Sign in to follow this  
melminiatures

So... the TIE/D, Z-95, Decimator and HWK are now canon.

Their are continuity errors between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings for goodness sakes.

He didn't achieve continuity between his two trilogies.  

Can you give examples of these continuity errors?

What a wood elf is.  What a goblin is.  What a Wizard is.

The biggest one had to do with the ring itself and it was so large that Tolkien re-released Hobbit with huge changes.

I will admit that the differences between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are very slight, and can easily be smoothed over with explanations like Bilbo didn't really understand what Wizard was.  But the truth is Tolkien meant one thing when he wrote the Hobbit, and then changed what things meant when he wrote the Lord of the Rings.

The Continuity Errors between Star Wars Movies are much much larger.  For example, Leia has slight memories of her mother like those a small child would have.  She said "she [her mother] died when I was very young."  Anekin was one of the best star pilots in the galaxy when Obiwan met him.  Obiwan's Jedi Master was Yoda.  Aunt Baru new Aniken well enough to see traits of him in Luke.  R2D2 has rockets in his legs!  Let's not even get into all the issues with the droids being their for both trilogies.

I am not saying that these continuity errors can't be explained, but they do interrupt the smooth flow from one story to the other.  I am sure I would have forgiven all the continuity errors

Their are continuity errors between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings for goodness sakes.

The biggest one had to do with the ring itself and it was so large that Tolkien re-released Hobbit with huge changes.

I will admit that the differences between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are very slight, and can easily be smoothed over with explanations like Bilbo didn't really understand what Wizard was.  But the truth is Tolkien meant one thing when he wrote the Hobbit, and then changed what things meant when he wrote the Lord of the Rings.

The Continuity Errors between Star Wars Movies are much much larger.  For example, Leia has slight memories of her mother like those a small child would have.  She said "she [her mother] died when I was very young."  Anekin was one of the best star pilots in the galaxy when Obiwan met him.  Obiwan's Jedi Master was Yoda.  Aunt Baru new Aniken well enough to see traits of him in Luke.  R2D2 has rockets in his legs!  Let's not even get into all the issues with the droids being their for both trilogies.

I am not saying that these continuity errors can't be explained, but they do interrupt the smooth flow from one story to the other.  I am sure I would have forgiven all the continuity errors

What was different about all those things in the two books (/sets of books)?  Is there some interesting article I can read to kill the last hour at work?

Obi-Wan saying that Yoda taught him when the prequels have him as Qui-Gonn's padawan. That's only one but you'd still think he'd have caught that. 

Well, you did see Yoda teaching younglings in Ep.2.

Obi-Wan saying that Yoda taught him when the prequels have him as Qui-Gonn's padawan. That's only one but you'd still think he'd have caught that. 

Well, you did see Yoda teaching younglings in Ep.2.

What's Episode 2?

Given how well Leia's adopted family knew Padme, it's safe to say her adopted parents told her A LOT about her mother.  Probably had a lot of holo-recordings of her they showed Leia, and were plenty able to convey a sense of her mother to Leia.  I'd say that would be enough to have 'slight memories' of her and still remain in alignment with what we saw.

As to Anakin being 'one of the best pilots in the galaxy'...well, it was clearly established in Episode 1 that Anakin was unusually prescient given his Force abilities, resulting in his being an amazing podracer as well as basically single-handedly stopping the entire invasion of Naboo.  (By luck?  Or by the force?  Well, we all know what Obi-Wan's opinion is the idea of "luck"...something that, in his experience, there is no such thing...)

As to Obi-Wans master being Yoda...eh...that's true enough.  From a certain point of view.  Of course, on the other hand, we know Obi-Wan has never stretched the truth before, amiright??

I don't really see the issue of Beru vs Anakin, either.  Again, Obi-Wan was there pretty much Luke's entire childhood - while a hermit, he obviously DID have contact with Owen and Beru.  He surely would have told them stories of his time in the war and Anakin.  At least, until they had the (almost certainly inevitable) falling out....

Given how well Leia's adopted family knew Padme, it's safe to say her adopted parents told her A LOT about her mother.  Probably had a lot of holo-recordings of her they showed Leia, and were plenty able to convey a sense of her mother to Leia.  I'd say that would be enough to have 'slight memories' of her and still remain in alignment with what we saw.

As to Anakin being 'one of the best pilots in the galaxy'...well, it was clearly established in Episode 1 that Anakin was unusually prescient given his Force abilities, resulting in his being an amazing podracer as well as basically single-handedly stopping the entire invasion of Naboo.  (By luck?  Or by the force?  Well, we all know what Obi-Wan's opinion is the idea of "luck"...something that, in his experience, there is no such thing...)

As to Obi-Wans master being Yoda...eh...that's true enough.  From a certain point of view.  Of course, on the other hand, we know Obi-Wan has never stretched the truth before, amiright??

I don't really see the issue of Beru vs Anakin, either.  Again, Obi-Wan was there pretty much Luke's entire childhood - while a hermit, he obviously DID have contact with Owen and Beru.  He surely would have told them stories of his time in the war and Anakin.  At least, until they had the (almost certainly inevitable) falling out....

You shouldn't have to make excuses to cover up continuity errors. One or two minor slip-ups are understandable, but those are pretty darn big continuity mashups.

The big issue with Leia remembering her mother is that she never said, "She looked beautiful in the holorecordings I was shown as a child, and my parents told me she was a kind person, but sad." The way she talked implies she knew her personally, by the language she used.

Anakin is pretty clearly demonstrated to be a very proficient pilot, true.

Obi-Wan's duplicity only serves to undermine his character. He's supposed to be one of those heroic, incorruptible Jedi, right? Shouldn't he be trustworthy? Shouldn't he be a voice of truth in the saga? His compounding lies only make him seem less like a mentor and more like someone who has problems being honest. This is not good.

Beru and Owen both talking like they personally knew Anakin, like they were actually relatives, is not a saga-breaking continuity problem, but it's certainly worth mentioning.

The biggest issue I have is that Obi-Wan described Anakin as "a good friend". Really? I don't see it, at least not in the films. He's always treated like a gifted student, not as a friend. ESPECIALLY in Episode II. Then in Episode III, when they're closer, there are still several moments where he acts petulant and moody. The Clone Wars went a LONG way toward creating this friendship between them, though. It makes the films seem more like flukes or the result of stress rather than Anakin being a brat toward his teachers.

What was different about all those things in the two books (/sets of books)?  Is there some interesting article I can read to kill the last hour at work?

Actually I think it is explained in the preface of the Hobbit.  I could be mistaken, but apparently in the first version of the Hobbit, Bilbo won the ring from Golum in their riddle contest.  But after Tolkien decided that Bilbo's ring was Sauron's ring of power, it became inconceivable that golum would have given the ring up willingly.

Another subtle difference that does remain is that Golum calls himself "my precious" rather than the ring.  The ring he only refers to as his "birthday present".

"Han Solo at Stars' End" copyright 1979

The fighters were primarily for interceptor service-or rather, Han corrected himself, had been a generation ago.  Early production snubships; Z-95 Headhunters; compact, twin-engine swing-wing craft.

the Headhunter has been canon nearly as long as the X-wing itself.