Sign in to follow this  
Star Lord

Reasonable entry into X-Wing

I wouldn't recomend it. On a budget, I really recomend a faction and building the faction before you try to get everything. Getting options in your chosen faction is better than scattershot of everything. 

Since the Falcon is what you want to play, I would recomend Core, Falcon, YT-2400, 2 Z-95s, Rebel Aces, HWK, and A-wing. That would give you plenty of options to upgrade your Falcon. 

For $200 and 2 of you playing my advice would be go to an online discount retailer like miniature market.

Grab the following;

2 Core Sets

X-wing Expansion

Y-Wing Expansion

Millennium Falcon Expansion

HWK-290 Expansion

2 Z-95 Expansions

Tie Fighter Expansion

Tie Advanced Expansion

Slave I Expansion

Most Wanted Expansion

That will give you a big chunk of ships and allow you to build small fleets of Rebel, Imperial or Scum and Villany;

For Rebels you'd have;

YT-1300, 3 X-wings, 2 Y-Wings, 4 Z-95's and a HWK 290 as options

For Imperials you'd have;

Firespray-31, Tie Advanced, 5 Tie Fighters

For Scum and Villany you'd have;

Firespray-31, HWK 290, 2 Y-Wings, 4 Z-95's

all for under $200 w/ free shipping

For $200 and 2 of you playing my advice would be go to an online discount retailer like miniature market.

Grab the following;

2 Core Sets

X-wing Expansion

Y-Wing Expansion

Millennium Falcon Expansion

HWK-290 Expansion

2 Z-95 Expansions

Tie Fighter Expansion

Tie Advanced Expansion

Slave I Expansion

Most Wanted Expansion

That will give you a big chunk of ships and allow you to build small fleets of Rebel, Imperial or Scum and Villany;

For Rebels you'd have;

YT-1300, 3 X-wings, 2 Y-Wings, 4 Z-95's and a HWK 290 as options

For Imperials you'd have;

Firespray-31, Tie Advanced, 5 Tie Fighters

For Scum and Villany you'd have;

Firespray-31, HWK 290, 2 Y-Wings, 4 Z-95's

all for under $200 w/ free shipping

Thank a lot! This helps greatly because I won't need to buy things blindly and hope I can get what I need. I'm trying to explain this game to my brother to get him on board, and he seems intrigued by it (even though neither of us had played miniatures before), but when he heard about IG2000 he was excited and wanted to try it. Problem is, he will need two and I don't know if I can substitute two IG2000 with the ships I need to buy. Any ideas?

if under $200 is a firm budget I'd just drop the second core set and grab an IG2000 expansion or 2 then, that or drop 1 Z-95 and the HWK 290 and grab one IG2000

Is the second Core set really needed for two players? I had to buy more than one Core set for Conquest but I was hoping other FFG games won't force us to do so.

For $200 you can easily get a squadron for all 3 factions. 

Okay lets go.

• Core set $40
  • Falcon $30
  • Slave 1 $30
  • Y-wing $15
  • HWK-290 $15
  • Tie Fighter $15
  • Tie Defender/Tie Phantom $15
  • Most Wanted Pack $40

Total ~$200

For your rebel squadron you have

• 1 X-wing
  • 1 Y-wing
  • 1 YT-1300 (Falcon)
  • 1 HWK-290

For Your Imperial Fleet you have

• 3 Tie Fighters
  • 1 Firespray (Slave 1)
  • and 1 Tie Defender or Tie Phantom (or both if you drop the Tie Fighter pack or you could replace a Tie Fighter with a Tie Interceptor, Soontier for Howlrunner is a good trade)

For your S&V roster you have 

• 2 ScumZies (Z-95)
  • 2 Scum-Wings (Y-wing)
  • 1 Scumhawk (HWK-290)
  • 1 Firescum (Firespray)

With these lists you can easily make a 100 point standard list for any faction and have some options as well.

Thanks. Is it possible to switch between TIE Advanced/Defender/Phantom? I'm not sure what the differences are between them.

