Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

Your dumbest Tournament Mistake

Played in a store championship this Sunday here in Orlando.   Was a fun day for sure, as peopel from all over Florida made the trip.  We had almost 30 people!  My first match I was nervous.  I always get nervous - at least the first match - all the pressure is on.  If you lose your first match you have a much smaller chance of making the top 8 - so the first match is huge.  I was playing Emon with a few proton bombs and two Y-Wings with BTL-Ion Turret and Seismic Charges.   It was a good blend of damage and fun.  Still I was so nervous I made a ton of mistakes.  Bumping my ships, missing bombs like crazy - screwing up initial movements that I practiced and KNOW work - but I still did them wrong anyway. 

But this had to be my dumbest mistake ever.  Halfway through an activation phase on my first match, I was about to move Emon when I realized I hadn't even set his dial - it was showing a 4K from the previous turn.  (He had a stress as a result).  I knew what that probably meant.  My opponent called the TO, who confirmed that he gets to set my dial for me.  (To be clear, I didn't SET it to a 4K, I just didn't do anything with it at all, but same result, since 4K was still showing).  I was close to the edge, and he set it to a hard turn, right off the edge.  He did apologize, and he didn't need to.  I wasn't mad at him at all, in fact he was really cool the entire game.... but man I felt so dumb!

So yeah - never flown a ship off the board ever - but bam, 1st game my firespray goes right off!   And because I didn't even set his dial!

What are your dumbest tournament mistakes?

Local Store Championship. Final table

I was flying Jonus brothers, set up on the left edge and moved two forward during the first turn. In the second turn of the game I intended to bank right into the table. I set my dials and promptly flew one of my defenders of the board with a 2 left bank.............

I did go on to win the game and the tourney though :)

Edited by Olimar

First round in the SC was against an oddball KAth + Jax + shuttle w/mara jade list, but it was beautifully flown

In the third turn, the shuttle ran smack into both B-wings and, B-wings being B-wings, it stayed where it was for more four more turns generating stress on at least three ships a turn

The mistake: neither of us recalled that Mara Jade does not stack :o

It was fine, though. My list was also incredibly stress heavy between R3-A2 and two Tacticians, so neither of us were preforming actions that game :P

Edited by ficklegreendice

Played in a store championship this Sunday here in Orlando.   Was a fun day for sure, as peopel from all over Florida made the trip.  We had almost 30 people!  My first match I was nervous.  I always get nervous - at least the first match - all the pressure is on.  If you lose your first match you have a much smaller chance of making the top 8 - so the first match is huge.  I was playing Emon with a few proton bombs and two Y-Wings with BTL-Ion Turret and Seismic Charges.   It was a good blend of damage and fun.  Still I was so nervous I made a ton of mistakes.  Bumping my ships, missing bombs like crazy - screwing up initial movements that I practiced and KNOW work - but I still did them wrong anyway. 

But this had to be my dumbest mistake ever.  Halfway through an activation phase on my first match, I was about to move Emon when I realized I hadn't even set his dial - it was showing a 4K from the previous turn.  (He had a stress as a result).  I knew what that probably meant.  My opponent called the TO, who confirmed that he gets to set my dial for me.  (To be clear, I didn't SET it to a 4K, I just didn't do anything with it at all, but same result, since 4K was still showing).  I was close to the edge, and he set it to a hard turn, right off the edge.  He did apologize, and he didn't need to.  I wasn't mad at him at all, in fact he was really cool the entire game.... but man I felt so dumb!

So yeah - never flown a ship off the board ever - but bam, 1st game my firespray goes right off!   And because I didn't even set his dial!

What are your dumbest tournament mistakes?

You're a great sport Crabbok.  All too often people blame everyone but themselves for their mistakes.  We all make them, and we can learn from them.  I hope you still had fun, because that's what any good TO is also interested in; making sure that the rules are upheld so the players can enjoy the game.

Continue to Fly Casual.

Tourney on Saturday, when I was playing against the D-Bag, I set the dial on one of my Academies to block the flight path of one of his Bs, not realising until I had completed the move that it left my TIE facing the very edge of the board with no way of not flying off next turn.  What made it worse was that at that stage of the game, it was one of the few undamaged ships I had left on the board :P

Worst mistake was at one of last year's Store Championships (SC), I ran a bad list consisting of 3 ships I had never previously played before.  Never a good idea to go into a competitive event playing ships for the first time (I didn't even know their dials). 

