Sign in to follow this  
Engine25

First Spinoff Film has a Title, and Episode 8 in 2017!

No JJ for Episode 8?

it's been known for some time that JJ wasn't doing 8 - I think he still producing on some level though

Yup Rian Johnson announced he'd write and direct the middle of last year.  He will also apparently be the writer of Ep9, but may not direct.

It's okay, though.  He's a way better director than JJ.

I'd love to see an older grizzled Wedge in this one since it sounds like it might be based around star fighter pilots. 

While that's not necessarily out of the question, I'd bet it's unlikely.  The original actor was offered but turned down Episode 7.  They could recast, but I doubt they'd want to do that.

Hm, first thought at the title was Wedge, but they've already announced it having a female lead, so I guess they're taking it a totally different direction, Rogue Squadron in the current time of the new movies? Hey, if that's the case maybe Dennis Lawson would come back for a role where Wedge isn't just sticking his head in and saying hello. Assuming it's still about an X-wing squadron at all, the only time the Rogue designation is used in the movies is the speeder squadron on Hoth. Fingers crossed that it's basically wall to wall dogfighting goodness.

I'd love to see an older grizzled Wedge in this one since it sounds like it might be based around star fighter pilots. 

While that's not necessarily out of the question, I'd bet it's unlikely.  The original actor was offered but turned down Episode 7.  They could recast, but I doubt they'd want to do that.

It was my understanding he turned it down because he wasn't really going to be doing anything other than basically being there to say "hey, look, wedge is back." Assuming "Rogue 1" is even about X-wing pilots and whatnot, if there's more of a role there he could come back for that.

In my mind, this movie is about Rogue Squadron, and that squadron is headed by a pilot who is not a dude.

Neither of those things are confirmed- they're pure conjecture on my part. But if they are true, they mark such a major departure from the previous 7 films that I'm excited. :D

Either the rumors were flat out wrong (likely) or this movie has a mis-leading title. The first spin-off was rumored to be centered around bounty hunters and perhaps young Han Solo. But with a title like Rogue One, I can't imagine it being about anything else than Rogue Squadron. Maybe Felicity Jones is playing the new Rogue One after Wedge left, or maybe she might be playing Princess Leia? Her looks aren't too far off the younger Carrie Fisher.

Rumor has it that the reason was because the role of wedge was too small. The movie had darned well better be a continuous montage of Wedge Antilles destroying things.

Either the rumors were flat out wrong (likely) or this movie has a mis-leading title. The first spin-off was rumored to be centered around bounty hunters and perhaps young Han Solo. But with a title like Rogue One, I can't imagine it being about anything else than Rogue Squadron. Maybe Felicity Jones is playing the new Rogue One after Wedge left, or maybe she might be playing Princess Leia? Her looks aren't too far off the younger Carrie Fisher.

I think this is a different movie entirely, as the Han Solo movie had some issues with the writer.

They asked the guy who played Wedge to be in Episode 7 and he said no. 

I'm thinking this film will either be about Wedge during the time of the OT, or Wedge's replacement as Rogue One sometime leading up to or around the time of episode 7. 

So Garth Edwards, the guy who directed that terrible Godzilla reboot is directing a Rogue Squadron movie. So I guess it will be all about how a rebel pilot is trying to get home to her family, and there'll be like 5 minutes of actual x-wing combat in the whole movie, that you only get to see in the background in little 5-10 second snippets.

I remember reading that Dennis Lawson hates Star Wars now. I don't think we're gonna be seeing him anywhere near an X-wing.

He doesn't hate it, just doesn't want a bit part. Too bad Disney will never toss him the X-Wing books and say "here's your script".

I remember reading that Dennis Lawson hates Star Wars now. I don't think we're gonna be seeing him anywhere near an X-wing.

He doesn't hate it, just doesn't want a bit part. Too bad Disney will never toss him the X-Wing books and say "here's your script".

Didn't he warn McGregor (his nephew) against taking the role of Kenobi?