Sign in to follow this  
Wes Janson

Imperial Star Destroyer Expansion - What do you want?

So when this bad boy ISD comes to light, which Star Destroyers do you want to see names on cards and what captains do you think should be present? I hope for;

Grand Admiral Thrawn (Commander)

Admiral Natasi Daala (Commander)

Lorth Needa (crew upgrade)

Gilad Pellaeon (crew upgrade)

Captain Dorja (crew upgrade)

ISD-II Chimaera

ISD-II Avenger

ISD-I  Right to Rule

ISD-I  Relentless

I am personally hoping for

ISD 1 Class

ISD 2 Class (which would have better shielding and weapons and would probably be faster)

For the commanders:

Captain Needa

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Captain Pelleaon

Admiral Kostantine (Admiral from Star Wars Rebels)

And lastly Agent Kallus ( He does command a star destroyer in the show)

For the Star Destroyer's:

ISD Avenger

ISD Chimera

ISD Relentless

ISD Devastator

ISD Lawbringer ( Agent Kallus's Star Destroyer)

I know there will be a debate over my view to include ships and characters from the new canon but it adds some merging between the two that I think most SW fans would be interested in. I'm also curious on how they will design the Star Destroyer, I personally think it will be a merge of an ISD 1 and ISD 2 taking traits from both ships to combine into 1 amazing model in my opinion.

I would like to see these commander/ship cards:

Grand Admiral Thrawn/Chimaera

Admiral Daala/Gorgon

Lord Vader/Devastator

Capt. Needa/Avenger

Capt. Pellaeon would make a nice crew upgrade or alternate commander. A couple other captains and ship names for variety would be great as well. Even if FFG made the names up just to create unique variants. A repaint would be nice too. Perhaps one that looks more weathered, as opposed to one fresh from the shipyards. I know Im going to have at least two, so a nice variation amoung them would be terrific.

By the way, a more weathered repaint variant could also be used for captured ships like the Errant Venture, Liberator or Rebel Dream.

I think Piett/Needa/Ozzel and Thrawn/Pelleaon are the most obvious characters for commanders/crew. Thrawn is EU, but since both Screed and Garm Bel Iblis were used in wave I, and given the very few on-screen commanders in the films themselves, all of these characters seem like reasonable additions.

I really doubt that we'll be getting more than one pairing in a box, though, so I wonder which it will be. I think Thrawn has to be a commander, and bring with him the Chimera title for an ISD; one or two of Piett/Needa/Ozzel/Pelleaon could be included as crew, with others held back for another release? FFG is going to have to ration out some commanders for subsequent waves that have less used ships, or ships with no associated commanders: after all, most of the known Imperial commanders led from an ISD.

I actually don't want Daala. I know she has a big fan following, but she's actually incredibly bad and unsuccessful as a commander until right up until the Darth Caedus era. Never seen the fuss about her myself!

I would like:

Thrawn

Piett/Needa (either/both would be cool, though i'd prefer Piett)

Pallaeon

ISD I+II (a given, no doubt here)

Avenger

Devastator

Chimaera

There's a huge amount of other upgrades, crew and officers they could add too. The ISD is the iconic Imperial ship, and a large amount of all the material ever seen involves them. If anything they wont have enough room for all the stuff they could potentially add :)

I wonder if they will do hero packs in the future like they did for x-wing. If they did you may not see Thrawn right away, though I think it's a certainty that we will at some point... My best guess is:

Piett

Pallaeon

Avenger

Devastator

Who knows though... could be almost anything.

Judging by the Victory and Gladiator expansions only having 1 New character and a couple of titles each, I'd say that the ISD expansion will be the same, unless they decide to make a massive deal out of it.

I'd put money on the character being Captain Piett or Pellaeon, with the titles being the Devastator and the Chimaera

Piett over Thrawn, more because FFG should steer a little back toward episodes IV, V, VI.

I would also like to see Jerjerrod in some expansion. Partially for personal reasons and partially because I'd like to see him do more that wet his pants in that one exchange with Vader.

An interesting upgrade for the ISD would be a tractor beam. Hold small ships in place, restricts medium ships movement/maneuver to 1. Ships could break away by expending all movement in a straight line  and forfeit their chance to fire that round. "All power to the engines!"

Perhaps a bonus for having engine techs, maybe ships are still allowed to fire.  

Judging by the Victory and Gladiator expansions only having 1 New character and a couple of titles each, I'd say that the ISD expansion will be the same, unless they decide to make a massive deal out of it.

I'm confident that the ISD will be a large-base ship, whereas the Victory is a medium. I'm guessing that this means that we'll also get more cards to go with it. That's how they do it with X-Wing.

I agree with clontroper5 and RedPriest they should definitely go with the items from the movies, so not including the Devastator while including Right to Rule and/or the Relentless would not be right, IMO. While I like Thrawn as much as anyone (though I think his cultural determinism is overblown), I think they should make sure to include the OT commanders/officers.

I'd also like for them to have tractor beams included as weapons upgrades.

Just for debate, why would Piett come with the ship title Devastator? Was his ISD not the Accuser before going to the Executer?

