Sign in to follow this  
RebelDave

When do you roll for Criticals?

This kinda spawned from the other tread about Damage, someone mentioned something that didnt get a clear answer, and rather than having it buried in that one, I figured I would ask it.

So... You can take Damage up to 2xWT. I assume that after that, you are assumed dead. (No problem with that).

The Book says on Pg 215 that when you exceed your WT you take an automatic Critical Hit.

If you then take MORE damage, before being healed, so damage AFTER the Critical for exceeding your WT... do you take another Crit? And keep taking them each time you take more damage?

Or, do you just take it once, since you only exceeded your WT the once? (Regardless of the fact you are still exceeding your WT when you take the extra damage.... youve ALREADY Exceeded the limit)

Did that make sense?

Note that the rules say "When a PC suffers wounds greater than his wound threshold... He also immediately suffers one Critical Injury.

It would seem to me that each time a PC suffers wounds, if his wounds are greater than his wound threshold, he suffers a critical injury. So hit -> damage -> crit. 

---

The rules make no mention of a character dying upon reaching the "maximum of twice the wound threshold." It is simply established as a maximum for the player's paperwork & record keeping. I find the idea of a PC dying upon reaching that maximum to be a very alien thing to this roleplaying system, and wouldn't encourage it. 

Note also that each crit suffered increases the next critical injury d100 roll by a cumulative +10...so I would just let the Critical Injuries do their job in the vast majority of circumstances. 

Fair point.

I simply assumed that if youve taken enough physical damage to render you unconcious (As opposed to Strain - Concussion, etc). that Doubling that would represent enough physical damage to kill you.

But true, that on top of Criticals seems abit over the top.

But additionally, something HappyDaze mentioned in another thread, that a player with a Higher WT, would be penalised, as they would require more Healing to get them back to the WT.

Strain is largely considered non lethal damage is why, I believe exceeding strain simply results in unconsciousness and incapacitation, though you would have a hard time opposing attacks that wound you laying on the ground in a heap and could quickly start racking up a lot of additional wounds and criticals that way, in answer to your question though additional attacks that hit PCs or Nemesis do not inflict an extra Critical when you exceed your strain threshold like they do for Wounds, though Rivals and Minions would due to their conversion of strain damage to wounds, if for some reason you wanted to track that among NPCs.

Keeping in mind attacks that deal strain damage can still critical on their own or environmental effects that inflict strain damage may inflict critical hits after you exceed your strain threshold.

Anything capable of racking up enough advantages on its combat checks to land criticals is particularly dangerous to PCs with critical hits being progressively worse with each one until healed, especially with the Vicious quality.  

Edited by Greymere