Sign in to follow this  
Atraangelis

STAR WARS SPINOFF: ROUGE ONE!

Just heard this a spin off movie for 2016 ROGUE ONE..

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/rogue-one-will-be-first-star-wars-stand-alone-film

DOH... apparently my thread title is about makeup..  :wacko:

**** spellcheck...

Can an admin please fix my title since we cant edit them!  :blink:

Edited by Atraangelis

Stay on Target!

meet-miss-jones-p159-feb14-vogue-Alasdai

Felicity Jones has a starting role. (played Jane hawking in "The theory of everything")

So far we got  a name, and an actress.  Speculation is useless beyond that.

Sorry but with your thread title, I'm imagining a scene back at the rebel base where some rookie is assigned to their squadron:

"Biggs, you're in gold squadron, Erich, red squadron, I'll head up Blue squadron..."

"What about me?"

"Wesley, you're the leader of rouge squadron. Good luck."

*sniggers from the other pilots*

So, what is this going to look like? With the new canon, the only thing we are left with is Luke was called "Rogue Leader" when he led a group of snowspeeders at Hoth. The link above mentions rumors of Rogue Squadron being about a group of bounty hunters. I don't believe the script writers are going to completely ignore EU and make the movie about a group of non-pilot bounty hunters. So, assuming the movie will include a "Squadron" of pilots AND the rumor of a group of bounty hunters is true, how does this fit together? The bounty hunters are also top shot pilots? The squadron supports a group of bounty hunters on a mission? Or are the rumors completely false or confusing two future Star Wars movies?

Edited by Sturn

The bounty hunter stuff is just supposition at this point.  It could be a story of how someone (the Felicity Jones character) starts as a bounty hunter but transforms into the leader of a Rebel cell that is rogue squadron. There are also wonderings if this going to be the story of how the Death Star plans were captured. That Felicity may be playing a Bothan bounty hunter that comes to the side of the Rebels after being hired by them. Similarities to Hans story. But, as said, it is all speculation at this point.

Just heard this a spin off movie for 2016 ROGUE ONE..http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/rogue-one-will-be-first-star-wars-stand-alone-film

**** spellcheck...

Clearly you are a french expert on star wars lore and was making a clever play on words, rogue squadron was originally red squadron (at yavin) and Rouge is french for red. I commend you for your sharp wit, I imagine that most people reading this thread didn't get your clever pun, for future reference I might suggest making more obvious attempts at humor so that they will have greater appeal to casual star wars fans that didn't take french in high school.

Just heard this a spin off movie for 2016 ROGUE ONE..http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/rogue-one-will-be-first-star-wars-stand-alone-film

**** spellcheck...  

Clearly you are a french expert on star wars lore and was making a clever play on words, rogue squadron was originally red squadron (at yavin) and Rouge is french for red. I commend you for your sharp wit, I imagine that most people reading this thread didn't get your clever pun, for future reference I might suggest making more obvious attempts at humor so that they will have greater appeal to casual star wars fans that didn't take french in high school.

Clearly you have missed the third layer of this joke. "Rouge" is not actually French, but Twi'Lek (a language that is however identical to French). If you watch the scene in Jabba's palace where the Twi'Lek dancer is being dragged towards Jabba you can hear her exclaiming: "Non, ne me tuez pas!". And indeed if you watch TCW, all of the Twi'Lek characters have a Twi'Lek accent which is not a French accent (given that this takes place in a galaxy far, far away and a long time ago), but which is coincidentally identical to a French accent.

The OP has not made a spelling mistake. They are in fact making a subtle joke that Hera will be the leader of the Rouge squadron. and the pilots will all be Twi'Leks. I find your tone to the OP a little unwarranted, to be honest, given that it is YOU who have missed this obvious connection.

rogue squadron was originally red squadron (at yavin)

I hope Disney does something different with this. I didn't like the twists EU made to connect Red and Rogue Squadron throughout.

The movies had Red Squadron at Yavin (Wedge and Luke were members, only survivors). Next we see Rogue Flight in snowspeeders at Hoth (Luke leads, Wedge a member). Finally we see Red Squadron again at Endor (Wedge leads, Luke not a participant).

EU wanting to keep Red & Rogue as the same group did this (leaving out details): Red Squadron, being destroyed, becomes Rogue Flight then later Rogue Squadron. During Endor, Wedge temporarily renames it Red Squadron again in homage to those lost at Yavin. Then it's back to Rogue Squadron again.