I figure they would save Piett for the Executor. Its gotta be coming eventually. ;)

Devastator is more because it's so iconic. Nothing to do with Piett, more to do with the fact that it was the first Imperial ship seen of the whole saga. It's the Imperial Tantive IV :)

And i'm not touching the Executor discussion with a bargepole....

And i'm not touching the Executor discussion with a bargepole....

**** I tried to fish for the SSD lol.

When I got into X-Wing, I did do the calculation of how big an ISD would be if it would be to scale. Based on the 1/270, it should have been just shy of 20 feet. Because X-Wing does have a sliding scale with its Huge ships, it would have been smaller.. 'only' 10 feet, maybe?

Anyway, it will be interesting to calculate what the slope of the sliding scale will be in this game, and how big that would make the Executor. But, that would be a mental exercise only. I'm more of an ISD fan than an SSD enthusiast.

Okay, enough trolling.

What were we talking about?

I actually don't want Daala. I know she has a big fan following, but she's actually incredibly bad and unsuccessful as a commander until right up until the Darth Caedus era. Never seen the fuss about her myself!

Very understandable. Seems like the higher rank she got, the worse she got. In her defense, she was fighting characters with multi-phasic plot armor and turbo-powered story-arc laser cannons. Despite that, she was very much like cetain real life generals through history. Thats why I see a great part for her and a counter part like Borsk Fey'lya on the Reb side.

For Fey'lya you might get a crew bonus due to his political popularity that stays intact until a certain damage level is reached. At that point the ship has to check for critical damage every time it is attacked. This simulates the crew loosing confidence in Fey'lya once they realize he's a fraud as a military commander. If he commands a fleet that wins a battle in a campaign, you might get double victory points since Fey'lya's supporters would be sure to advertise his role in the victory.

For Daala, you might get to inflict double damage due to her aggressive nature. Once a ship under her command begins taking damage, the Imperial player must roll for criticals every time it's attacked. This simulates her pushing her ships too hard without time for repair and refit, such as what happened to her first 4 ISDs. If Daala is in command of a fleet that wins a battle you might get double victory points for enemy ships she destroyed in the first two turns, normal points for any ship destroyed after that.

In each case you would have a good reason to take that admiral, but you you also get certain risks.

I think there will be a lot more characters being represented as crew upgrades than as commanders. We can already see in the base set that Princess Leia and Ysanne Isard are both crew cards, and they both have far more story importance than Bel Iblis or Screed.

The fact that Screed and his Gladiator made it into wave I indicates to me that FFG is trying to pace themselves, releasing ships tied to specific roles and commanders whenever possible. The Gladiator's role could be served by several ships: Lancers, Tartans, Strike-class frigates, but do any of those have established commanders associated with them? As this discussion has indicated, there's no shortage of Imperial fleet officers who could be made commanders for an expansion pack, but FFG clearly want to maintain as tight a connection as possible between the commanders and the ships they come with. Crew upgrades, however, are a little more general. Obviously, with an ISD, they have to pick not just commanders who make sense with an ISD, but those who make the most sense with one.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ozzel, Needa, Jerjerrod and Pellaeon as crew (I mean, it looks like we're getting Ysanne Isard and Admiral Chiraneau as crew, so it's obviously not dictated by rank or storyline importance), and feel like there might not be enough space for Thrawn, Piett and Daala as commanders, although if they do intend to do all three as commanders, it will probably be spread across multiple waves. Of those three, I think of Thrawn as being the most exclusively associated with the ISD, while the other two commanded a larger range of ships (although if those ships aren't going to be produced, that doesn't mean much). Personally, I don't care much for Daala, but she apparently served as fleet commander long enough to be considered. Then again, wave I included Motti and Screed, so fame and relevance clearly aren't the most important elements that go into being in this game.

At the end of the day, I doubt every Imperial we could hope to see will be included. The list of Imperial warlords is long; probably longer than the list of ships FFg wants to make, or the number of unique mechanics they plan to use for commanders. If Armada takes off and FFG wants excuses to keep printing money, I'm sure we could see re-releases of ships with different commanders, upgrades and crew, scraping more of the EU characters like Zsinj and Teradoc, but I don't think we can expect to see most of those characters in the next wave or two.

If the wave consists of only a mon cal and a sd, then the only choices for commander are:

Piett and Ackbar. (Period. I mean come on, they re the only two commanders tht go head to head in the OT fleet battle)

However, given these models will cost somewhere around $60 (Vic and af2 are $40), I sure as hell hope we get a deck of cards with them. Therefore we are likely to see two or even three commanders.

Additional imperial commanders:

Thrawn (most famous EU admiral)

Ozzel (with some sort of amusing but clumsy and stupid advanced deployment rule)

Rebel:

General Madine (he is in the card art)

Lando (he did command the starfighter wings at Endor)

Additionally crew imperial:

Captain that apologizes to Vader

Daala

Many other EU options for imperials.

Additional rebels:

Nien numb

Some random mon cal guy

... There really aren't that many non-star crews that I can recall...