Sign in to follow this  
Embir82

Descent 2ed. - Skirmish Rules

One of the great things about Imperial Assault is its Skirmish Mode. Many times I looked at my Descent 2 ed. masive collection of figures only to realise they will never be used on the larger scale.

So, recently I stumbled on this article.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/c2/c5/c2c55d33-6c4f-4dd7-881a-97ffe584daf7/swi-tournament-rules.pdf

What do you think, is there any chance FFG will introduce some skirmish rules to Descent 2ed.?

How awesome it would be if you could play Descent 2ed. not only as a campaign but also in skirmish mode, with tournaments and competitive organized play.

Dear FFG, please, don't forget about your Descent players. Give us some of the goodies you introduced in Imperial Assault!

Unlikely. Imperial Assault was designed with Skirmish Rules in place from the beginning, in order to classify it as a miniatures game (was required for them to use their Star Wars license, since they aren't licensed to make board games for Star Wars, just miniatures games). Descent was not designed with such rules in mind, and any attempt to do so would likely be a poor hack job.

I don't own IA, so I'm not familiar with the skirmish rules, but I'm guessing it's basically some sort of point-buy system to build a custom force and do battle?

I don't know how classes work in IA, but the biggest problem I foresee in assigning point values to heroes for such a skirmish mode in D2 is the balancing of points to power - not only for every hero available - but for every hero+class combination available. Monster groups and LTs would be comparatively easy, but still a fair bit of work to get it "right."

After all, as has been said before, Avric the Disciple is awesome, but Avric the Spiritspeaker is not so hot. Mok as a Spiritspeaker can be pretty cool though. So clearly, we can't just assign one point value to Avric (or to Spiritspeaker) and let that stand for every class (or hero) it can be combined with.

Edited by Steve-O

I don't own IA, so I'm not familiar with the skirmish rules, but I'm guessing it's basically some sort of point-buy system to build a custom force and do battle?

I don't know how classes work in IA, but the biggest problem I foresee in assigning point values to heroes for such a skirmish mode in D2 is the balancing of points to power - not only for every hero available - but for every hero+class combination available. Monster groups and LTs would be comparatively easy, but still a fair bit of work to get it "right."

After all, as has been said before, Avric the Disciple is awesome, but Avric the Spiritspeaker is not so hot. Mok as a Spiritspeaker can be pretty cool though. So clearly, we can't just assign one point value to Avric (or to Spiritspeaker) and let that stand for every class (or hero) it can be combined with.

The only way to fix that is by assigning a fixed class to every character, or determine an amount of points for every combination (too much work).

The only way to fix that is by assigning a fixed class to every character, or determine an amount of points for every combination (too much work).

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

Assigning a fixed class to each hero also has its problems - namely that there aren't enough classes for every hero in the game (if you're using the CK or any of the H&M packs.) So, picking one hero for your team eliminates a number of other options from consideration for all players, which in turn complicates the process of players selecting their teams.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

Assigning a fixed class to each hero also has its problems - namely that there aren't enough classes for every hero in the game (if you're using the CK or any of the H&M packs.) So, picking one hero for your team eliminates a number of other options from consideration for all players, which in turn complicates the process of players selecting their teams.

Or each class could have it's own value and each hero could have his own value.

We have heroes, lieutenants, tiles (although i would love to have playmats like the ones for Imperial Assault), monsters, treasures. 

Come on FFG!!!!

Now that Terrinoth is in development give some food to your people (we are starving here!!!)

Give us more game content!!!

I would love to see Skirmish mode for Descent and i would definitely pay for an upgrade kit to open this game mode.

Edited by jopan