I never liked this myself. It was forcing the two together and confusing something that could have been much more simplified.  I like the interpretation that a "Squadron" or smaller "Flight" is named after the call-sign of whomever is leading it. As its most veteran survivor, Wedge became the new Red Leader and thus we see him leading Red Squadron at Endor. Commander Skywalker chose "Rogue" as his call-sign and thus when he leads the snowspeeder attack on Hoth this smaller group becomes "Rogue Flight". If he jumped in an X-wing and was chosen to lead a larger Starfighter squadron, it would be called, "Rogue Squadron".

I always thought the Naming of squadrons was specific codes for battles.

There would be nothing wrong with naming a squadron Red/Gold/Green/Blue etc outside of BoY and BoE

Rogue Squadron to me was a top line Fighter squadron that was often detached from Star Fighter command to do it's own missions, never really having a "Base".  While most other Sqadrons were assigned to a carrier group, or base.  And I could easily see "You are the only squadron available" forcing Rogue Squadron into protecting the base on Hoth.. maybe they made some Rebel General mad by killing his prized beagle

doesn't really matter.  Sometimes a name is just a name, and it is pointless trying to justify or connect them

Just heard this a spin off movie for 2016 ROGUE ONE..http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/rogue-one-will-be-first-star-wars-stand-alone-filmDOH... apparently my thread title is about makeup..  :wacko:**** spellcheck...  Can an admin please fix my title since we cant edit them!  :blink:

Clearly you have missed the third layer of this joke. "Rouge" is not actually French, but Twi'Lek (a language that is however identical to French). If you watch the scene in Jabba's palace where the Twi'Lek dancer is being dragged towards Jabba you can hear her exclaiming: "Non, ne me tuez pas!". And indeed if you watch TCW, all of the Twi'Lek characters have a Twi'Lek accent which is not a French accent (given that this takes place in a galaxy far, far away and a long time ago), but which is coincidentally identical to a French accent.The OP has not made a spelling mistake. They are in fact making a subtle joke that Hera will be the leader of the Rouge squadron. and the pilots will all be Twi'Leks. I find your tone to the OP a little unwarranted, to be honest, given that it is YOU who have missed this obvious connection.

Obviously I hadn't taken french in high school yet when Return of the Jedi came out (I graduated from highschool in 1994) so didn't realize that french was in fact identical to Twi'lek, and haven'the watched much of the clone wars series. Thank you for educating about this. My conversational french is also very poor since I haven't used it since 1993, I have had opportunity to read french since then. But I think this demonstrates that my suggestion to the OP is valid, namely that most people on these forums won'the understand his clever trans-language puns related to french, excuse me twi'lek.

Just heard this a spin off movie for 2016 ROGUE ONE..http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/12/rogue-one-will-be-first-star-wars-stand-alone-filmDOH... apparently my thread title is about makeup..  :wacko:**** spellcheck...  Can an admin please fix my title since we cant edit them!  :blink:

Clearly you have missed the third layer of this joke. "Rouge" is not actually French, but Twi'Lek (a language that is however identical to French). If you watch the scene in Jabba's palace where the Twi'Lek dancer is being dragged towards Jabba you can hear her exclaiming: "Non, ne me tuez pas!". And indeed if you watch TCW, all of the Twi'Lek characters have a Twi'Lek accent which is not a French accent (given that this takes place in a galaxy far, far away and a long time ago), but which is coincidentally identical to a French accent.The OP has not made a spelling mistake. They are in fact making a subtle joke that Hera will be the leader of the Rouge squadron. and the pilots will all be Twi'Leks. I find your tone to the OP a little unwarranted, to be honest, given that it is YOU who have missed this obvious connection.
Obviously I hadn't taken french in high school yet when Return of the Jedi came out (I graduated from highschool in 1994) so didn't realize that french was in fact identical to Twi'lek, and haven'the watched much of the clone wars series. Thank you for educating about this. My conversational french is also very poor since I haven't used it since 1993, I have had opportunity to read french since then. But I think this demonstrates that my suggestion to the OP is valid, namely that most people on these forums won'the understand his clever trans-language puns related to french, excuse me twi'lek.
This is true and a fair point - whether he was punning with French or with Twi'Lek which is coincidentally identical, his humour has probably been misinterpreted by most as a simple typographical error, which is a shame. Edited by knasserII

Anyway, moving on from mercilessly commenting on the OP's relatively simple thread typo... ;) Here is my prediction for Rogue Squadron:

Someone noticed that the Guardians of the Galaxy movie spun off from the Marvel movies, was a huge success. They then either sought or green-lighted a project which will do a "Guardians of the Galaxy" for Star Wars.

