Sign in to follow this  
KennedyHawk2

Generous Donations

There's a cheat for the imperial in this mission too in that he can shoot down the door himself and get guards + eweb in turn 1.  If it's early in the campaign it's over before it begins for the rebels.

Is this for real?

Yes, in Generous Donations any figure can attack a door.

I would not help the rebels shooting the doors down though, but I did try to weaken the other door when the rebels got in, so there would be less to shoot down when the doors close again. Well, I was too efficient and shot the other door down in one attack, so the plan sort of failed, but at least my E-Web got to Recover 2 damage.

Which way is it broken for you? Did rebels win or the imperial player?

The Imperial player attacking doors is not what's broken in the mission. I have had a play where rebels got next to nothing, and one where the imperial player got almost nothing.

Imperials won. It wasn't even close. The guards popped in right where they needed to be and the mission was over. I think the rebs got maybe two tokens from the bottom terminal before they were overwhelmed. It was bad.

I had the same experience. This is one of the cases where the Rebels are expected to know that they should never, ever, under any circumstances, trigger an event (progressing the mission, opening a door, etc) with their second action. If they make that single mistake in this mission, the Imperial gets a very strong bonus deployment in a very tactically advantageous position and can almost certainly take two of the three terminals before the Rebels have any opportunity to react. From there it's just a matter of wounding any nearby Rebels to get the last terminal (which the Imperial's very strong bonus deployments sure help with), and the Imperial even has 3 whole rounds to accomplish that before the Rebels can gain any benefit from guarding it.

If the Rebels progress the mission with a first action, I can kind of sort of maybe see them pulling out at least a tie, if not a win. But if their only mistake in the entire mission is to upload with no actions remaining (and insufficient strain to get in range of the other terminals), they can more or less concede; the only remaining question is whether the Imperial can get the third terminal on that same round for the 12/12 blowout, or whether the Rebels can hang onto it to deny the Imperial that final bonus tier.

So my rebel player picked this as the first side mission in a RTH campaign after losing the first mission, against my advice to take a threat mission instead because he justifiably feels strapped on credits after losing.

I think when we play tomorrow night I'm going to make an errata by moving the text about Imperials being able to interact to discard a terminal unless a rebel figure is 2 spaces away part of the mission briefing.

Mission rules state "Healthy Rebel Figure", not hero. Any Rebel Figure will do (like the Echo Base Troopers they would have earned in "The Battle of Hoth").

Couple things I have wondered when reading this, hearing people complain about this mission, but have not see people mention:

• Once a door has been opened, the Green Deployment points become INACTIVE and can no longer be used.

• Regardless of the number of terminals, the Imperial player only generates +(Threat Level) Threat at the end of the round. Remember that the order of events in the status phase (Deploy and Reinforce happens BEFORE End of Round Effects) means that threat gained at the end of the round cannot be spent until the NEXT Status phase.

Assuming the rebels were smart enough to clear the Command Room either prior to, or just after uploading the virus, they should have no problems defending that position, since they can shoot through the doors.

Edited by Fizz

• Once a door has been opened, the Green Deployment points become INACTIVE and can no longer be used.

Yep.

It is long way from the red point with the rebels shooting at you before you even get to activate. And there is no way to block LoS to an AT-ST if you happen to have it on this mission. Stormtroopers spend a round double-moving, then get shot down. It takes a lot of maneuvering and one or two brave Imperial Officers to get imperial figures near the doors before they are shot down and they can get the doors down and get inside.

(Never open/destroy a door as your second action and never as your last activation. Of course, unless you absolutely have to.)

And there is no way to block LoS to an AT-ST if you happen to have it on this mission

Funny you should say that...

AT-ST is part of the scripted event once the virus is uploaded and right next to the rebel deployment zone.

This is the "better" (reward) option for my next side mission.  Considering how utterly and completely I annihilated the Rebels when I was doing it as Imps, I'm not sure I even want to attempt this as Rebels, especially since I have an even weaker set of heroes.  While the Imperial player is very unlikely to play it like I did, running figures behind the rocks and putting sacrificial nexu and others in front of the near door to either drain Rebel actions or force a bad late round door opening with enemies behind them, I just don't have the heavy hitters yet (this will be the 2nd side mission in the core campaign) to deal with what is behind the doors.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Its all the free troops, the where, the when, and the what of them, that makes this mission stupid imbalanced. In *spite of what Fizz says, I dont think its salvageable.

