Sign in to follow this  
w00kie

Star Wars Rebels: Interesting Ship info (SPOILERS)

Hi Everybody,

Hope this wasn't already posted but I didn't see it and I've been prowling the forums quite a bit since I started this game. If you haven't watched the season finale for Star Wars Rebels DON'T watch the video.

Anyhow, we've been loving Rebels in our house and really enjoyed the season finale. I was watching a video recap of it from the official feed and noticed something interesting. They give a preview of season 2 starting at around 8:45. They show a new squadron (Commander Sato and the Phoenix Squadron). Stop now if you'd rather see it in the video.

One of the ships is an A-Wing with the same paint scheme as the prototype A-Wing from Rebel Aces. Plus they show new ships and pilots.

It was interesting. It could be nothing. It could be an homage to the game. Maybe some of the Aces pilots appear in the show. Maybe they're just keeping continuity. Or maybe (he said hopefully) it's a clue to a Rebels expansion for X-Wing.

Regardless, I was pretty excited when I saw it. Might not be anything but then again, who knows.

A-wings in 4BBY. Canon switchups!

Unless they're R-22s.

There's a caption next to one of the frames of concept art that says" The A-Wing will shoot red lasers"

Ninja'd by Vanordm

Edited by Funkleton

Vader looks a bit 'malformed'? ... like all the rest ... well ....

I liked the graphics in Clone Wars better by far.

But we have an interesting ship there. The ships seemed not to be malformed. Its only the characters.

I believe they based Vader on Ralph McQuarrie's concept art. 

Vader, along with the Star Destroyers and TIE Figthers are indeed based on Ralph's early concept art. I'm not a HUGE fan just because it looks different from the films, but it's not a huge deal to me. It is weird to see A-wings so early on as well, but I really like the look of that cruiser! I like the folding wings in the back!

One of the ships is an A-Wing with the same paint scheme as the prototype A-Wing from Rebel Aces. Plus they show new ships and pilots.

The reason they're blue is because Prototype Pilot is the RMQ concept art.

Unless they're R-22s.

It's confirmed then, Disney is also on the band wagon of ruining my childhood.

That rule's been broken over and over already.

Edited by TIE Pilot

Unless they're R-22s.

Lucas already did that. What's one more?

:)

Honestly, while I've always considered the A-Wing to be something that's post-Yavin, there's nothing in any of the movies that actually say this. It's not like the whole plot line falls apart if the A-Wing is older then we thought.

It's not like they're making Ninja Turtles into aliens or something...

Honestly, while I've always considered the A-Wing to be something that's post-Yavin, there's nothing in any of the movies that actually say this. It's not like the whole plot line falls apart if the A-Wing is older then we thought.It's not like they're making Ninja Turtles into aliens or something...

No, but things like this and the life support in TIEs are indicative of a casual disregard for the old canon. We know that their intention has been to pick and choose what from the former EU to migrate into the new canon, but with little details like this there was no reason to not adhere to the older material. The stories they are telling could have been told just as well without these kinds of changes. The fact that they are altering little details like this is indicative that they either didn't know what the previous canon was, or they didn't care. Either way, if they can't be bothered to get minor details that don't effect the story right it means that the old background is pretty much completely out the window, no matter what they say. Which is very disappointing.

but with little details like this there was no reason to not adhere to the older material.

That's an assumption, you can't actually know what their reason for doing some of these things are, or even if there is a lack of reason.

They may have a number of reasons why they're disregarding these little details. But to be honest, I don't care how much or little of the EU canon they keep so these little details don't matter to me. If they have to be scarified to bring a cool story today, then by all means do so.

In fact IMO there's large chunks of EU stuff that we'd be better off without.

Edited by VanorDM

In fact IMO there's large chunks of EU stuff that we'd be better off without.

Absolutely. And I have no problem with them taking a machete to the EU in order for them to tell new stories. But let me repeat what I just said

They didn't need to change these details to tell their stories. In other words, they are changing things just to change things. They are changing things not to drive a story but because of negligence or just personal preference. And if they are able to make changes for those reasons, it means that pretty much nothing is going to be consistent and the SW canon will, in 5-10 years be as big a mess as ST.

They didn't need to change these details to tell their stories.

But they may of had reasons to make these changes. They couldn't really do 3 people in a tie if there's no internal life support.

As far as the A-Wing... The R22 A-Wing was around in the Rise of the Empire period, so perhaps these are R-22's, from what I can see there isn't much difference in look between the R-22 and RZ-1.

Is the A-wing showing up 5 years early or a TIE having some life support REALLY that big of an issue (I do remember them popping up post Yavin in Rogue Squadron II). Being OCD on such minor details isn't necessarily a sign of running a property correctly. Sometimes, the story, and the rule of cool, takes precedent. 

I do find that this OCD'ness over such minor details as being far too common in fandoms. 

Edited by Sithborg

They give a preview of season 2 starting at around 8:45. They show a new squadron (Commander Sato and the Phoenix Squadron).

And the location of the new, huge Rebel base in season 2? My bet is it's on Lothal :P

Of course one of the characters will lampshade it saying something along the lines of "it's the perfect location - right under their noses on the same planet as their new munitions factory ... It's the last place they'd think to look"

/facepalm

but the underlying attitude that those changes indicate.

And as I've said (twice now) your whole issue is based on the assumption that they don't care, and have no reason for doing these things.

There reason for doing these things is that they want to sell A-wing merch now. They're making Star Wars primarily a vehicle for selling toys; it was always a toyetic line, but now that they've got the canon by the bearings they can write it specifically for that purpose.