficulty and amount of damage repaired are the same as for damage control.

Cr 500 (or rather Silhouette x cr 100) is what you have to pay a mechanic to repair your ship. If you want to do it yourself, the parts base cost will be about 60% that. An advantage/threat will decrease/increase that amount by 10%. The base time for a repair roll is Silhouette² man hours. The difficulty and amount of damage repaired are the same as for damage control.

What roll are you using to determine if the price goes up or down?

Going out on a limb here and guessing the Mechanics roll to fix the ship... ;)

Think thats smart dont you :P

I wanted to know what roll he is making to determine the PRICE of the repairs BEFORE he makes the repairs.

Otherwise my player is going to have a fit when he rolls well, and gets a price he doesnt like, and its all as one roll.

I wanted to know what roll he is making to determine the PRICE of the repairs BEFORE he makes the repairs.

Otherwise my player is going to have a fit when he rolls well, and gets a price he doesnt like, and its all as one roll.

Throwing in-character fits and being cash-strapped over ship repairs is a design goal of EotE.

He need not worry, though, the local crime lord will no doubt be happy to front him the cash for some Obligation...

Throwing in-character fits and being cash-strapped over ship repairs is a design goal of EotE.

He need not worry, though, the local crime lord will no doubt be happy to front him the cash for some Obligation...

No, the PLAYER will pitch a fit.

He will demand to negotiate the cost of the parts/tools/berth BEFORE he makes any attempt to fix things.

It depends on how many rolls you want to make, and how much you want price to vary.  

One Roll: (my preferred)

Base Repair Value is 400 credits (or Sil x 75c or w/e) and 1 hour, plus 1 hour per point repaired.

Success/Failure determines amount of time in 10 minute/per point increments

Advantage/Disadvantage determines cost adjustment in 10% increments.

Triumph makes a repair particularly quickly, saves extra money, solves a critical, or similar

Despair means there weren't enough materials available, or a couple of points are not actually repaired, etc.

For two rolls:

I'd make it a Streetwise check (based on availability/time frame), just like finding anything else to buy.  Start at 400 credits and go down 25 credits per success, up 25 credits per failure, with every 2 advantages giving a blue to the subsequent Mechanics check (perfect parts) and 2 threat giving blacks (not-quite-right parts).  

Use medicine as your base for the Mechanics check (or maybe +1, because one typically isn't above hull - so starts average and gets harder as you get closer to hull threshold).  Starts at 2 hours per point, up or down 15 minutes per point by success or failure.  Triumph means he saves some materials for next time, Dispair means he ruined some parts and needs to buy more.

(Note, if your doing berth and materials separately, I'd do 350 parts, Plus berthing time - with a two black penalty if he does it without a proper berth.  Add another 10 or 15 credits per day for heavy repair tools (ie, a blue die) Yes this makes having professionals do it seem reasonable and it should - they get to pay for space by monthly rent, and have standing contracts for parts.)

Edited by Quicksilver

How I've done it:

500 per hull, 1000 per difficulty of crit, is parts cost.

A mechanic will charge an additional 10% for labor.

So: A YT-1300 with six damage and Knocked Off Course (Easy) would be:

(6 x 500) = 3,000

+ (1 x 1000) = 4,000 total

x 1.1 = 4,400 to pay to have someone else work on the ship.

I know the paid labor percentage is low, but I figured that if most of the labor is outsourced to droids working 24 hour shifts, it works out.

As Lorne already guessed its Mechanics for the price, based on the idea, that a good/bad mechanic might save/waste parts. So the roll determines how much parts you will need.

If you want to negotiate, feel free to roll for that, modifying the total costs for parts.

You can  even be nasty and ask the player beforehand what parts they're going to buy (whether haggling or not), and let them roll Mechanics afterwards. If they roll well, they will have spare parts for a latter occasion; if not so well, they won't be able to complete the repairs as intended.  

Sorry again that my browser or whatever, doesn't like quoting.

Edited by Grimmerling

I've been toying with the idea of having the cost be 100 x rarity per point of hull trauma. To repair a critical, it would be 100 x difficulty of repair x silhouette. To me it seems a little less arbitrary, and uses the rarity of the vessel for flavor.

I have the issue in my group that the Mechanic seems to think that Damage Control Action is free and only takes 1 action to perform, whether it is fixing a Critical or repairing Hull.  As the GM, I do like the credit and time cost of repairing a ship to keep the group hungry but in the face of 4 ranks of Solid Repairs, there isn't much work left to do once they reach a dock.

I have the issue in my group that the Mechanic seems to think that Damage Control Action is free and only takes 1 action to perform, whether it is fixing a Critical or repairing Hull.  As the GM, I do like the credit and time cost of repairing a ship to keep the group hungry but in the face of 4 ranks of Solid Repairs, there isn't much work left to do once they reach a dock.

I'm toying with the idea of "hot' and "cold" damage, that is, "first aid" medical/mechanic checks can only repair injuries which have occurred during that encounter ("hot damage"), but not damage left over from previous encounters ("cold damage").  It would seem to provide the desired narrative outcomes -- even a guy that looks like hamburger meat, with a mix of fresh and old wounds could still be fully healed by a combination of first aid (up to the new wounds) followed by stimpacks (for whatever's leftover).  However, even a well-maintained ship that's seen a lot of action will still need occasional repair in the hangar because, well, you can't always just fix everything from inside the ship while it's running...  "Oh, the 'Check Engine' light just came on -- here, hold the wheel..."