This year I was playing a TIE Fighter/Bomber swarm in an early SC, and in the first game I flew my only untouched bomber off the board by the horns with a 5K, had I just turned the darn thing, I might would have pulled out the win.  I lost 3 of my 4 games that day by one hull left on a large turreted ship (two Deci's and a YT) in each match.  I think I am either 0-7 or 0-8 in SC games at my primary FLGS... :blink:

Its my local SC, I'm 2-2 and a win will likely get me to the top 8. Third or fourth turn I have super-dash ioned in the corner and next turn he is off the board. But I have two 15pt A-wings in his way. One I know I can save with a 3 hard, but the other is iffy. Rather than just fly him off and make the ridiculously one sided trade of super dash for a prototype pilot, I try a 2 bank. He bumps into Dash and saves him. Dash proceeds to clean house and I lose the match having only taken out one or two talas.

Edited by Hooth

About six weeks ago at a SC I had switched lists around at the last minute, putting Advanced Sensors on Coran by swapping out FCS.  In my third game, I ran up against a Deci/4 Academies list and eventually had Coran pinned in one corner by bad flying on my part.  I must have spent 4 or 5 turns bumping him in to those TIEs trying to get clean...never taking an action.  I lost that match, but was lucky to sneak in by placing #8 after Swiss (and then getting hammered by the #1 seed and eventual winner).

I've now become used to taking an action first, before moving (if equipped with Advanced Sensors).

Last year at a Regional my opponent and I were both down to our last B-Wings, mine was a Dagger, his was a Blue. They were both full health or mostly full with equal remaining hit points. His did have AS but I still felt I had the advantage.

We were coming straight at each other in a joust where the maneuver for each of us clearly was going to be a 1 straight. Then, just as I was about to set down my dial I had a sudden epiphany, looked at the distance he was certainly going to be traveling and excitedly turned my dial to the 2K, confidently waited for him to reveal and move his ship. It was exactly as I expected, a 1 straight. I then revealed my dial, ready to move in for the kill and then he says "oooooh, you're not going to make that". He was right. I had not only misjudged it but it wasn't even close. I overlapped him by at least half a base width. So now we were touching nose to nose only I'm stressed and he's not. I tried to fly off at a green bank and barrel roll the next round to get further away but that lone round of getting shot and not returning fire did me in. Had I not gotten greedy (and badly misjudged the maneuvers) I probably would have had him.

I always forget to drop bombs. I love bombs so I take them now and then, but I always seem to forget to drop them lol. 

Well one time I forgot to drop a bomb that would have given me a full win. If I had dropped it, it would have hit Fel. That game ended with his Fel with one Hull left. Mod win for me. 

First tournament game flying the dread Chewbo Flying Saucer Squadron.

First turn of the first tournament game; misjudged the 3-bank.  Ended up flying my YT-2400 straight at an asteroid (literally finished my first move almost right in front of it.

Forgot the YT-2400 could barrel roll, which could have got me past it.

Next round I sharp turned away from the asteroid; took another two turns to get Leebo back into the game.  By which time Chewie had been all but wiped out.

Not my best day at the races.

At regionals last year, first round of the very first match I use Lt. Lorrir's banked barrel roll and land him off the board. A simple boost would have given the same arc positioning, but without death. It was embarrassing!

I forgot Mara Jade for an entire round one time. Don't know how it would have changed the game but I did lose. Looking back Mara would have gone off at least 3-4 times.

At regionals last year, first round of the very first match I use Lt. Lorrir's banked barrel roll and land him off the board. A simple boost would have given the same arc positioning, but without death. It was embarrassing!

You shouldn't have been able to complete that BR if you put you off the board. Same with boost. The only way you can fly off the board is with a standard maneuver. So still a mistake!

Edited by Jo Jo

I forgot Mara Jade for an entire round one time. Don't know how it would have changed the game but I did lose. Looking back Mara would have gone off at least 3-4 times.

You shouldn't have been able to complete that BR if you put you off the board. Same with boost. The only way you can fly off the board is with a standard maneuver. So still a mistake!

Not true. You can 100% action off the board. Boost, BR or daredevil will all do it. Cloak as well.

I did something similar in my SC two weeks ago. I set one Aggressor's dial but not the other, I sat there for a good while, just waiting for my opponent. He made movement and I thought, "Great, he's done! Activation phase." Then I noticed one of my dials was face-up. My heart sank. Luckily, my opponent still hadn't finished setting dials, so I was able to avoid any big problems.

That same game, it came down to my two Aggressors vs. his Whisper. I knew I had her cornered. I went to reveal my Segnor's loop ... and it was inexplicably a 3 bank instead. I was facing the wrong way. Whisper had only 2 hull when time was called. I think that mistake may have cost me the full win.

