Sign in to follow this  
Kager

Future splat books..

What sort of splat books would you like to see in the future?

I would like a module/splat book that involves a lot of information (maybe also takes place) on the Death Star.

What sort of splat books would you like to see in the future?

I would like a module/splat book that involves a lot of information (maybe also takes place) on the Death Star.

Have you seen the technical guide for the Death Star?  I know it is out there, but I haven't seen it myself.  If it is anything like the YT-1300 Technical Guide it will be extremely detailed.

Aside from that, I would enjoy one that gets a bit more creative with unknown and unexplored areas.  Tips on building new races, planets, and stuff like that.  Strange anomalies, stellar oddities, and a few new rule suggestions for explorers.  Frankly I found the fluff part of Enter the Unknown to be a bit sparse, vague, and unhelpful on those topics.

I really would love to see the different career books get priority. That way everyone gets their own signature abilities and more specializations to choose from. Once that's done I wouldn't mind seeing more region-specific books like Lords of Nal Hutta and Suns of Fortune, or theme-specific ones like the strongholds book that was just announced. But get the career books out first, please.

I really would love to see the different career books get priority. That way everyone gets their own signature abilities and more specializations to choose from. Once that's done I wouldn't mind seeing more region-specific books like Lords of Nal Hutta and Suns of Fortune, or theme-specific ones like the strongholds book that was just announced. But get the career books out first, please.

I think we are assuming that.  At least I was.  It isn't fair to have half the players with full access to all of their specializations and half not.

I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud or anything :) but if you want to speculate on what's going to be released in the foreseeable future, you need to look at what they've already released or announced.  Their supplemental books follow a pretty specific pattern so far.

Realistically, we can expect three types of supplements for the three games:

Career Sourcebooks - Sourcebooks that concentrate on one of the careers for the three games.  These are always 96 pages long and follow the same basic pattern (3 species, 3 specializations, 2 signature abilities, etc).

Current/Upcoming Career Sourcebooks:

EotE: Enter the Unknown, Dangerous Covenants, Far Horizons, Fly Casual

AoR: Stay on Target, Desperate Allies

FaD: None yet

What I'll call Setting Sourcebooks - These sourcebooks are all about adventure settings, such as sectors of space, or locations related in some way.  These books have the most flexibility as far as what they'll come out with.  I don't believe they have a page limit or a specific format, but I may have just missed it.

Current/Upcoming Setting Sourcebooks:

EotE: Suns of Fortune, Lords of Nal Hutta

AoR: Strongholds of Resistance

Adventure Modules - Pretty straightforward, these are lengthy adventures that can be part of any campaign.  I believe that so far, they all have 3 episodes, and are a lot more involved than adventures included with the Core Rulebooks, Beginner Games, or GM Screens.

Current/Upcoming Adventure Modules:

EotE: Beyond the Rim, Jewel of Yavin

AoR: Onslaught at Arda I

The number of Career Sourcebooks is finite, since each game has a set number of careers.  As long as FFG keeps the license, they'll eventually come out with sourcebooks for all the careers.  There's a possibility that they may come out with sourcebooks for new careers, but that doesn't follow the current pattern, so I doubt any are actually planned.

Adventure Modules are just that, adventures.  While some of them have information on new planets and the like, they seem to be limited to just the information you need to run the adventure, plus some campaign hooks and ideas on how to expand the story past the adventure.

That leaves the Setting Sourcebooks.  These are the most flexible, but so far, they seem to concentrate on collections of locations connected by a common theme, plus inhabitants, adversaries, species, etc.  Suns of Fortune is about the Corellian Sector, while Lords of Nal Hutta is on Hutt Space.  Strongholds of Resistance appears to be scattered across the galaxy, but all locations will be related as rebel planets or bases, at least that's how it appears.

If your wish list includes a book that fleshes out a particular sector of space, or one that contains a related collection of bases, locations, or something similar, then there's a realistic chance that they could come out with something like that, assuming they think it'll be popular enough.

If it includes, say, a campaign sourcebook, there's a less than likely chance that we'll see something like that in the next year or two, UNLESS it could be put into the same general form as the Setting Sourcebooks.  A campaign does have a setting, after all, and does include locations.  As comparisons go, we only currently have two types of these books: books dealing with a section of space (Suns of Fortune and Lords of Nal Hutta), and books dealing with related groupings of locations (Strongholds of Resistance).  That's not much to go on, so who's to say that they don't have a book planned around a campaign concept?

Of course, none of this necessarily mean that the current pattern of releases will hold up over time.  What I'm thinking, though, is that if they do release something outside the pattern, it'll be a lot further down the road.  This is because they've already planned out pretty much all of their line of sourcebooks, so I'm almost positive that they're going to finish their current plan before they dream up new stuff.

All very true Oggdude.  That is why I was thinking about the Wild Space Setting Sourcebook.  I imagine it to be similar to the other EotE ones.

Edit - Kinda working with the Enter the Unknown book in a manner similar to Fly Casual and Lords of Nal Hutta.

Edited by FangGrip

We can bet they will release the Technician sourcebook next, if they want to keep the Bounty Hunter for last. They might even be aware of potential tie-ins with Disney/LucasArt we aren't aware yet, maybe with the spin-off movies/TFA (a Boba Fett movie would justify keeping the Bounty Hunter sourcebook for last, and it's quite fitting that most of the F&D line will be released after TFA is out). I'm pretty sure some people are working on stuff that's related to the new Canon...

