Sign in to follow this  
RedSquadronK

Interesting Rules from the RRG

Read through the Rules Reference guide and noticed a few little rules that piqued my interested and thought I'd share for discussion:

-If, after 6 rounds, both players tie on points the 2nd player wins.
-You can premeasure your ship movement with the maneuver tool, but once you have put the guides of the maneuver tool into the base you are committed to that path. I can see this becoming important/annoying in tournament play.
-During setup it says players place 6 obstacles, but it doesn't specify type. Hypothetically you could play with only 6 Stations, though that would require both players to own 3 Core sets (or FFG allow "proxy" obstacles).

-During setup, "Squadrons must be placed within distance 1-2 of a friendly ship and MAY BE PLACED OUTSIDE OF DEPLOYMENT ZONES." (Emphasis clearly mine.) So you can start your slow B-Wings distance 2 ahead of everything else!

Any other neat little rules people have noticed?

Another is you have to declare that your spending the command for a token when you reveal it. If you don't use it, you don't get to keep the worse version

You mean you have to declare if you are going to save it, otherwise the "diet" version can't be claimed later. Yes?

Another is you have to declare that your spending the command for a token when you reveal it. If you don't use it, you don't get to keep the worse version

You mean you have to declare if you are going to save it, otherwise the "diet" version can't be claimed later. Yes?

Yep, rules say you just discard it if it's not used, so you won't get to just see if you need that concentrate fire command. It'll make some interesting choices with navigate commands too.

"All ships and squadrons in the same fleet are friendly to each other. All ships and squadrons in an opposing fleet are enemy ships and squadrons." - if it would be that simple :P

To add on to this, they also mention that a ship is considered "friendly" to itself. Pretty standard in their card games, but worth noting!

I really like this rule, forces you to plan and be decisive. Don't get to wait and see whether you need the full dial or can save the token.

A fleet cannot spend more than one third of its fleet

points, rounded up, on squadrons.

The fact that rounding is mentioned here demonstrates that its the lists point cost that its worked off, not 300 points. So if you brought 290 points worth, your fighters would have to be less than 97 points.

The fact that rounding is mentioned here demonstrates that its the lists point cost that its worked off, not 300 points. So if you brought 290 points worth, your fighters would have to be less than 97 points.

Unless they're open to the possibility that someone plays at a points level other than 300, such as, say, 450.

Swarm:

While attacking a squadron engaged with

another squadron, you may reroll 1 die.

A Counter attack can be modified by effects that

modify a standard attack, such as the swarm keyword.

So basically swarming TIE Interceptors can re-roll dice on both regular and counter attack rolls.

Edited by MaverickNZ

"If line of sight between two squadrons is obstructed,

those squadrons are not engaged even if at distance 1 of

each other, though they can still attack each other."

Very interesting...

This is interesting because if your opponent drives their ship over your squadrons that are locked in combat and you get to place them in base contact with the ship, if you placed one on each side then they would be "obstructed" giving your fighers a chance to either escape, or shoot the capital ship!

I actually really liked this addition - like What pointed out, it allows fleet building to be extremely fluid for anyone who wants to scale their games up above 300 points.

"If line of sight between two squadrons is obstructed,

those squadrons are not engaged even if at distance 1 of

each other, though they can still attack each other."

Very interesting...

This is interesting because if your opponent drives their ship over your squadrons that are locked in combat and you get to place them in base contact with the ship, if you placed one on each side then they would be "obstructed" giving your fighers a chance to either escape, or shoot the capital ship!

Yup, if you can engage the TIE screen in front of an enemy ship, force them to overlap your squadrons the next turn, you will get to place them, potentially freeing them to torpedo the ship in your squadron phase...

Squadron commands could defeat this tactic, but SDs have that large stack of commands to get through, if you can wrong foot your opponent. I really like how there seems to be ways for the fighters to still contribute after an initial engagement, possibly ending the 'furball of death' scenario for your fighters.

Also, it creates an interesting tactic where you need to be aware of how you place your fighters. You can't use squadrons to squat on space or camp out a territory for your oncoming capital ships. Enemy squadrons could engage them hopingf or your cpaital ship to overlap them, granting them a free tactical redeployment -- especially robust Rebel fighters like B/X-wings. It'll make screening your capital ships a little tricky.

I actually really liked this addition - like What pointed out, it allows fleet building to be extremely fluid for anyone who wants to scale their games up above 300 points.

It may have to be Errata'd, but I wonder if it is 1/3rd of your "Set" agreed points cost i.e 300, or your actual points cost of your fleet. could men the difference of 3 or 4 points, which could be a big deal.

It may have to be Errata'd, but I wonder if it is 1/3rd of your "Set" agreed points cost i.e 300, or your actual points cost of your fleet. could men the difference of 3 or 4 points, which could be a big deal.

I would go with agreed point level. The other way doesn't sound right at all and more like reading into the rules too much.

I would go with agreed point level. The other way doesn't sound right at all and more like reading into the rules too much.

Don't forget it requires math, ugh I have a hard enough time adding my squad points, don't ask me to start DIVIDING now too!

Edited by clontroper5

"Reroll: When a die is rerolled, the attacker picks it up
and rolls it again. A die can be rerolled multiple times."

Soo... Not like X-Wing. That's a good one to remember, with all the tokens and upgrades and whatnot.

Timing becomes very important - Effect use and Timing "If both players have effects with the same timing, the first
player resolves all of his effects with that timing first."

There is a ton of rules lawyer type stuff here...FFG really thought a lot about their rule set and IMO improved it, probably from lessons learned in X -Wing.

I'm impressed.