DigitalChicanery

[Accessory] Rebels-style Sabacc Deck

dBXivLv.jpg

Hey All,

I've created a full Sabacc deck based (loosely) on the art from the Rebels episode: Idiot's Array.

UPDATE: 

I just received my physical deck from makeplayingcards.com and could NOT be happier.

6a5cce3b626040f170265d32eb64ee54.jpg

Check out that linen finish...

daf078e69721a101533ae9ac15f81043.jpg

UPDATE UPDATE (4/22/17): I've actually gotten a lot of messages regarding the deck files - Dropbox lost 'em along the way, so I've got an updated post on my site that shouldn't change: https://www.whothefisdrewcampbell.com/single-post/2015/04/22/Idiots-Array

Thanks!

Edited by DigitalChicanery
Bad links.

Unless these include how to install an RFID in the deck doesn't having a static deck defeat the whole purpose of sabaac?

Depends on the rules you're playing by. Like all things EU sabacc morphed over time from something simple and fun into something complex and grotesque.

So it's totally possible to play using normal cards.

Please take this as a gentle, and somewhat generic criticism.

Modern playing cards are highly developed and optimized for their purpose. They convey information (suit and rank) very visibly and make it easy to see. The cards can be held in the hand in various ways and still let the player determine the ranks. They emphasize the ranks, with the suits getting less real estate.

These cards spend almost all of the available space showing the suit (which is useless in Sabacc) and very little in showing the rank - which is useful. My opinion is that the font camouflages the rank information as well. (This is a fault of the Aurebesh script, of course.) This is a graphical failing of every Sabacc deck I've seen so far, which may be a reflection of the sheer number of ranks in Sabacc.

But as a producer/designer, this is also something I've struggled with artists before, where the presentation (which they are responsible for) can tend to trump the information transmission in graphical user interfaces (which I've been responsible for! :) ).

Just something to think about...

(edit: sorry - figured out that the central picture was rank related - very good.)

Edited by Streak

Streak, I actually don't disagree with any one point you've made (and appreciate the feedback).

As I mentioned, these are based on the only canonical appearance of Sabacc to date (from Star Wars Rebels):

1d32fba17c7ef3914f32e634b9358e05.jpg

The plain white version will be up soon. I'm just not a fan, so I wanted my deck to look more like card-chips.

I'm planning a nicer deck as well.

I should get my physical deck sometime in the next two weeks - Really looking forward to seeing what makeplayingcards can do. :)

Aside form the 0 card it looks like these cards are quite similar (in functionality also) to teh cards used in the kotor game series (the cards there also didn't morph in any way so I take it in the EU they morphed?)

Aside form the 0 card it looks like these cards are quite similar (in functionality also) to teh cards used in the kotor game series (the cards there also didn't morph in any way so I take it in the EU they morphed?)

The game you are referring to is Pazaak, which, while very similar to Sabaac, has it's own differences. Pazaak requires each player to gather their own deck to use as the + and - cards, with cards being drawn randomly from a standardized deck. You draw five cards from your deck, which can each only be used once during the entire game (first to win three rounds). In Sabaac, however, the deck is standardized for all players, and the cards shift randomly throughout play (I don't know much else, though). In both games, the point is to get closest to 21, with Sabaac allowing positive or negative 21.

In canon, Pazaak would have likely been the origin of Sabaac, given the similar names and play styles. Also, within each game there would be variations depending on region or preference, meaning that large differences could appear across the galaxy.

Also: very nice cards! Despite, of course, removing the 'randomness' of Sabaac, they're still realistic; in Rebels, the cards are almost certainly paper, meaning that variations of Sabaac (as mentioned above in this post) likely exist where it's more like Earth-cards.

Sorry for being such a nerd about this. I just learned some Latin mythology today, and the historical discussion afterwards over the origins of such stories got me in the 'mood.'

The original rules for the shifting phase have the dealer rolling a single D6, with the result of 1, 2, or 3 resulting in Shifting. A random card is selected from each player's hand and given to the dealer, who shuffles the selected cards and then re-deals them to the players.

So, playing with a physical "real world" deck isn't a problem (though the shifting mechanic is a pain in the arse).

Sorry to necro my own thread, but I thought it'd be better than starting a new one - The deck I had printed came in today and it's awesome. The quality of these cards is really impressive.

Photos, please. I'm really quite interested in seeing them.

Sorry to necro my own thread, but I thought it'd be better than starting a new one - The deck I had printed came in today and it's awesome. The quality of these cards is really impressive.

Photos, please. I'm really quite interested in seeing them.

I edited the OP with photos of the actual deck. :)

What a great set of cards! I have no idea how I missed these.  They are almost spot on of the deck they offered at SWC7.  Great work man!

Thanks! I actually got introduced to the guy that did the SWC7 deck while I was there and we compared cards - Was a lot of fun.

So I wondered what you did about a deck box for yours and a rule book.  I pulled the rules off Wookiepedia and am thinking I will put something together for my deck when I send it to the printers.  Also wanted to do a deck box but I don't have Illustrator.  Was thinking of using the silver geometric back of the cards for the main deck box design to keep it simple.  Maybe add some Aurabesh to it to give it that star wars flair. 

Totally love this and am going to order a set, but when I'm making the cards at the site, it gives me a warning that image is low resolution ... did it do this for you too?

It didn't... The image files from the zip are showing too low?

Mine are a touch grainy... Let me see what I can do about that... I'll post here when I've got it done.

What a great set of cards! I have no idea how I missed these.  They are almost spot on of the deck they offered at SWC7.  Great work man!

Thanks! I actually got introduced to the guy that did the SWC7 deck while I was there and we compared cards - Was a lot of fun.

So I wondered what you did about a deck box for yours and a rule book.  I pulled the rules off Wookiepedia and am thinking I will put something together for my deck when I send it to the printers.  Also wanted to do a deck box but I don't have Illustrator.  Was thinking of using the silver geometric back of the cards for the main deck box design to keep it simple.  Maybe add some Aurabesh to it to give it that star wars flair. 

Do it! I'm just using a plastic deck box that I got at my FLGS. I was thinking of repurposing a card box, but, of course the size isn't right for the number of cards.

The Star has a canonical value of -10 instead of the previous -17. The change was made in the canon novel Bloodline. Since your deck strives for accuracy, and is based on a canon rather than Legends deck, you may want to change it. You're welcome! Hope it doesn't cause too much trouble on your part.