Damage control to fix hull damage is once per encounter, IIRC.  Also, there's nothing that says that it's free, just that it can be quickly done.  It's well and reasonable for a GM to make players have 500+ credits worth of parts on board the ship in the "repair bin" to perform the action.  Alternately, that the damage is just "band-aided" and will eventually come back on its own unless you do real repairs.

(I also think it's perfectly reasonable to limit damage control to damage that occurred during the encounter you're in - it is Damage Control after all, not repair.  We've even fluffed it in a couple of our games as the Mechanic shutting down power before systems overload, or even using the fire extinguisher.)

Edited by Quicksilver

Honestly its your game the cost of repairs is whatever fits your narrative, if the player has issues with that and needs to read a price in writing somewhere that's on the GM, for not being blunt and upfront about that with the player.

Money sinks shouldn't be there to somehow deprive characters of all their ability to earn credits, and players haggling with a local scrap dealer for the cost of parts should certainly be allowed.  Find a balance

Damage control to fix hull damage is once per encounter, IIRC.  Also, there's nothing that says that it's free, just that it can be quickly done.  It's well and reasonable for a GM to make players have 500+ credits worth of parts on board the ship in the "repair bin" to perform the action.  Alternately, that the damage is just "band-aided" and will eventually come back on its own unless you do real repairs.

Yes, it is once per encounter and I do limit it to damage done in that encounter.  The party have a GHTROC so it soaks most damage with its 5 Soak leaving the ship to be nickle and dimed rather than taking a few big hits.  A repair roll of 7+ successes (pretty easy to accomplish with 4 ranks of Solid Repair and 4 Mechanics) usually fixes everything and critical hits post combat are no real challenge for a 4 skill point Mechanic with Destiny Points to spend.

Honestly its your game the cost of repairs is whatever fits your narrative, if the player has issues with that and needs to read a price in writing somewhere that's on the GM, for not being blunt and upfront about that with the player.

Money sinks shouldn't be there to somehow deprive characters of all their ability to earn credits, and players haggling with a local scrap dealer for the cost of parts should certainly be allowed.  Find a balance

My players are only used to RAW (rules as written) systems so if there is a grey area or absent rules in EotE they take that as an opportunity to "game the system". On the flip side, they figure if they can find a rule in writing, it trumps anything that the GM has said. 

I don't use money sinks to deprive the group, I want to use them to illustrate the tough life of a tramp freighter crew.  I have the idea that I want to give them say 10k so I work out a job that they get paid 14k for, assuming that there will be about 2k worth of expenses if all goes well and 6k if it goes poorly due to bad decisions.  Running a tramp freighter should be an expensive business run on the ragged edge, feeling that a large chunk of their "profit" is going just to keep the ship up and running.  Sure, I was never going to give them more than 12k for the job but I want them to *feel* like it is a hard knock life, always looking for that "one big score" to set them up for the future.

Sorry, I don't mean to derail this thread, I just thought it was a good place to discuss the cost and consequences of ship repairs.

Am I reading the section on temporary hull repairs (page 243, 2nd paragraph) correctly? No matter how much hull trauma you've taken, a successful Mechanics check will immediately (and for free) restore all but 1 hull trauma? True, it cripples your ship, but that still seems odd. And it mentions then needing to be dry-docked and repaired. But since the ship is only down 1 hull, this can't just cost 500cr, right?

Am I reading the section on temporary hull repairs (page 243, 2nd paragraph) correctly? No matter how much hull trauma you've taken, a successful Mechanics check will immediately (and for free) restore all but 1 hull trauma? True, it cripples your ship, but that still seems odd. And it mentions then needing to be dry-docked and repaired. But since the ship is only down 1 hull, this can't just cost 500cr, right?

You got it backwards. Remeber Hull Trauma is a Threshold, so it counts up, not down.  So if your ship has an HT of 20, and you've taken 21+ points of damage and are disabled, you can make a Hard Mechanics check and reduce it back down to one below the threshold (so 20 or 19 depending on your definition) and be back online enough to at least limp to safety.

Still that's a heck of a deal if you've taken a turbolaser blast and are sitting at your HT+20 in damage...

Not per se, but bad things generally happen when you exceed a threshold, not when you equal it.  So you don't fall unconscious until your wounds exceed your wound threshold, your ship isn't disabled until its hull trauma exceeds its HT threshold, and you're not encumbered until you exceed your encumbrance threshold.

However, the wording on page 243 states that "the ship reduces its hull trauma to one below its full trauma threshold", not "... to its full trauma threshold", so in the above example, HT is reduced to 19.  That means you can take another 2 HT before you're right back to square one :)

Not really a point of contention as just one I'm a tad fuzzy on. I think it's 19, but since you aren't dead in the water until you're OVER the threshold I could understand if a GM said you should at 20.

Honestly though the difference is pretty much nil as the odds of taking only 1 point in HT damage are probably worse then the odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field...