Sign in to follow this  
xanderf

Scum Firesprays cannot fire primary attack backwards?

Oh, I've no doubt it's a mistake.

The problem is what do you do as a TO when a player argues 'but I never would have moved there if the enemy could have fired at me, I was just playing by the rules as written which says they cannot'.

Technically, such a player (while simultaneously being a massive toolbox) would not be wrong, as things stand.

And that's...annoying.

Issue a preemptive ruling, at TBD beginning of the tournament, before any maneuver dials have been set. Put the rulling in writing, with the explanation that you think FF made a mistake, and why you think so.

Don't wait for it to be an issue.

This is simply a typo/mistake/printing error.  It'll simply get fixed with reprints later and errata'd.  Guys, the world is not ending.  Even Magic which has a very high standard of ensuring each word is legally printed corrected makes a mistake about once every 2 or 3 releases.  Players understand.  

Its not like the names of the pilots got mixed up.  That would be laughable.  And barely errata'able. 

The problem is what do you do as a TO when a player argues 'but I never would have moved there if the enemy could have fired at me, I was just playing by the rules as written which says they cannot'.

Technically, such a player (while simultaneously being a massive toolbox) would not be wrong, as things stand.

And that's...annoying.

There is more than 1 type of wrong here.

The rules are for X-Wing are not the 10 commandments that can not and must not be challenged. Inconsistencies do exist, which is why we have FAQ's and clarifications in the first place.

All game rules must be looked at through a lense of ... lets go with internal consistency because I can't think of a better phrase. If I have an ability, it costs points, it has to do something. It has to make sense.

If two interacting rules are contradictory or mutually exclusive, then, we look for precedence that might give us a clue as to how to resolve this particular situation.

To use the Lone Wolf as an example, we had the rulings of 'Your ship is considered a friendly ship to yourself' and 'You gain rerolls if you are not within range of friendly ships' - It's pretty obvious that these result in you never getting rerolls because you are always in range of yourself, and it's pretty obvious that it's the mistake is on the side of the Lone Wolf card. That's not to say the FAQ shouldn't have been made, or that the text shouldn't have been changed. It means that looking for those sorts of faults and trying to exploit them in twisted-but-technically-not-incorrect ways is just trying to exploit the game in the same way you might exploit bugs in video games. 

This is a similiar example. If Kath gets an extra dice when firing out of the auxiliary arc, it's indirectly stating that she has a rear arc to fire out of. To claim that she doesn't because there isn't a couple of arrows around the attack value is ignoring the internal consistency of the game.

We need to travel to ffg HQ and burn our firesprays in protest!!!

Yes, that'll show em!!

(Do you think they'll have replacements to sell us before we go home?)

Well of course they have excellent customer service :)

"Auxiliary Firing Arc

Each ship in this pack has an auxiliary firing arc identified by dotted lines printed on its ship token. These ships also have a unique primary weapon icon printed on their ship cards. When attacking with its primary weapon, a ship with this icon may attack an enemy ship that is within range 1-3 and inside its standard or auxiliary firing arc.

When attacking with a secondary weapon, the ship must still target an enemy ship inside its standard firing arc (unless otherwise specified on the upgrade)"

Was thinking bout running a Scummy Fett build at the championship in a couple weeks. May have to reconsider as I don't want to waste time practicing with it if I can't use it to its full capabilities. As of now it's at least house ruled at me casa that you can use the aux.

Came in expecting a ridiculous topic; was surprised at OP's original catch on the firing icon for Scum Firesprays; learned that the Imperial Firespray even had a different primary attack icon.

11/10, would read again and am still reading. Well done, TC, well done.

Was thinking bout running a Scummy Fett build at the championship in a couple weeks. May have to reconsider as I don't want to waste time practicing with it if I can't use it to its full capabilities. As of now it's at least house ruled at me casa that you can use the aux.

I cannot imagine anyone would try and stop you from using the aux arc with your primary. If they do you're dealing with a win at all costs player, they don't deserve your time anyway.

And that's...annoying.

Issue a preemptive ruling, at TBD beginning of the tournament, before any maneuver dials have been set. Put the rulling in writing, with the explanation that you think FF made a mistake, and why you think so.

Don't wait for it to be an issue.

THIS.

Look, we all know it was simply an oversight. the rules insert that came with the firespray 31 (original) say it can make primary attacks out of it's rear arc.  The rear arc is printed on the ship token as well.  We all know it can shoot it's primary in either arc, and as pointed out, kath's ability would be worthless if it could not (hotshot excluded, maybe) 

Yes, FFG should have been more careful, but I think a little common sense applies here, and if I were a TO, I'd be tempted to slap someone upside the head for suggesting that it could not fire rearward.

"Stwike Him Centuwion, vewy woughly!"  Pilate- Life of Brian

Look, we all know it was simply an oversight.

Literally no one here is arguing otherwise--yet, anyway. The question is whether it's an oversight that's binding on TOs, should a player try to insist on the rules as written.

On balance I think the answer is overwhelmingly "no"; this is one of those rare cases where the designers' intent is perfectly clear (due to Kath's ability, the auxiliary arc printed on the base insert, and the text of the rules insert in Most Wanted). But it's not a silly question for a TO to ask ahead of time.

What's more likely:  that FFG forgot a tiny little icon on the pilot card that plenty of people never realized was on the Imperial version to begin with, or that they misprinted thousands of Scum Firespray pilot tiles with an auxiliary firing arc on them?

Seriously, this "FAQ OR IT'S THE WAY I INTERPRET IT" crowd really needs to get a dose of common sense.