But my biggest mistake that tournament was against the BBBBZ list. I knew I needed to get behind the Bs, so I was going boost with Advanced Sensors before banking. After he sloppily moved all his Bs, I went to reveal my dial. I had forgotten what maneuver I had chosen, when I saw it, I realized I was supposed to use Advanced Sensors first. What I didn't realize, was that I could look at it and not reveal it so that I could still use Advanced Sensors. I ended up banking right into the line of fire instead of skirting around. It was awful.

First round of Store Championship. I'm flying Ten Numb + Mangler/Advanced Sensors/VI, a Tala and two FCS Blues against a Mini Howl swarm with Soontir. Time is starting to run low and he's wisely been keeping Soontir to the outside where I don't have a good chance to get Ten on him, but my chance finally comes. Ten has a rock in front of him, with soontir more or less dead ahead just outside range 3 as Planning starts. Soontir has to turn towards my opponents board edge to get a shot into the fight, so I plan to have Ten barrel roll towards mine around the rock and 2 bank in, figuring Soontir is going to hard turn into the fight. My guess was wrong though, and soontir made a bank instead. I still think I'm good, and I do my barrel roll, going backwards instead of forwards like my orignal plan, worried that a forward move would bump. I was also, however, worried that if I went all the way back I'd end up finishing my 2-bank on the rock, so I don't go all the back way... 

Soontir is something like a millimeter out of arc, Ten has no other valid shot that round. If I'd gone all the way back on my BR I still would have cleared the rock and had him in arc. Ugh. I end up losing that game by a margin of 13; That same round Soontir finished off the wounded Tala, and either that round or the following he bagged one of my Blues after it managed to whiff a target locked range 1 shot on a wounded TIE. I still could have pulled out a win, or possibly just a modified, if I'd just gotten that one more shot and guaranteed(mostly) crit on Soontir. The game ended with Howlrunner at 1 hull and soontir at 1 or 2, either kill would have flipped the game my way.

The whole day was close games leading to my 2-2 record. I lost the second mostly due to bad luck(lost Ten and a Blue from 3 hull due to Direct Hits, the final exchange was a range 1 shot between his Lone Wolf N'Dru with 1 hull, who'd been dodging fire for 3-4 turns now, and my Tala who still had 1 shield, he rolled a perfect 4 hits and I only got one evade), but kept it close due to good luck too(his Boba suffered 2 Direct Hit crits, one coming from the Tala at range 3, N'Dru spent half the game with Blinded Pilot because he wasn't getting shots either, Palob+bodyguard suffered an Injured Pilot crit in the first turn of shooting), and the third game for my modified win was another dice cluster close call(against BBBBZ, I managed to strip shields from 3 of the Bs while keeping them in an asteroid traffic jam but couldn't manage a kill until the last round where I finished off 2 to pull ahead by 7 points)... but that one missed opportunity in round 1 was definitely the biggest actual mistake in recent memory.

Back when Tarn and Fletchette torps came out I flew a BBXX with Tarn & Fletchette and Biggs. I had been out of town and unable to play at all for a month so my first mistake was bringing a list I hadn't tried once to a regional tournament. In the course of a tournament filled with mistakes there is one I remember above all others. I was flying against Soontir Fel, another high PS Int (probably Turr) and a naked bounty hunter. I was losing the game but I had a shot at the BH with Tarn, I had a target lock and I decided, since I hadn't let off the fletchette all day that I would spend my TL to do so now. Why not? Well.. because I rolled like ass and had spent my TL, thats why. I could have killed the BH and turned the game but instead I fired ordnance. That's the last torpedo I ever brought to a game. 

Not true. You can 100% action off the board. Boost, BR or daredevil will all do it. Cloak as well.

I've been playing that wrong for a year. Wow. Never actually done it that I could remember, but though you couldn't action off the board.

Flew my Chiraneau off the table in the first of the cut to eight in the local store champs. Never flown a ship off in my life before, asked my opponent to move my ship and sure enough, half a millimetre off the board. Oh well, seemed like a reasonable guy so went with it. Krassis still gave his fat Han a run but not enough. Good thing he went on to win the tourney. 

Otherwise lost the next Store Champs final by shooting at the wrong thing. Why on earth would I shoot at Dark Curse over Alpha's which haven't shot yet? They're even worth more points and do more damage?!

Anyway, I've figured out my game limit is six games, after that my brain turns to mush and I make basic mistakes.