Well for one they all play differently with different stats and maneuver dials. I probably should have said 1 imperial small expansion packs or any 2 Tie packs and drop the fighter.

Tie Advanced point wise cost the same as an X-wing however trading the firepower for agility was not a good deal in the game. There is a fix coming but it is coming in a $100 epic expansion pack with the imperial raider. If you are in a budget then I wouldn't bother with the Tie Advanced.

Tie Phantoms are considered one of the most powerful ships in the game however the cloaking mechanics take some time for players to get into practice and can be difficult for new players. If you use it unwisely it will punish you and the phantom will go down in a single shot.

Tie Defenders (often called boats) are some of the more tanky small imperial ships. They are hefty on the point cost and most of the Hard turns are red which makes it fly very rigidly, but hey an all 3 stat line is a nice thing to have.

Tie Interceptors also known as arc dodging glass cannons can be fun to play with but if you want to play them effectively you will have to buy other accompanying expansion packs. (A-wing or Imperial Aces for PTL, Star Viper for autothrusters). Essentaily in a budget you would be buying a Tie interceptor squadron and nothing else.

The Tie Fighter pack gives one Tie Fighter (and you can always have more Tie Fighters until you reach 8) however it comes with some of the Best Tie Fighter pilots such as Howlrunner and Backstabber. However if you are going for the Tie Swarm It is best to get second Core set (for the extra X-wing) and then go for 4 Tie Fighter Expansion packs.

if under $200 is a firm budget I'd just drop the second core set and grab an IG2000 expansion or 2 then, that or drop 1 Z-95 and the HWK 290 and grab one IG2000

Is the second Core set really needed for two players? I had to buy more than one Core set for Conquest but I was hoping other FFG games won't force us to do so.

No, it's not. It used to be a very smart buy in order to expand collections (3 ships for $40 and extra templates and dice was a bargain). But there are so many ships to buy now...

I also don't know that the aggressor is a good buy unless you like scum. One note: a key card for the falcon, 3PO, comes in the Tantive. I don't suggest buying it, but it's a very good card.

Edited by AlexW

Autothrusters are a big part of using the tie interceptor against large turret ships it really improves their life span, and push the limit is a ept that works for a wide range of ships.

Sounds like both upgrades are must-haves for ships that can use them.

If your brother plans to do any FFG tournaments he will need his own damage deck and the other stuff that comes with the core. That still doesn't mean that you need to buy two core. For just playing games between the 2 of you one set of everything will work fine. Also odds are that people at your local store will have a spare set and be willing to let him borrow for store events. If he really gets into X-Wing he should eventually get his own core and the majority of the components for the lists he wants to run.

Autothrusters are a big part of using the tie interceptor against large turret ships it really improves their life span, and push the limit is a ept that works for a wide range of ships.

PTL is a must for Tie Interceptors (it comes with the A-wing & Imperial Aces). But it's one of the best elite pilot upgrades in the game.

Autothrusters just came out with the StarViper. It's designed to help arc dodgers (ships that live & die by maneuvering out of enemy firing arcs), survive against turreted ships like the Falcon. It can only be equipped to A-wings, Tie Interceptors, StarVipers, and IG-2000.

PTL is a must for Tie Interceptors (it comes with the A-wing & Imperial Aces). But it's one of the best elite pilot upgrades in the game.

Autothrusters just came out with the StarViper. It's designed to help arc dodgers (ships that live & die by maneuvering out of enemy firing arcs), survive against turreted ships like the Falcon. It can only be equipped to A-wings, Tie Interceptors, StarVipers, and IG-2000.

Well, since my brother wants to play with IG2000, I guess we must get a StarViper so he can use Autothrusters.

Ok, for your brother here's the common upgrades for IG-2000 and which expansion pack they're included in. You don't need every one, but you should try to be able to fill each upgrade slot. My favorites are the underlined ones.