Expect an assemblage of comically dysfunctional pilots / crew who will have legally dubious backgrounds yet be deep-down gold-hearted reluctant heroes. There will be a physically powerful alien who has some comic understanding / intelligence difficulties, a fiercely independent female character and a flirtatious male who she likes but who she will initially rebuff (because whilst getting laid for a man is a good thing, a female must not be seen as "easy!") until he finds some way to appreciate her skill as a pilot / engineer / warrior. Two-thirds of the way through the movie there will be a slightly forced break-up of the team until they are re-united by their leader who realizes that deep down he is actually a hero type. This will surprise the audience who will have been cunningly persuaded that despite his obviously heroic qualities he's not up to the job because of the Hollywood trick of making him slightly untidy or showing him having casual romantic relations. If they want to go seriously hard-core with convincing the audience that he's a ne'er do well, we may see him have a drink at some point (but that's pretty extreme and only used when Hollywood really truly wants to portray a character as on the rocks). Regardless of technique, we will then be impressed and suitably moved when he discovers his heroic traits just in time to save the day.

Rumours that the plot of the movie involves an evil agent of the Empire seeking out a mighty Infinity Stone Khyber crystal with the power to destroy worlds to be placed in the Death Star, are probably exaggerated though. They wont want to make the movie too close to Guardians of the Galaxy. That would be copying. This will, of course, be an homage.

Edited by knasserII

Anyway, moving on from mercilessly commenting on the OP's relatively simple thread typo... ;) Here is my prediction for Rogue Squadron:

Someone noticed that the Guardians of the Galaxy movie spun off from the Marvel movies, was a huge success. They then either sought or green-lighted a project which will do a "Guardians of the Galaxy" for Star Wars.

Expect an assemblage of comically dysfunctional pilots / crew who will have legally dubious backgrounds yet be deep-down gold-hearted reluctant heroes. There will be a physically powerful alien who has some comic understanding / intelligence difficulties, a fiercely independent female character and a flirtatious male who she likes but who she will initially rebuff (because whilst getting laid for a man is a good thing, a female must not be seen as "easy!") until he finds some way to appreciate her skill as a pilot / engineer / warrior. Two-thirds of the way through the movie there will be a slightly forced break-up of the team until they are re-united by their leader who realizes that deep down he is actually a hero type. This will surprise the audience who will have been cunningly persuaded that despite his obviously heroic qualities he's not up to the job because of the Hollywood trick of making him slightly untidy or showing him having casual romantic relations. If they want to go seriously hard-core with convincing the audience that he's a ne'er do well, we may see him have a drink at some point (but that's pretty extreme and only used when Hollywood really truly wants to portray a character as on the rocks). Regardless of technique, we will then be impressed and suitably moved when he discovers his heroic traits just in time to save the day.

So, the novel X-Wing: Wraith Squadron? :P

"...they're doing it to me again, Wes..."

Kell tainer, mechanic, pilot, father was shot down by his wingman early in the rebelion.

Wes Janson, famus rebrl pilot- shot down Tainer Sr.

"Runt" massive alien, has issues controlling which of his personalities is in charge.

Face Loran, former imperial child holostar, arguably personal ly responcable for a 200% spike in imperial recruitment. Looking to pay off his karma by fighting for the rebels.

Tom phelan, a doctor whos alergic to bacta. More machine than man, now...

Piggy, a genetics expiriment that produced a superinteligent gammorian.

Female tatooine hotshot whos tired of being compred to luke skywalker.

Female antari ranger who wadhed out of flight school, but was taken on anyway in th he hopes of being tje next Skywalker.

bothan hacker who id almost as good as he thinks. But not quite.

Niece of admiral ackbar.

Son of general Cracken, rebel inteligence.

And Wedge Antillies, killer of Death Stars, who is supposed ti be in charge of this circus.

Then Im missing someone. Other than "lara".

...thats it. The sniper whos team was sent into an ambush by an imperial infiltrator.

With the late joiner, the imperial agent trying to bury herself in her cover to not be noticed by the sniper who's life she ruined... who's hitting on her persona. :3