Edited by BarbeChenue

If FFG is looking to stretch the content out, splatbooks with playable species and planets, gear ships and droids and some adventure hook ideas would be a good source.  Bumping the number per book from 3-4 to more like 8+ per book would be preferable though.

Sourcebooks for playing in Old Republic, Clone Wars, New Movie Trilogy would all be welcome additions.

All very true Oggdude.  That is why I was thinking about the Wild Space Setting Sourcebook.  I imagine it to be similar to the other EotE ones.

Edit - Kinda working with the Enter the Unknown book in a manner similar to Fly Casual and Lords of Nal Hutta.

Yeah, a Wild Space sourcebook would definitely fit the pattern.  However, I'm not an expert in the EU, so I'm not sure how often Wild Space comes up in books, comics, and video games.  Both Corellia and the Hutts are iconic in the Star Wars universe, and we've seen a number of Rebel bases in the movies.

What I'm trying to come up with is the first setting sourcebook for FaD.  The play style of FaD seems to be centered around Force users exploring ancient ruins and recovering artifacts and holocrons.  So, I'm thinking that the first FaD setting sourcebook will be about ancient Jedi and Sith temples and ruins.  Tython would obviously be part of it, as well as any number of cool adventure sites with connections to the Force.  This is only speculation, of course :)

The way I see the source books is that you have the career books and then source books that connect to the core book they are associated with. Edge of the empire needs   more room for your freelancers to roam, hence setting books. Age of rebellion needs more information the civil war that's going on, so we get rebel bases and strong holds first, and I'm guessing the next will be empire strongholds and presences. The question then becomes how Force and destiny could be advanced. This makes me think that a 'sith histories and ruins' style book could be possible. And then a book focusing on Jedi training/ temples and history.  after all this we might get something akin to a "Star Wars Legacies" Series, winch would help play happen in the old republic(force and destiny connection) Clone wars (Age of Rebellion Connection) and ... well I'm struggling to find a edge of the empire legacy option...

What I'm trying to come up with is the first setting sourcebook for FaD.  The play style of FaD seems to be centered around Force users exploring ancient ruins and recovering artifacts and holocrons.  So, I'm thinking that the first FaD setting sourcebook will be about ancient Jedi and Sith temples and ruins.  Tython would obviously be part of it, as well as any number of cool adventure sites with connections to the Force.  This is only speculation, of course :)

Maybe Dagobah?  

I was a little surprised to see it in the Clone Wars cartoon, but it was a cool foreshadowing for meeting Yoda there in Empire.  The repetition implies importance, even if it's a relatively unknown location.

Yeah, a Wild Space sourcebook would definitely fit the pattern.  However, I'm not an expert in the EU, so I'm not sure how often Wild Space comes up in books, comics, and video games.  Both Corellia and the Hutts are iconic in the Star Wars universe, and we've seen a number of Rebel bases in the movies.

Well, since they changed up the format for AoR, perhaps all the timeline books will be put into FaD.  Shrug.  Who knows.

Maybe Dagobah?  

I was a little surprised to see it in the Clone Wars cartoon, but it was a cool foreshadowing for meeting Yoda there in Empire.  The repetition implies importance, even if it's a relatively unknown location.

Yeah, Daggobah and the Force cave!  Again, not being an EU aficionado, I'm not sure what legends or lore there is about Daggobah's importance or connection with the Force (I figure there has to be something going on for Yoda to spend 20 years there), but that would be an excellent addition to a FaD sourcebook.

I expect the only surety is the career books for each game.

I expect more adventure modules if the present ones sell well. If the present ones bomb then we will likely not see more.

I would not be at all surprised to see releases covering the current other four theatrical movie releases plus the fothcoming one(s), as well both tv series.

I hope to see more alien species, more creatures, more tech, more starships, etc. I expect that FFG will continue to mix these in each book rather than putting out a dedicated Alien source book or a Starhip book.

I hope they continue to draw on EU sources of information in designing these books even if it's "Legends" now.

With that said, I am hoping for an adventure book and the remaining two career books (Technician & Bounty Hunter) to come out over the next three quarters. I just got done running The Jewel of Yavin for my group and they had a blast pulling off the ultimate heist. Adventure books of that level of quality are what I am hoping for. JoY was a little tough to GM because there's just so many options and items in motion; however, it's all worth when everyone at the table enjoys themselves.

As I've commented in other threads, I hope they have a dedicated team working on EotE material instead of spreading the designers thin over all three Star Wars RPG products. If the later is the case then we may not see too much this summer and fall as AoR and FaD rev up. Especially Force & Destiny with "The Force Awakens" coming out at the end of this year.

I would love an FFG equivalent of the WEG Pirates and Privateers book and an accompanying adventure book

A Black Sun Sourcebook (Perhaps a book set in a sector whose government and local forces have been so thoroughly filled with Black Sun agents that they rule it in all but name since AFAIK there isn't a region of space officially controlled by Black Sun.)

A Corporate Sector Sourcebook

A Bothan space book if Bothawui isn't covered by the upcoming Strongholds of Resistance book

A Tapani Sector sourcebook

An Imperial strongholds book.

A Black Sun Sourcebook (Perhaps a book set in a sector whose government and local forces have been so thoroughly filled with Black Sun agents that they rule it in all but name since AFAIK there isn't a region of space officially controlled by Black Sun.)

Now you're talking! A Black Sun sourcebook would be aces and would definitely be appropriate for the Edge of the Empire setting.