Elite Pilot Talent:

• Adrenalin Rush (tie bomber)
  • Predator (tie defender) 
  • Push the Limit (a-wing, imperial aces comes with 2 copies)

System:

• Advanced Sensors (e-wing, lambda shuttle)
  • Fire Control System (b-wing, tie phantom)

Cannon:

• Mangler Cannon (IG-200, M3-A interceptor)
  • Heavy Laser Cannon (Lambda, Slave-1, YT-2400)

Modification:

• Autothrusters (StarViper comes with 2 cpoies)

Illicit: all are included with IG-2000

Edited by Radarman5

That's a bit too many ships for me to buy, unfortunately. What upgrades do you think are crucial for IG2000? Maybe I can figure out what to buy and what not to. And many thanks for all your help!  

Edited by Star Lord

That's a bit too many ships for me to buy, unfortunately. What upgrades do you think are crucial for IG2000? Maybe I can figure out what to buy and what not to. And many thanks for all your help!  

IG-2000 will get you a Mangler Cannon and every Illicit.

Autothrusters is very good, but it's not crucial.

You mainly want to get a good Elite Pilot Talent (Push The Limit or Predator) and System upgrade (Fire Control or Advanced Sensors), they're all great cards. I recommend just getting the 2 ships you want to use that include those cards. I prefer Predator & Advanced Sensors for IG-2000.

One thing to note, Predator & Fire Control System both let you re-roll attack dice (under different circumstances), but a die can only be rerolled once, so they're generally redundant to use on the same ship.

Wow, that's a lot of great info. Thanks! I think I understand this game a little more. So, are PTL and Autothrusters essential to build a good fleet? They seemed very important.

PTL is good on Ships that have a lot of Green maneuver variety so they can immediately shake off the stress that they got from PTL. A-wings, Interceptors, Scyks, and Aggressors all have 5 or more green maneuvers. It also depends on how you use your action. Boost Barrel roll is one of the best arc dodging maneuvers or you can hunker down with focus and evade to give your green dice a better chance of not letting you die.

Autothrusters is only great against turreted ships and range 3 cannons. It helps the Tie interceptor not get completely on shotted off from say a Fat Han or eat a HLC at range 3 from Dash. However most ships don't have turreted weapons and unless they are using a secondary weapon you get an extra green die for evades. Still it only rerolls a blank not any green dice so if you get caught without a focus token and end up with 4 focus results autothrusters will end up doing nothing.

Edited by Marinealver

Wow, that's a lot of great info. Thanks! I think I understand this game a little more. So, are PTL and Autothrusters essential to build a good fleet? They seemed very important.

PTL is good on Ships that have a lot of Green maneuver variety so they can immediately shake off the stress that they got from PTL. A-wings, Interceptors, Scyks, and Aggressors all have 5 or more green maneuvers. It also depends on how you use your action. Boost Barrel roll is one of the best arc dodging maneuvers or you can hunker down with focus and evade to give your green dice a better chance of not letting you die.

Autothrusters is only great against turreted ships and range 3 cannons. It helps the Tie interceptor not get completely on shotted off from say a Fat Han or eat a HLC at range 3 from Dash. However most ships don't have turreted weapons and unless they are using a secondary weapon you get an extra green die for evades. Still it only rerolls a blank not any green dice so if you get caught without a focus token and end up with 4 focus results autothrusters will end up doing nothing.

It's not a re-roll it turns a blank into an evade at range three or when out of arc, green dice are more blank than anything else so in conjunction with an evade action your reducing incoming fire from turrets by two most of the time, and when closing it helps ensure you won't lose a ship before the game really starts.

One thing to note, Predator & Fire Control System both let you re-roll attack dice (under different circumstances), but a die can only be rerolled once, so they're generally redundant to use on the same ship.

Predator is from TIE Defender and Fire Control System is from TIE Phantom. If it's redundant to use both, then maybe I can just buy either the Defender or the Phantom instead of both. I'm leaning toward Phantom because I've seen some videos of this ship on Youtube, and it seems like it's a ship that you can build your fleet around.

Predator is and Elite Pilot Talent (EPT), and every ship except the Shuttle & rebel Y-wing has some top pilots that can use them.

Fire Control System (FCS) and Advanced Sensors (AdvS) are a System Upgrades, which only 5 ships can equip (IG-2000, Shuttle, E-wing, Phantom, StarViper).