Sign in to follow this  
chemnitz

No Defense Tokens at Speed 0

As I was reading through the Danish review of Armada (http://www.papskubbe...tar-wars-armada) and looking at their pictures on Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/bojoergensen/16096456074/in/set-72157650754332629), I noticed an interesting new rule tucked in there.  On the "Defense Tokens" reference card, it says: "He cannot spend any defense tokens if his speed is 0."  That is an intriguing rule!  The implication is that each player has a very strong motivation to keep moving.  So, if you decide to slow your speed down to 0 and sit your Victory SD next to an objective (such as in Contested Outpost or Fire Lanes), the trade-off is that you are losing the use of all of your defense tokens.  That is a pretty huge risk.  Overall, I like that the game encourages a battle of maneuver rather than turtling over objectives--it is much more exciting and dynamic.

I love this rule.

While I agree with the thematic argument about redirect and brace being totally feasible while stationary, you could make the counterpoint that the attacker could have even more precise firing solutions against a target sitting in place? I don't know - theme completely aside, I am very happy to see this in the game.

("Joke" warning...)

Hmmm....  Have we seen anything able being able to fly backwards? The Centauri Imperial retrograde sounds like a fine tactic to circumvent the imminent Mad Akbar Slashers

(On Topic)

Evading / Dodging would be pretty difficult at zero speed.  :ph34r:

Maybe the opponent can really drill down -- hard -- on that target shield, too.  Making a redirect impossible.

And I'm not sure how they explain the Halve Damage effect.  Emergency Power to shields?  Electronic warfare spoofing the attack?

I also agree that going speed 0 would make the game a complete drag.

As would the Imperial Retrograde!

Woah, that is a fairly big development actually. Good catch, guess I won't be parking any VSDs next to objectives then...

Never say never :P

If a Vic had its full sheilds and health, and did a repair command each turn, plus got a repair command from Tarken... hmmmm

I like it. Even though you could argue it's easier to hunker down while stationary, you're also completely surrendering the tactical situatoin to the enemy to now scitter around doing whatever they want.

I do hope when the ISD comes out though that we see an ability to sit and weather a bit more efficiently as lore wise that was more what they were designed for, to work as a mobile siege tower or carrier - letting long range turbolasers and squadrons do the work for them. Cause to make them keep moving when its tactically disadventagious is a bit unfair really when thats not how they were designed to fight.

I do hope when the ISD comes out though that we see an ability to sit and weather a bit more efficiently as lore wise that was more what they were designed for, to work as a mobile siege tower or carrier - letting long range turbolasers and squadrons do the work for them. Cause to make them keep moving when its tactically disadventagious is a bit unfair really when thats not how they were designed to fight.

But turtling down in your deployment edge (your back to the edge) so that if your enemy wants to do an attack run they will fly off the board and your rear is never exposed is not fun at all for your opponent. So making sitting still a disadvantage is not bad for the game at all.

Also just move at speed one.

Seriously I can see some really stupid ugly strategies players would use if they could just park with no penalty. Don't encourage bad play styles.

Edit: Also aside from the Battle of Endor the Star Destroyers were always moving in the movies and even at the Battle of Endor they had strict orders to hold their position. The officers wanted to engage the Rebels up close. So by what we have seen the ISD's don't sit still but rather try to get in close to have its full fire power take out the enemy. (The empire never really concerned itself with trying to protect its SD's, they had hundreds of thousands of them.)

Edited by Beatty

But turtling down in your deployment edge (your back to the edge) so that if your enemy wants to do an attack run they will fly off the board and your rear is never exposed is not fun at all for your opponent. So making sitting still a disadvantage is not bad for the game at all.

Also just move at speed one.

Seriously I can see some really stupid ugly strategies players would use if they could just park with no penalty. Don't encourage bad play styles.

Thats where the beauty of the objectives system comes into play. I am certainly not suggesting turtling with your back to the edge, as that would never win any objectives (except maybe the "blow stuff up" orientated ones - but even then a stationary ship cannot turn, so your opponent could easily focus fire on a single flank to take it out). This is where I see Armada being a huge step up from X-Wing, that yes, in X-Wing such a suggestion would be horrible for gameplay, as it could be very difficult to beat if you had a big front firing arc throwing out heaps of dice. (mind you, remember the Huge ships, they could stay still or go **** slow and they died like noones business if everyone fired at them). But when the goal is often about controlling an area of the board, the Star Destroyer would "have" to move out of its deployment zone to get there in the first place.

What I am suggesting though is that if there was a strategic point on the board that the Imperial player wanted to dominate, like the outpost control mission, then parking up a Star Destroyer there should actually be a viable strategy to create a zone of control, as that is what an Imperial commander would do. However, they would then have to ensure that they had the support in the rest of their list to stop opposing forces from flanking the ship and getting those rear shots.

Thats why I said what I did, that I hope the Imperial class comes out tanky enough that if it isnt going to get the use of its evade tokens, that it could actually fill that role which it was designed to do. Perhaps it will bring in some extra upgrade cards to add armour or protection to allow it to do so that could then retrofit the Victory classes.

I think it would give the Imperial player more options, but also work for the Rebel player too.

If the Star Destroyer is stationary, then you can very easily fly past it at just outside long range and avoid its fire whilst you collect up the rest of the objectives on the board and its support craft - then come and hit it where it hurts when it can't defend itself.

Edited by MaverickNZ

Well, not all objectives require collecting tokens, or offer any points benefit at all even. If a SD could sit tight, with tarken, and just use redirect and brace tokens with double engineering it would be incredibly annoying, and unlike in x wing where there was just one pool of HP, there's 4 here. So unless you are sitting put as well, by moving your naturally spreading the damage around the ship. So to really focus down a section you yourself might have to be stationary, and at that point its just a dice off, which is no fun for anyone. Making it a tradeoff to sit still or move, means you have to think about the virtues of parking or maintaining your survivability

i dont think that you can doubles of tokens, or play 2 of one token in the same round

You can't if I remember the article correctly, but you can use a command and the same type token, so taken hands out engineering and you flip an engineering command, which let's you repair 3 shields if I remember the chart correctly

i dont think that you can doubles of tokens, or play 2 of one token in the same round

You can't if I remember the article correctly, but you can use a command and the same type token, so taken hands out engineering and you flip an engineering command, which let's you repair 3 shields if I remember the chart correctly

You wouldn't be able to do that for very long (unless you had Tarkin I guess) but using a token and a command is possible.

You can do a command and a token at the same time as mentioned in the command article to perform more advanced engineering repairs, but you can't do two tokens because you are only allowed one token of each type (apparently - not sure where that came from). So with Tarken he would either have to pick a token the ship doesnt have one of already, or the ship would have to have no tokens.