Sign in to follow this  
Jedhead

Interesting Strategy...

So, because I am bored...

https://images-cdn.f...ielddiagram.png

Check out this image (look very carefully at how the rebel player has deployed), and someone try to explain the Rebel commander's strategy to me.  Either he knows something I don't, or he is the worst navigator of all time.

I predict a turn one victory for the Imps without a shot fired.

That's meant to be an example of using minefields to control opponent's deployment and movement to force a favorable strategy. Yes, it's a little over the top, but again, it is meant to be an example.

We just found out stationary targets get no defenses, so maybe ones moving at very fast rates get extra ones. With Mon Mothma on the table, potentially the swifter rebel force could blow past the Victories while soaking the worst of enemy fire (they don't have to worry about the TIEs) and pump shots into their arse while they slowly try to come about.

Edited by withershadow

Ah, lol, now I see it. Maybe they are playing an attrition campaign and the Rebel is preserving his forces by ceding the territory without losing any resources. :P

Or what if when you leave the board edge, you come out on the opposite board edge (you are fighting right above the atmosphere of a planet), so those Rebels are about to assram the hell out of those Imperials!

Edited by withershadow

Not only the capitals, but the xwings seem to be facing the wrong way, too. Granted they can fly in any direction... It seems like this was deliberately done. Anyone know of a mission where one fleet starts behind the other?

Not only the capitals, but the xwings seem to be facing the wrong way, too. Granted they can fly in any direction... It seems like this was deliberately done. Anyone know of a mission where one fleet starts behind the other?

I think it was more likely laziness of whoever drew the diagram in cutting and pasting existing ship images and not bothering to rotate them if it was only going to be a "low res" web image.

Haha I noticed this when I first read the article. At first I thought I was just mistaken, but I looked closer at the X-Wings and they were really obviously pointing downward. You can also tell based on the front arcs of the Corvettes.

The classic tactical Ostrich formation. Any good Captain of War knows that if you can't see them...

I'm sure it will work out fine.

Aaah, of course!  I should have seen it...the old Tactical Ostrich.  I mistook it for the Opossum Feint, which is inferior in every way, but now that you have pointed out the subtle differences, I have confidence in the Rebel fleet once more. 

If Star Wars were real and I was the rebel fleet commander I can only think of a few easons to set my fleet up that way.

1: We got ambushed

2: We are running like hell

3: We are luring the Imperial fleet into an ambush.

4: We are luring the Imperial fleet away from the planet to allow other ships to either escape the planet or reach it.

5: There are other rebel forces off screen and we are trying to force the Imperial fleet to divide into smaller forces to engage each group.

Bot I doubt any of the above conditions apply in Armada, with the exception of the Imperial fleet ambushing the rebels, so it looks like the Rebel player just really screwed up.