Sign in to follow this  
player1761766

The Great Devourer

I can see why they waited before releasing this with the core. Looks like completely different mechanics and win conditions. I think this will be the thing hat keeps this game fresh and more narrative than just a competitive card game. 

Can't wait.

Definitely, it makes much more sense now why Tyranids (One of the most iconic factions in 40k) were not included in the Conquest core set. It looks like they work very differently from the other factions. 

It looks like they are putting in Sisters of Battle, in Astra Militarum as expected, but the only distinguishing trait is "Ecclesiarchy" rather than Sororitas or something designating the Sisters specifically.

Can't wait for this to be released! :D

Can't wait to see how this works with the game we have so far.

Now this is where I hope I don't half to buy 3 boxes to get three copies of cards!

Edited by Silverhelm

The Tyranids mechanics look interesting. I can really see why they weren't included in the Core Set. I really like the Synapse unit. It gives an advantage early game, but it can be double-edged sword also. In the case of the Savage Warrior Prime, there will be sometimes you don't want to fight at 2 different planets for X reasons, but will have to. Also, the Savage Warrior Prime doesn't help to win Command Struggle since it doesn't have any command icon. It counts as a Warlord only when determining initiative for battle and that's it. 

I was talking to a friend earlier and he was saying the Tyranids were broken because of the Synapse. I pointed out everything I said earlier, the fact the Warlord shown start with 6 cards and 6 ressources only and also they cannot ally with anyone. Yes it is strong to have 2 units right off the bat, but I feel the first two turns might be really important for that faction more than any other.

Only time will tell if I'm right or not. :)

Edited by timezero

It's really tough to say too much about the synapse creatures until we see the full rules about how they behave.  The only real things we know right now are that they deploy to a planet each turn using a separate dial from the warlord, and you get one in play from the start of the game.  We know that the Savage Warrior Prime acts like a baby warlord picking fights on other planets.  We have no idea what the other four synapse creatures even do.

We can probably assume that the synapse creatures return to HQ each turn like the warlord.  Whether or not they can retreat instead of striking in combat will make a big difference in their longevity.  If they cannot, they will be very vulnerable to sniping.

Synapse creatures also lack the protection that warlords have vs. many abilities.  On the plus side, they are not army units, so they still get protection from anything that can only target army units.

Off hand, I would be quite tempted to run a couple copies of Fall Back in the deck for the express purpose of keeping my synapse creature alive for a few extra turns.  That is of course under the twin assumptions that Tyranids can use neutral cards and that synapse creatures actually go to the discard pile when they die (to meet the conditions of Fall Back).

Yeah I agree. I just pointed what seemed obvious to me with the limited informations we have so far. Synapse units are not Warlords, but they will each act as one for specific situations and since they are releasing 5 Synapses, I think it will be a very good customization tool. Two ''Old One Eye'' decks might play very differently because of the Synapse they chose.

With Savage Warrior Prime, good luck to keep a Rogue Trade/Void Pirate/Eldar Survivalist alive. You will win the command struggle for one turn, but that guy will hunt them down and possibly ''Infest'' the planet each time.

My guess for the neutral cards is Tyranids will be able to only use non-army cards. Welcome Fall Back if i'm right. :)

Edited by timezero

Huh, that is a different direction than I thought they would go with the Tyranids, but I think I like it anyway.  And I'm excited to get them in the game at all, since they and the Necrons are two of my favorite factions from the miniatures game.

Just noticed stalking lictors is synapse as well. Guessing we will get a zoanthroap (or maliceptor), a swarm tyrant (or tervigon) will spawn tokens, maybe a winged hive tyrant or tyranid shrike.

I'm pretty sure second warlord will be swarm lord or red terror.

Really happy we finally have spoilers. Only sad part is no necrons for at least a year. But it was smart of ffg to release cards for the other factions and chose tyranids first.

I'm thinking tyranids will get non army neutrals so tyranid players have a reason to buy the core set

I'm thinking tyranids will get non army neutrals so tyranid players have a reason to buy the core set

That's an interesting point, this could very well be the first deluxe expansion that someone might be able to play with even if they don't own the Core Set. They wouldn't have any of the planets or tokens, but if they might be able to rely on others to bring those to games (or find someone with multiple core sets and get a set of their extra stuff).

I feel like fluff-wise, Tyranid with Void Pirates and Rogue Traders would feel pretty strange, though I think an argument could be made for allowing them to use the other neutral cards. Given that the spoiled Synapse is Elite, Tyranid could certainly get good use out of Fall Back (assuming dead Synapses even go to the discard pile), so it'd be nice to have that option. 

Congrats to those who were predicting that the first deluxe would include only one new race:) I myself was hoping for both Nids and Necrons, but now I must admit that releasing one but more developed race is definitely more reasonable. The two warlords were easy to predict though, and I think that the next cycle won't include any of them, just to let Necrons catch up with the rest.

But lack of new planets is quite disappointing...

Edited by Stereochild

Hmmm, exciting. Never was a big fan of nids, but I am a sucker for decks that play differently that the game's standard rules(Magic dredge, anyone?).

Intriguing bit about synapse creatures too. Are they essentially a signature squad or in addition to signature squad cards? If so, are there certain cards you must include depending on whom your synapse creature is? The article makes no mention at all of these things.

That's an interesting point, this could very well be the first deluxe expansion that someone might be able to play with even if they don't own the Core Set. They wouldn't have any of the planets or tokens, but if they might be able to rely on others to bring those to games (or find someone with multiple core sets and get a set of their extra stuff).

I feel like fluff-wise, Tyranid with Void Pirates and Rogue Traders would feel pretty strange, though I think an argument could be made for allowing them to use the other neutral cards. Given that the spoiled Synapse is Elite, Tyranid could certainly get good use out of Fall Back (assuming dead Synapses even go to the discard pile), so it'd be nice to have that option.

There's a enormous amount of "strange" in this game, best thing to do is ignore it and pretend it was a good idea.

Intriguing bit about synapse creatures too. Are they essentially a signature squad or in addition to signature squad cards? If so, are there certain cards you must include depending on whom your synapse creature is? The article makes no mention at all of these things.

The way the article reads. You will choose a warlord (standard 8 signature cards). You will also choose 1 of the 5 synapse creatures which will start in play in the hq with your warlord. Synapse creatures will not have a signature squad.

A few things we don't know yet:

Will synapse creatures return to hq or stay at planet? (I would guess return to hq)

So synapse creatures have hale/ bloodied or do the go to discard? (I would guess discard)

Do synapse creatures count as part of your minimum 50 cards? (I would guess no since they start in play)

When will The Great Devourer be released? (After gift of Isha/ before 1st pack of new cycle) so hopefully July

Do synapse creatures count as part of your minimum 50 cards? (I would guess no since they start in play)

When will The Great Devourer be released? (After gift of Isha/ before 1st pack of new cycle) so hopefully July

Eeh, warlords are part of their respective decks AND start in play, so they will definitely count.

The article states Q2.