Seriously, am I the only person who finds this mission easy for the rebels?

I also see this mission as very easy for the Rebels, unless the Imperial player wants to be a complete d-bag.

Edited by Fizz

I also see this mission as very easy for the Rebels, unless the Imperial player wants to be a complete d-bag.

It's ridiculously hard for the rebels, unless the imperial player is really really incompetent.  eEngineer supported by an RG is one of if not the worst "in your face" spawns in the game.  On top of that the initial + reserve + bonus threat is one of the highest in the game.  If it's not hard for the rebels, you're doing something wrong.

It's ridiculously hard for the rebels, unless the imperial player is really really incompetent.  eEngineer supported by an RG is one of if not the worst "in your face" spawns in the game.  On top of that the initial + reserve + bonus threat is one of the highest in the game.  If it's not hard for the rebels, you're doing something wrong.

The e-web has very poor sight lines, especially if the royal guards don't just sit behind it, furthermore once the virus is uploaded (which is where most of the threat+reserve comes from) everything needs a turn or more to get into position; during this time the Rebels will be raking in the credits. Finally I should mention that there are SIX squares on the board that block the IP from removing two of the terminals.

With almost an entire *campaigns' worth of influence points riding in a single mission, anything less than complete dbag is absolutely irresponsible. The stakes are stupid high on that mission, and the empire *cannot just 'halfway' things.

The e-web has very poor sight lines, especially if the royal guards don't just sit behind it, furthermore once the virus is uploaded (which is where most of the threat+reserve comes from) everything needs a turn or more to get into position; during this time the Rebels will be raking in the credits. Finally I should mention that there are SIX squares on the board that block the IP from removing two of the terminals.

How is being able to see all 3 terminals, both doors and still have 1 of the RGs hidden while adjacent "poor sightlines?"

If it's early campaign and you can't reliably generate good pierce or focus on at least 2 characters this spawn is absolutely lethal.  Not to mention you're STANDING ON SPAWN POINTS.  Unless you sac a character to rush in and use a terminal to shut down the spawn, something players shouldn't know to do, you will have troops dropping on your head while you are still dealing with the RG and eEngineer.

Even late campaign this can be extremely rough.  With decent choices of agenda and attachments like Fire at Will the eEngineer can fire 4 times in a round easily recovering whatever wounds it's dealt and with combat vets and assault armor from military might it's sitting at an impressive 3 block + black with a reroll and 9 health.

Mak shoots down the top door with his first action, strains inside and has LoS to the E-Web anywhere you can put it (unless you put it in the corner from where it can't attack either), then Ambushes it. The E-Web Engineer can't attack Mak, because of Covert. The RG's try to stun Mak, and are then dealt with by other rebel heroes.

Next round only rebels are inside. They upload the virus and snipe the imperial troops outside when they try to get closer.

The real work for the rebels is getting to and through the doors and dealing with the initial deployments efficiently. After that they just need to act with proper caution. I was able to wound all heroes before the last round, saving me 3 tokens.

I have also seen what happens if the rebels upload as soon as they get inside with the Royal Guards still alive, so the mission can end landslide either way.

Not to mention you're STANDING ON SPAWN POINTS.  Unless you sac a character to rush in and use a terminal to shut down the spawn, something players shouldn't know to do, you will have troops dropping on your head while you are still dealing with the RG and eEngineer.

What do you mean? Once the first door is destroyed, the green deployment points are no longer active. Also, the deployment to the Command Room is a one-time deployment to a tile, you can't deploy into the tile in optional deployments.

Edited by a1bert

How is being able to see all 3 terminals, both doors and still have 1 of the RGs hidden while adjacent "poor sightlines?"

The rebels should kill the E-Web and probably the royal guards before activating the terminals, this makes the vision to the top entrance and the terminals irrelevant.

Basically if the E-Web wants clear sight lines the royal guards have to take less advantages positions (and even if they work around it there are still blindspots), it's not hard for the heroes to force the E-Web to pass and that lets the rebels get multiple attacks in a row against it.  I've played this mission four times and I don't think the E-web has ever managed more than one round of shooting.